Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 2008 Nissan Frontier a year ago and for some reason the driver side door does not shut all the way. I don’t know much about cars but I think I just need to realign the door. I have no idea why it came out of line. Does anyone know if this is something I can do myself, and how? Or know of any helpful videos. Money is tight right now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Frontier SV crew cab, short bed, 6 speed manual transmission, Value Truck Package
828 Posts
Check the seal around the door. I'm guessing it's getting pinched. Compare it to the passenger side (which I assume works).

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
Is it sagging? If you hold the bottom at the back can you lift it does it have play? Look at the hinges for anything unusual, did you spray the latch with lubricant, know anyone who can try and assist you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for responses, ill try out a few things you guys mentioned on my lunch break. Here are a few more details i should have mentioned. The door closes tightly at the bottom and then right above the middle of the door where the latch is it starts to stick out. I greased the latch and when I push the latch in with something it seems to work properly (it shuts and then i pull the handle and it opens as it should. This problem with the door causes the cargo light and the door ajar light to be on constantly. Every time i hit a small little bump in the road or take a sharp turn the door ajar light flickers on and off. It definitely isnt the seal around the door as it sticks out too much. posting a full picture of the door.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
check top of window frame for scratches where someone jammed a screwdriver and tried to pry open enough to unlock door and ended up bending entire upper window frame.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
check top of window frame for scratches where someone jammed a screwdriver and tried to pry open enough to unlock door and ended up bending entire upper window frame.
What bajasam said.

Did AAA need to unlock your car? They will pry open the top right corner of the door to access the power lock switch with a probe... which could bend the entire door. I've seen some of those idiots hammer a wooden wedge between the door and the jamb.

Are the hinges loose or damaged ?

Was it like this when you bought it ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not quite sure if the hinges are loose. The door doesn't really move if i wiggle it. It was fine when i bought it, but probable 6 months after i bought it i started having problems with the door ajar light. I wasn't in any accidents and i cant think of any specific thing that would cause this. I pretty much just drive it to and from work. I thought it was just the sensor because the door didnt look off so I put a small piece of foam tape inside the door to increase the pressure on the sensor. That seemed to work for a little bit at first but it didnt last.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If it was fine when you bought it, the problem is in the hinge. Either a broken pin, or the hinge is loose and needs adjustment. I would suggest bringing it to a body shop for adjustment.

The striker is adjustable, but it doesn't look like yours has moved at all. I guess you could try that first.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
It door fits at the bottom but is ajar at the top. Does not make sense at all. Are you sure this truck was not in an accident before you bought it. Look at the paint; has it been resprayed?

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,018 Posts
Looks like somebody may have locked the keys in at one time and then a locksmith got a little overzealous with use of the little airbag that goes between the door and the body to open it up in order to gain access.

·
Registered
2012 SV 4WD
91 Posts
In the first photo of the thread you can see a scratch on the door halfway down where it meets the jamb.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really am starting to think it's the striker. (I believe that's the correct terminology) If you look at this picture the black paint is wearing off and there's exposed metal. The door is completely fine and it starts to stick out right where the striker/ handle is. It's hard to tell in the pictures i uploaded but I can tell it's something causing the door to stick out. Not the door itself. Would it be a bad idea to try and "bend" the striker down just a hair. I was thinking I would take a flat block of wood and gently hit it until it bends down or use a pry bar. I'm talking just a very small amount to just see if it improves at all. I don't want to make it worse, but i honestly think that's what it needs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts