Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Frontier Pro 4x. I have two four wheelers and the wife wants to get a sxs. I was thinking about getting a 18' car hauler trailer. Size wise to works if I load the two four wheelers side ways. I am looking at 1900 pound trailer and 2500 pounds of toys and gear. Well under tow rating. Trailer is rate for 7000 pounds. Any suggestions on what I will need for a hitch set up. By loading it right I should be able to keep my tongue weight around 400#.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2015 Frontier Pro 4x. I have two four wheelers and the wife wants to get a sxs. I was thinking about getting a 18' car hauler trailer. Size wise to works if I load the two four wheelers side ways. I am looking at 1900 pound trailer and 2500 pounds of toys and gear. Well under tow rating. Trailer is rate for 7000 pounds. Any suggestions on what I will need for a hitch set up. By loading it right I should be able to keep my tongue weight around 400#.
[/QUOT
I have an option of getting an axle with a break. What do you think? Would it be needed?

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have an option of getting an axle with a break. What do you think? Would it be needed?
I would recommend getting a brake axle...much safer. On a loaded trailer without trailer brakes, a quick or emergency stop is the perfect setting for a jack knive. Damage will include your occupants, your truck, your trailer and everything on your trailer...and any cars/people around you. Trailer brakes prevent that.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hell yeah, your towed load is more than your truck weight, brakes on both axles if your driving more than 35-40mph.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would recommend getting a brake axle...much safer. On a loaded trailer without trailer brakes, a quick or emergency stop is the perfect setting for a jack knive. Damage will include your occupants, your truck, your trailer and everything on your trailer...and any cars/people around you. Trailer brakes prevent that.
Not to mention if the trailer starts to sway, you can dab the trailer brakes and accelerate the tow vehicle to get 'er straightened out. Not to mention, some states require brakes on trailers over a certain GVW.

I'd suggest getting brakes on both axles.

Reactions: Kelly Mack

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. I like the Anderson hitch and I will be getting the brakes on the trailer. Thanks again for all the advice and tips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tow my jeep with my frontier fairly regularly.

I have a 18 foot light duty 6k car hauler, weighs about 1600 lbs empty and my jeep weighs 3600 lbs. 5200 lbs together. So that’s about the same as what you’ll be doing.

You absolutely want trailer brakes because the stopping distance is much better with them. I have them on all four wheels with a proportional brake controller and it works pretty good. The brakes on the truck are the limitation really, I just replaced my rears so I’ll have to see if it’s improved

When I bought my trailer I thought I’d need a weight distribution hitch but the salesman said not to bother because the sway won’t be that bad on an open trailer. It would be nice to have but I don’t think it’s totally necessary, on the road it really isnt that bad.

As far as towing power goes, I have the 6 speed manual and I find myself just one gear lower than normal on most hills. I can’t complain, it has enough to get up even the most serious hills in vermont.

Overall I’m impressed how well this little truck pulls. I try to go slow and give it the space it needs, it hasn’t let me down yet.

·
Registered
582 Posts
When I bought my trailer I thought I’d need a weight distribution hitch but the salesman said not to bother because the sway won’t be that bad on an open trailer. It would be nice to have but I don’t think it’s totally necessary, on the road it really isnt that bad.
Sway is more a matter of an improperly-balanced load than the type of trailer. An enclosed can get more sway because of crosswinds on the larger surface area, but an improperly-balanced open trailer will sway just as easily as an improperly-balanced enclosed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information. I have decided to go with brakes on all four wheels. I will see how it acts without the weight distribution hitch. If it's squirrelly I will use on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. I picked up my trailer. My 2015 pro 4x didn't come with a tow package. When I got it I added a receiver hitch and a four pin plug. Getting ready for my car hauler trailer I took it to a shop that specializes in hitches and wiring. They installed a brake controller and seven way plug. I picked up my trailer right before the placed closed. All I had were brake lights. When I got ready to leave they were gone. I drove the 100 miles home with my trailer. I took the trailer plug apart and it was wired wrong. Wired it correctly and now my new trailer has lights but the trailer brake controller doesn't do anything as far as actuating the trailer brakes. Any clues? Going to call the shop that installed the wire harness and controller tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
They probably didn’t install the relays in the passenger kick panel. It’s an easy fix, you can do it yourself in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The shop was supposed to have done that when they did the wire harness. If the relays are not there that's probably the problem? My reciept does show any relays.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just want to thank everyone who gave advice. Brake issue taken care of. Brakes were adjusted all the way out. Everything works perfect now. I didn't need the stabilizer hitch. Pulls perfect. I am so glad I got the brakes. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts