Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday the wife was driving the truck and we hit a wet patch of road and the truck starting fishtailing some, she lost control and off the road we went. We took out two mailboxes and several trees in the woods, luckily the trees stopped our rapid entrance into the woods. It was the scariest wreck I've ever been in as that area has a lot of steep hills and cliffs in the woods and I didn't want to find out if a fall down one of those in a truck would be possible to live through. Luckily to get out of there all I had to do was put her in 4 low and hit reverse. I drove her home no problem. We got shaken up but no one was hurt. The truck got pretty banged up obviously, I found out just how much abuse they can take and keep going. Biggest pain about this is dealing with the damn cops about it. In the state of Indiana anytime you have an auto accident you must fill out this form to prove you have insurance or they suspend your license. I have to go to the freakin sheriff's office to get the form because they won't even fax it to my insurance agent. Since it's "your responsibility" to retrieve the form. My insurance company has been real easy to deal with the truck's already at the body shop and I have my rental. This ever happen to anyone else?

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
^Hope everything works out for you. It could've been alot worse.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Good thing you're ok.
Does your truck have the VDC ? With mine I tried to make it fish tail on washboard and it seriously wouldn't. How hard did you hit the trees, did your air bags go off? I've always wondered what kind of impact would set them off.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yeah, glad you are okay. Did a similar thing with my Titan. It didn't make it due to a tweak in the frame though.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
my friend went thru the same last winter, his truck didnt make it. no frame damage but was hit on every single panel

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
she's lucky she wasnt charged with leaving the scene of an accident. she would be looking at that if this had happened in Va and several other states.

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
Glad to hear there were no injuries. Time for a 2010.

Clint

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Yeah I rolled mine. Now I have a bent up truck that I can whoop on:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah everything's ok, the truck is not going to be totaled, they're repairing it. The airbags didn't go off even though we were going a pretty good speed when this happened. I don't think my truck is equipped with the vdc option I think all it has is the anti slip. We wouldn't have gotten charged with leaving the scene since an off duty cop happened to see us while we were still sitting there and called it in. No way am I getting a 10 since my 07 is paid for, I'll be driving her till she's a complete rustbucket at least.

·
Registered
192 Posts
she's lucky she wasnt charged with leaving the scene of an accident. she would be looking at that if this had happened in Va and several other states.
I understand its likely different in other states, but here in Missouri you can't get charged with leaving the scene unless there was another car involved and you didn't stop and provide your information to the other driver (at least thats how I understand it). In other words, the "victim" driver has to call the cops and complain that the other driver took off. We don't have anything enforcement related with the insurance company either.

I think its a little ridiculous that you might have to wait around for a cop if there isn't another vehicle involved, but I suspect that quirk of the law is designed to help catch drunk drivers, which I'm all for. On the other hand, I doubt its effective at all since I suspect a drunk driver would be better off taking the "leaving the scene" ticket and trying to plead ignorance than getting the DUI/DWI.

OP, glad to hear everyone was ok. Best of luck with the repair.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reminds me of my first accident. Only had my license about 2 months, and had just picked a friend up and was driving to another friends house at night. It had snowed about a week earlier so all the roads were cleared...except for one blind curve on the road I was on. I knew I was screwed as soon as I saw the snow/ice, and managed to get almost all the way around the curve before I went into the woods. SOMEHOW I missed every large tree and only hit saplings...which was amazing the next morning when I was how many mature trees were in the area. I went through the ONLY section in about 100 yards where you could have fit a car. Luckily it only put a small dent in Dad's Civic, which already had 200k miles on it so he didn't care too much and didn't bother to get it fixed. Of course I think that was the last time I ever was able to borrow his car.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
What kind of tires do you have? Think I would try something different right away.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the craptastic OEM Longtrail tires, they still have a fair bit of tread left. I gotta admit I'm not a huge fan of em. What tires give the best traction for our trucks?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've had Bridgestone Revo's, which are a great tire both on and off road. Pretty sticky, but they are rated for about 40k miles and that's about all I got out of them.

Now I've got Pirelli Scorpions, and they are just as sticky on-road as the Revo, and maybe only slightly less good off-road, but I've still been happy with them. They are heavy though and my milage has suffered, but at the same time I think they'll last a lot longer than the Bridgestones. I talked to a guy at Tire-Discounter's while I was getting an alignment who gave pretty much the same opinion of the two tires.

EDIT: Since you mentioned water I'll add this too: I gave the Revo's hell in the water and they still would stick on a hard corner. I don't feel quite as confident in the rain with the Scorpions, but they've never failed me either and they do seem to spin less from a stoplight on wet pavement. I think I just don't drive them quite as hard in the rain because I've matured (some). Neither have ever hydroplaned, even in hard rain or when the road to my parents gets flooded and I don't bother to slow down as much as I should.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Since pavement traction isn't incredibly vehicle specific (outside of large differences in vehicle weight), I would just goto Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and read reviews to find something you like. Users rate tires on a bunch of different dimensions and they do a nice job with their rating aggregation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts