Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Lost me.. so do I need to take it in or do you think maybe discount tire could do this?
Each TPMS sensor emits a different signal so the TPMS control unit (which is part of the Body Control module or "BCM") can distinguish which sensor is which. If they all sent the same identical signal, the TPMS control unit would know which tire is the front left, or right rear, etc. So, when a sensor is replaced, for example, the control unit is not automatically going to recognize it; the ID registration process must be performed so that the control unit can "see" it.
So, moving your trucks wheels and TPMS sensors to your wife's Pathfinder is no different than installing four, new TPMS sensors. A TPMS ID registration process must be performed so that your wife's Pathfinder can "see" these four "new" (at least to this vehicle) TPMS sensors.

A dealer, tire shop and many independent auto repair shops can do this service for you. Or, you can do it yourself. The TPMS diagnostic sensor is a white, 2-pin connector that runs on the same harness as the OBD II diagnostic port under the driver's side of the dash. It has 1-wire to it and my be wrapped to the main harness with blue electrical tape. While a TPMS trigger tool, like mentioned in a previous post on this thread, make the job easier, it is not necessary. All that's needed is a bent-up paper clip and a tire pressure gauge. I discussed this procedure on another thread and there are YouTube vids on how to do it, as well.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ok thanks for all your help, I’ve seen or heard about this but wasn’t sure about trying it myself but I might try. Thanks again smj!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ok I read and watched YouTube on the situation and it looks easy enough! I’m just always Leary about prodding around in the electronics of anything now days..afraid of frying the computer.😬 didn’t grow up with this technology..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts