Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if I can swap cams without pulling the heads off? It looks like a long distance to cover pulling them out the front. I'm looking for a way to be able to swap cams in/out easily to test their performance.

Thanks!

· Gone but not forgotten Member
5,733 Posts
That is a good question. Back when ,we did it with pushroad motors( Chevy, Fords, Harley's) Just needed a way to hold up the lifters( magnets, or you could buy a tool, if I remember right, Harley's you could just remove the lifters).
The only overhead cam motors,were 750 Honda 4's. My memory is terrible but I am sure we didn't have too. The reason is because to pull the head, you either had to pull the motor or cut out the lower frame tube.
We changed a lot of cams on stock bikes and never did either. The Hondas had rocker arms where the Nissans don't.I don't know if that makes a difference.
No matter what, there is no easy way to do it either way. Just think how long it takes to change the timing chain.

5,733 Posts
I guess you can pull everything off the front end, radiator, grill, condenser(?)etc.
Don't know about plate bolt or retainer.
Almost sounds easier to pull the motor.
No easy way!!!

Reactions: Yz250fridin

· Registered
337 Posts
Everything I have read in the service manuals says the heads have to be removed. There's really only a couple of cams for these frontier vg33's. There's a 392/264, that gives about 8 hp, and another 440/260 that gives you 15. Good luck.

5,733 Posts
Not hardly worth the trouble. I love turbos since my last 3 steet trucks were diesels.That would be the way to go. Of course there are no kits available. I am not smart enough to design a system either. I do have friends that have but it is illegal for my truck.

· Registered
337 Posts

5,733 Posts
A good friend of mine builds race cars, motors in Vegas.When he lived here , his dad owned an auto parts store , machine shop and garage.
Him and his brother were hot rod go fast guys.
Nick had a built Henry J gasser for the drags strip , Rat motor. His street car was a turbocharged , water injected 240 Z. His Suzuki motorcycle was turboed also. His brother had a 27 T roadster with a 396 baby rat.
We went to lunch in the shop truck, a Surnurban. I said " finally something stock!". We drove awhile and saw a button on the dash."what's that button for?". Answer. "Nitrous". Had to over 35 years ago.
He races roundup round stock cars. Older than me. Late sixties.

· Registered
337 Posts
The VG33 was a giant killer in the mid 80's! They owned can am with that engine, with turbo's!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.