Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-
I am looking to replace my my baby, 2010 Frontier LE, that just got totalled with a 2010 Pro-X. Love them with the exception of the white gauge assembly. Is it possible to replace them with the LE traditional LED/ black background gauge assembly? Thanks.

Licoricekid

·
Registered
894 Posts
Physically Yes, you can. but there may be some programing issues and then the mileage would be different. I would talk to the dealer. The do make aftermarket white plates for our trucks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
He doesn't like the white gauges on the Pro4X wants to change it back to black/charcoal regular kind. Like msk59 due to the odometer I believe it would be illegal to install another cluster, unless it was bad and the dealer would have to do it for it to be legal. I'm just guessing here.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Yep in the gauge cluster. Crazy huh?

·
Registered
894 Posts
If they are stored in the gauge cluster then the swap should be easy. If they are stored in the ECM then the new gauge cluster may not work because it will not communicate with the new cluster. I think there are threads on this topic.

OP is just the opposite to me. I want those white gauge clusters and he wants regular

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've had both and I definitely prefer the white gauges myself...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Might depend on which state you are in. In some states maybe all you have to do is declare the actual mileage when you sell it. You could check with the DMV if you can't transfer the miles easily.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Look on Ebay & find a cluster that matches what you want. It could even come from an older model Pathfinder with the correct options, just make sure it has both the odometer & 4x4 windows on it. It doesn't matter too much what year or how many miles it has if it comes from a Frontier because all you're after is the number plate that's inside the cluster. Once you find a cluster that matches this is what you do:

1. Carefully take the donor cluster apart

2. Carefully remove the needles & plate from the donor cluster. Warning: the number plates are glued in place. Just work on it a little at a time & it'll come out. DO NOT BEND IT!

3. Once thats done set all the donor stuff to the side in a safe place

4. Take several close-up pics of each needle in your cluster with the key in both the OFF & ON positions. Make sure they're good pics because you're going to have to refer back to them later.

5. Remove the negative battery cable

6. Take your dash apart & remove your cluster

7. Carefully take your stock cluster apart. Warning: Take one last special note of where all your needles are when they're at rest. Do your absolute best NOT to twist the needles when removing them. This is so you don't change the position of the center piece.

8. Pull gently but firmly straight up to remove the needles. Hint: maybe use a wide fork with a napkin under it to pry the needles off

9. Same as before, work your way around & remove the number plate paying special attention NOT to bend it

10. Swap everything from the donor cluster to the stock cluster

11. Install the stock cluster back in the truck but leave the front glass to it slightly OPEN so you can get to the needles & adjust them if need be.

12. Replace negative battery cable

13. Turn key to ON, leave in ON position for few seconds & note the position of each of the needles, then turn the key back to OFF.

14. Wait a couple of minutes & you'll see the cluster 'reset' itself.

15. Adjust needles to as close to their original resting positions as you can.

16. Take the truck for a test drive to make sure all needles move freely Hint: let someone follow you so you can compare accuracy of your speedo. FYI: 2000rpm=70mph (4x2 CC SB Auto V6)

17. It may take several attempts but repeat steps 13 thru 16 to return gauges back to original positions

18. Once satisfied where gauge needles are then close cluster glass & install cluster

19. Reinstall dash & other trim pieces to truck

20. Enjoy your new instrument cluster!

NOTE: I give these instructions ONLY as a guide as to how I worked on my instrument cluster. I DO NOT accept ANY responsibility if you attempt these instructions on your or anyone else's vehicle.

It sucks & is sad I, or anyone else, has to put something like this in writing when trying to help another person out. I suppose its the type of world we live in these days. :(

Anyways, I hope this helps & works out for you. Good luck & post up some pics if you get your cluster swapped out!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks so much im gonna be using some of these steps to replace the leds in the gauge cluster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts