Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if I can swap cams without pulling the heads off? It looks like a long distance to cover pulling them out the front. I'm looking for a way to be able to swap cams in/out easily to test their performance.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
That is a good question. Back when ,we did it with pushroad motors( Chevy, Fords, Harley's) Just needed a way to hold up the lifters( magnets, or you could buy a tool, if I remember right, Harley's you could just remove the lifters).
The only overhead cam motors,were 750 Honda 4's. My memory is terrible but I am sure we didn't have too. The reason is because to pull the head, you either had to pull the motor or cut out the lower frame tube.
We changed a lot of cams on stock bikes and never did either. The Hondas had rocker arms where the Nissans don't.I don't know if that makes a difference.
No matter what, there is no easy way to do it either way. Just think how long it takes to change the timing chain.

·
Registered
674 Posts
That depends if you can access the locating plate bolt and it's retainer covers. They are up by the firewall. Also depends if the condenser will allow you enough room to pull them out the front

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I guess you can pull everything off the front end, radiator, grill, condenser(?)etc.
Don't know about plate bolt or retainer.
Almost sounds easier to pull the motor.
No easy way!!!

Reactions: Yz250fridin

·
Registered
337 Posts
Everything I have read in the service manuals says the heads have to be removed. There's really only a couple of cams for these frontier vg33's. There's a 392/264, that gives about 8 hp, and another 440/260 that gives you 15. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Not hardly worth the trouble. I love turbos since my last 3 steet trucks were diesels.That would be the way to go. Of course there are no kits available. I am not smart enough to design a system either. I do have friends that have but it is illegal for my truck.

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
A good friend of mine builds race cars, motors in Vegas.When he lived here , his dad owned an auto parts store , machine shop and garage.
Him and his brother were hot rod go fast guys.
Nick had a built Henry J gasser for the drags strip , Rat motor. His street car was a turbocharged , water injected 240 Z. His Suzuki motorcycle was turboed also. His brother had a 27 T roadster with a 396 baby rat.
We went to lunch in the shop truck, a Surnurban. I said " finally something stock!". We drove awhile and saw a button on the dash."what's that button for?". Answer. "Nitrous". Had to over 35 years ago.
He races roundup round stock cars. Older than me. Late sixties.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The VG33 was a giant killer in the mid 80's! They owned can am with that engine, with turbo's!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts