Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If anyone has a chance at some point I was wondering if you could check your automatic climate control operation.

Basically when you press auto and the system is calling for heat, once the engine warms up a bit it goes to floor and the fan increases to full. The auto light is on. The AC light is on. It’s minus 17 c to minus 30 c here. I know I can just leave it in full auto mode but with no chance of the AC ever coming on in this weather I wanted to turn off the AC light. Problem is when I push the AC button the fan speed doesn’t automatically change. It seems to sit at a medium high setting and wont go above that which isnt enough for how cold it is. If I turn off the AC and use any air flow options other than pure floor the fan speed works automatically. As in it will go to full blast when needed and reduce normally as the interior warms.

So to test if yours does the same next time you are in your truck just do the following

1.Make sure it’s in full auto. Confirm the AC light is on. Set temp around 22 c (72 f)

2.Start driving normally until engine is warmed

3.When the engine is fully warmed and the fan is blowing full blast simply press the AC button to turn off. (in mine the fan speed reduces from full to 2/3 ish)

4.Turn the temperature as high as it will go. Does the fan increase to full?

5.Turn the temperature as low as it will go. Does the fan decrease? it may even switch to vent depending on your temp.

6.Press, bi-level defrost or vent or floor/vent. Repeat 4 and 5 (the auto light will turn off but fan still operates in automatic mode).

It’s not a huge problem as I still get normal heat in most modes. Though it could be a symptom that it's on the way out. It also bugs me that the way I want it set doesn’t seem to work the way I believe it should.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would try this, but at 72F and in automatic, it will be blowing cold air out. The temp outside will be higher than that today here in Florida.

Maybe it's just that I'm missing something or because you live in a different climate. I almost never use auto mode, but for about 11.9 months out of the year, my thermostat stays on 60, or as low as possible on the vehicle, so no real need for auto, I just increase or decrease fan speed as I feel necessary and swap from internal recirc to outside based on if I'm in city traffic and don't want to smell fumes or concrete, or out on the drive home and can get fresh air. I guess I just haven't found what the purpose of using the Auto mode is for is what I'm saying. If it's cold where you're at, then why can't you just crank the heat up till it feels comfortable and adjust from there?

·
Registered
340 Posts
My biggest complaint so far about my frontier is the climate control/heating system. My old car that had a similar system I would hit auto and set the temp. The fan speed and vents would just adjust on their own and make cabin comfortable. It would cycle the AC to remove moisture inside the cabin.

The frontier i can't use auto at all. It seems to want to blow cold air at my feet.

·
Admin
3,406 Posts
I can tell you I have been disappointed that simply turning off AC will disable full auto operation (in a heating situation) even thought the Auto light stays on, but I will try to actually test for you later today to give you exact answers to your questions, as it is -10C today so it should be a good test.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Its only 26 F here and snowing, when I go out later I'll try and test mine but I don't normally use auto as I set my temp ~64 on heat and drive comfortably.

Having been stationed in Greenland with down to -50 C with wind chills, upstate NY feels downright warm to me now::smile::

·
Admin
3,406 Posts
2. Start driving normally until engine is warmed

3. When the engine is fully warmed and the fan is blowing full blast simply press the AC button to turn off. (in mine the fan speed reduces from full to 2/3 ish)

4. Turn the temp to as high as it will go. Does the fan increase to full?
NO

5. Turn the fan as low as it will go. Does the fan decrease? it may even switch to vent depending on your temp.
Yes, but is that what you meant to ask by asking if the fan decreased?

6. Press, bi-level defrost or vent or floor/vent. Repeat 4 and 5 (the auto light will turn off but fan still operates in automatic mode).

Repeating step 4-5 after step six did nothing. I feel like you may have left out a step in your instructions such as putting back into auto mode.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
2.Start driving normally until engine is warmed

3.When the engine is fully warmed and the fan is blowing full blast simply press the AC button to turn off. (in mine the fan speed reduces from full to 2/3 ish)

4.Turn the temp to as high as it will go. Does the fan increase to full?

