Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I broke the dowel pin and the cam gear sprocket on the intake side camshaft after head gasket replacement. Right after I installed back everything and inspected all connections, I ran the engine at idle speed for about 30 seconds and revved up the engine at about 3,000 RPM and finally heard that low thud sound that immediately killed the engine. After inspection, I found the cam gear sprocket and the dowel for the intake camshaft broke. Lucky, all valves are fine. Due to less parts availability here in Guam, I am wondering if I can use the camshafts for a 2003 to 2005 Atima with a QR engine to fit my 2006 Frontier.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The 08/2001-01/2004 Altima QR25DE use the exact same exhaust camshaft and VTC gear as the 2006 Frontier QR25DE. The intake camshafts are different part numbers; they will probably "fit," but my guess is that the valve lobe profiles are different between the two cams. Will it create any issues is hard to say. I would think the cam for the Frontier is probably designed for more torque rather than horsepower when compared to the Altima, but that's just speculation on my part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup you're right. Altima's own is somehow .024 taller. Any thoughts on how this would affect performance? My guess will be on fuel efficiency. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yup you're right. Altima's own is somehow .024 taller. Any thoughts on how this would affect performance? My guess will be on fuel efficiency. Thanks for the reply.
Well, obviously, it will affect performance,which could affect fuel mileage. More lift will open the valve more, which lets in more air and thus would require more fuel, but would create more power; more lift is what one would seek in a performance camshaft. You could look up the torque and horsepower specs for each engine and compare, which would be telling. If you were to search "Nissan QR engine" on Wikipedia, you might find that info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally finished installing the cams from a 2005 altima QR. I used permatex ultra slick assembly lube this time around instead of just motor oil. Started the engine without the fuel pump fuse to let it spin for about 15 seconds 3x. So far so good. Every thing seems fine and engine sounds better. Road tested the truck and it feels stronger. I appreciate your help. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts