Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Can’t access TPMS relearn mode...

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  MiniDuti 
#1 · (Edited)
First of all, I’ve read and re-read all the guides, the manual and already had a few goes at solving my issue.

I fitted my winter wheels this weekend; a set of OEM 5-spikes with OEM sensors still fitted, with new Cooper Evolution Winter tires.

I followed Raine’s guide; turn ignition to ON position, waited until the light went from flashing to solid, grounded wire 6 times, BUT I now realize the light was flashing fast, not slow.

Wentout on the highway for 20mins or so and the light just flashed constantly. So I returned home to try again.

Now, when I turn the ignition to ON, the light comes on solid, it never flashes. I tried waiting the 1 min and grounding the wire and on the 5th touch, the light goes to flashing fast and never stops.

So, I’m stuck. What is the current state of my TPMS system? And how do I get back to relearn mode? ?

#5 ·
Thanks guys.

I did see this recommended elsewhere and tried it, but doesn’t seem to have had an effect ?
Did they check the sensors for you.. could just be bad, just one of them would do it.
Agreed, could be, but the standard warning for this is the light flashing for 1 min then going to constant, which is where you would hop into relearn mode. Having driven the truck with the light flashing ‘fast’ for over 20mins, I’m not sure if the system is now in some other mode where it is leaving the light on solid. This would be the warning light state for a tire below pressure, per the manual, but I don’t believe the sensors have been registered. As above, if I ground the wire just 5 times, the light goes from solid to flashing ‘fast’ and continues flashing indefinitely until the ignition is turned off.

#9 ·
Questions:

• Did you have different wheels on with TPMS before putting on the winter set?
  • What year is your truck?
Hey, it’s a 2019 S, so had 15” steelies with TPMS.

Fitted a set of 5-spoke 16” (SV?) alloys with factory TPMS sensors of unknown age.

Advice of tire shop was to try to register the sensors before purchasing new ones. They won’t charge me much to swap them out if necessary. My issue at the moment is that I can’t get back into learn mode to test the sensors now.

#13 ·
It sounds like you are trying to relearn them using the "different tire pressures" method and driving. It will never complete if there is one or more sensor that has a dead battery...and that would trigger a code, causing the TPMS light to go solid. If you did the TPMS code readout, you'll likely see strored codes.I would recommend getting a TPMS trigger tool, which you can find under $20. Having the trigger tool still won't allow you to register all of the sensors if one or more has a dead battery, but it will cause the exterior lights to flash when registered in ID register mode IF the sensor is good. This will help you determine which sensor(s) are good.

#17 ·
While we’re on this subject, no need for me to start a new post. Smj.. after you answer Matt’s question I have one.

I put my 16” wheels from my truck on my wife’s pathfinder which has had the TPMS light on for a while.. blinks when started for a minute or two then goes solid. I know the sensors are good because they were working properly on truck. I have not checked to see if air is good on all four “should have checked” I know but I assumed it was and thought I just needed to drive it a bit. That didn’t help, do I need to have them set it? Or me try to do it?

#18 ·
The TPMS sensors are registered to your truck's TPMS control unit. You need to do the ID registration in order to register your truck's TPMS sensors (now installed on your wife's vehicle) to the TPMS control unit in your wife's Pathfinder.
It would be like if you wanted to use a remote key fob from your truck on your wife's Pathfinder; the part would be the same, but the remote would still have to be programmed to her Pathfinder.

#21 ·
Each TPMS sensor emits a different signal so the TPMS control unit (which is part of the Body Control module or "BCM") can distinguish which sensor is which. If they all sent the same identical signal, the TPMS control unit would know which tire is the front left, or right rear, etc. So, when a sensor is replaced, for example, the control unit is not automatically going to recognize it; the ID registration process must be performed so that the control unit can "see" it.
So, moving your trucks wheels and TPMS sensors to your wife's Pathfinder is no different than installing four, new TPMS sensors. A TPMS ID registration process must be performed so that your wife's Pathfinder can "see" these four "new" (at least to this vehicle) TPMS sensors.

A dealer, tire shop and many independent auto repair shops can do this service for you. Or, you can do it yourself. The TPMS diagnostic sensor is a white, 2-pin connector that runs on the same harness as the OBD II diagnostic port under the driver's side of the dash. It has 1-wire to it and my be wrapped to the main harness with blue electrical tape. While a TPMS trigger tool, like mentioned in a previous post on this thread, make the job easier, it is not necessary. All that's needed is a bent-up paper clip and a tire pressure gauge. I discussed this procedure on another thread and there are YouTube vids on how to do it, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.