NO

5.Turn the fan as low as it will go. Does the fan decrease? it may even switch to vent depending on your temp.

Yes, but is that what you meant to ask by asking if the fan decreased?

6.Press, bi-level defrost or vent or floor/vent. Repeat 4 and 5 (the auto light will turn off but fan still operates in automatic mode).

Repeating step 4-5 after step six did nothing. I feel like you may have left out a step in your instructions such as putting back into auto mode.

Sorry 5 was supposed to be turn the temperature as low as it will go and report back on what the fan does.

With 6 you don't need to put it back in auto mode just change it too something other then floor and report on how the fan operates. When changing the temp.

Repeating step 4 and 5 did nothing because of me saying to turn the fan as low as it would go, instead of what I meant to say the turning temp as low as it would go. Very sorry for that

Looks like your floor with AC off operates the same as mine. They way they have it set up doesn't make sense to me.

·
Admin
3,406 Posts
Sorry 5 was supposed to be turn the temperature as low as it will go and report back on what the fan does.
gotcha. no problem. I'll give it another try when I have a chance. You may want to edit your original post in case someone else tries it.

Reactions: mdsjohna

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fixed original post. Good idea with the pics I should have included them in my post.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Problem is on floor and AC off it just doesn't blow hard enough in my very cold climate. While it blows perfectly fine in EVERY other mode. Wonder if they had some logic behind that.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...sorry, dealing with a freezing rain storm here now today so I haven't left the house.

FYSA, yesterday I had the heat dual temp controls on 65 with re-circulate and the cab got so hot I had to turn it down to 63 (which is right before the A/C comes on) and the cab still took about 10 minutes to cool off after I opened it up for "fresh" air on the control panel.

·
Premium Member
7,384 Posts
The AC as a 'default-on' may be for coping with moisture/snow in the foot area as any warm air flowing down there would cause the humidity in the cab to increase...thus potentially fogging the windows via condensation on the cold glass. Any help in rationalizing?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The AC as a 'default-on' may be for coping with moisture/snow in the foot area as any warm air flowing down there would cause the humidity in the cab to increase...thus potentially fogging the windows via condensation on the cold glass. Any help in rationalizing?

I wasn't questioning the default on for the AC. I know it's on for dehumidifying. I also know just because the light is on doesn't necessarily mean the AC clutch is energized. In my case the AC clutch will never be on because it is -20 outside

What I am questioning is why when AC button is off and air is directed to floor that the fan speed acts different then when in vent, vent/floor, defrost and defrost/floor. Maybe I'll make a video tonight so it's easier to see.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Steps 1 and 2 produced the same results as you guys got.
3. Once the engine got warm, I pressed AC off and fan speed reduced to 2/3.
4. Increased temp to max, it changed from foot/windshield to just foot vent.
5. Decrease temp to min, it changes over to upper vents (front) but the AC remains turned off.

I agree it's a bit odd that the fan never seems to go above 2/3 on auto mode. But ever since I got lasik my eyes get a little dry in the car, so I don't mind not being blasted in the face with air. I appreciate the way the AC stays off, for fuel savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the comments and to those who tested their system.

I don't like they way this one setting works/agree with how they have it programmed. At least I now know it's how it is and its not something wrong with mine.

·
Admin
3,406 Posts
Here are the final results for what it's worth:

Corrrected#5) Fan lowers, switches to vent

Bi-Level high temp, fan never goes above half way

Bi-Level low temp, fan never goes above half way

Floor/Defrost - low temp - fan goes almost full

Floor/Defrost - high temp -> Fan goes full

For me obviously something is different on Floor/Defrost, I assume the AC is actually on during this (even though AC light is off).

In any case, this programming is quite odd.

Reactions: mdsjohna
1 - 17 of 17 Posts