1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
239 Posts
It seems the state authorities are all going to start cracking down on modified cars. Here in WA they are going to target those who fit after market exhausts, extractors, turbos, cams etc anything that will effect emmissions, forcing you to have the vehicle pass emmission test at around $3k a full test before they allow you to drive the vehicle with these mods. In fact they are going to hit up anyone that effectively alters the car from factory. Suspension height, wheel size, tint
Most enthusiasts care for their vehicles with great detail, there are many more vehicles on the road that are unsafe with bad tyres/brakes/blowing smoke and as usual they target those whose cars are well cared for and very safe(mostly). Maybe they think the people who drive the bombs have no money and can't/won't pay the fines anyway so they go after those who they think can.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Remember I mentioned the new National Code of Practice some time ago and the new strict rules we are having in the ACT?Well looks like NSW is running with them too.
I am wondering if they are going to make all vehicles comply or just anything modded from this date?
All other states are sure to follow I guess

·
Registered
226 Posts
For those who dont know how it started here it is.

"The issue was hastened by a coroners verdict which involved a fatality caused by a 4wd which had an excessive lift."

This is all the data that the Minister needs to make the Law he has. Once the Coroner has made his recommendations, to avoid any criticism, and show that he is concerned about the safety off all road users, Mr Daley has made his dicision and passed this new Law.

Given the circumstances of the Laws introduction, there is NO WAY the Law will be defeated, abolished or over turned. Accept that. What we need to do is rather then condenm his actuions we need to be able to offer an alternative to the Law that is more favourable to ALL concerned.

For this reason the old system will NEVER return. Due to the Coroners verdict something had to be done to improve the publics safety. Unfortunaltey the common sense approach that a motor vehicle byu itself will not kill and we all know that ability goes to the driver of the vehicle, either intentionally or unintentionally.

We will assumes this death relates to unintentionally acts of a driver, not driving to his capabitlities, his vehicles modified driving characteristics and the road conditions at the time.

In the safety of ALL members of the Public, the Minister, Mr Daley, had to do something and his something looks nothing more then a knee jerk reation with little consultation with experts in that specific area.

What WE need to do is to show how detrimental the new Law is to the Law abiding commubnity and offer an alternative that WE, Mr Daley and the broader Community can ALL accept.

For that I go back to my original post, what is a fair and workable way of regulating and control the modifing of vehicles in a safe and amicable manner.

To do this and if the Minister has made this law as a result of the Coroner's findings we need to know the accident, the details about the accident and mainly just what the Coroner's recommendation is. Apart from what and how the vehicle was modified it still comes back to driver error, not the vehicle.

To do this and if the Minister has made this law as a result of the Coroner's findings we need to know the accident, the details about the accident and mainly just what the Coroner's recommendation is. Apart from what and how the vehicle was modified it still comes back to driver error, not the vehicle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
"excessive lift" -versus- 50mm Max (incl tyres/suspension/body lift) :thatswck:

Interestingly, I found my Navara handled much better on the road when I upgraded the suspension and fitted different tyres, with and LT construction. The vehicle carried load better, the sagged front end was corrected and the vehicle rode more level. The tyre sidewall roll was eliminated and the car seemed to steer/track better. Oh, and yeah, it added about 3" overall lift I guess I am now considered as "unroadworthy" in NSW, lucky for now I live in Vic, but i'm sure we will slide down the same s#!t hill soon.

Don't get me wrong, I support the idea of needing uniform regulations/laws in place for vehicle modification, but they need to be thoroughly discussed and researched before they are brought into practice. They also need to be practical.
With the direction 4WD vehicle manufacturers are heading, softening up their new models, it wont be long and we wont be able to get into a lot of the great places Australia has on offer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great News for all those in NSW

The pending VSI 50 suspension regulations have been INDEFINITELY POSTPONED by the NSW RTA!

It's great to see that the people of Australia still have some say in things :goodjob:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Cool. :goodjob:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts