Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently building a 2015 Frontier 4wd longbed and am going to swap a frontier M226 into it. Whie I am at it I am gonna install the Deaver 10 leaf pack springs. I know I wont get a lot of travel with the stock shock set up. I also don't want to cute the bed up and put in a bed cage. I have been looking into a cantilever suspension for the rear of my truck. Looks like I will have to relocate the spare tire to the bed but that's not a huge deal because it was gonna happen anyways. Does anyone have experience building or calculating cantilever suspension? I found a thread on here but it was aimed at swapping in the Titan M226. I plan on keeping the springs under the frame and hoping to get 14 -16 inches of travel. Is this a realistic number? Any think will help.
thanks
Carl

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
A more common term for this type of suspension is quarter elliptic leaf spring.

1/4 cause the standard type of leaf springs (stock) is half elliptic. Old school leaf springs had two sets of springs set on top of each other. Think horse buggy. 1/4 Es are cheap and provide alot of travel. But they don't carry weight well and are not very stable at speed unless you link the rear axle. If you are going that route you might as well use coil overs.

The race pack PRG offer can travel up to 16". The limitation is shock travel. Even with the 1/4 E you will run into the same limitation.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
There is a local fab guy who built a rear cantilever set up for his Fronty. I'll see if I can dig up some pix and contact info for you.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I had the PRG/Deaver race pack(for sale by the way,$450,pick up only) with the shackles and you won't get close to 14"-16" of travel.
If you go to page 2 of my build thread you can see how I took my measurements.
Even if the cantilever set-up allowed for enough shock travel,the springs are the limiting factor.
I maybe got 12" with that set-up.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Didn't you say you were going to design a set of control arms?
Any progress?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts