Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the red highlighted rubber thing?

I hope that this hasn't been asked before... I searched for "rubber thing" and "what is this" :)

I am referring to the red highlighted rubber piece just below the ignition switch.

I'm thinking this would be an ideal place for a special function keypad for a car computer. (nav,music,internet, dvd, next, previous, basically anything that should be on a car stereo... plus some.)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think its just there so your keys dont hit the plastic and scratch it/ make noise.

I'm probably wrong though..

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah looks like they made them a little bigger on the newer ones. but yeah its to keep your keys from annoyingly destroying your dash there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh. Well, I didn't even notice that my keys hung down there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yup...except the keys still hit the side of the steering colum and scratch the crap out of that lol. Cheap Nissan plastic...gotta love it

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Back when the ignition key and the door key were different, I developed the habit of taking the ignition key off and just leaving it in the ignition. Now, I atleast drop it it in my pocket or under the floor mat when Im home and carry an extra key on my key chain for the doors.
No sense having a bunch of keys flopping around there.

·
Super Moderator
11,404 Posts
I keep the key and the remote on it's own ring.

Clint

·
Registered
272 Posts
I keep the key and the remote on it's own ring.

Clint

x2 i do the same...they have been doing construction on my street and about the 2nd time going down the street, i took all of my keys off my truck key and keep them in my cup holder, the noise they were making were driving me insane!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha. I didn't know this was such a problem. I mean I'm glad NISSAN's engineers tried to remedy the problem, but maybe they should work on a different plastic formula.

I already have two sets of keys one for vehicles one for keys I may need to use while my truck is on. I guess it would make sense now to have separate rings for each vehicle now that I drive one as a primary.

Oh, the logistics of keys...

And as for Mathsters solution...

I live in the Phoenix Metro... I wouldn't advise that here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts