Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start this new thread since my cams are finished. For those who didn't see I just finished installing a set of Brian Crower Stage 2 cams yesterday.
First the sorta bad, but not really. I am getting codes now. Got the code for random misfire quite often, it actually comes and goes. That code was basically expected and I cleared several times myself but I'll have Uprev fix it for good. I also had at one time a intake timing contol code come on. I only had it once, cleared it with cipher, and so far it hasn't came back. Not sure about that one.
Now the good. Oil looks clean. Water looks clean. No leaks from anything.
Drove about 100 miles today and my truck runs great!!!!!!!! It pulls much harder now in the 2500-5000 range, especially under 1/4-1/2 throttle. The topend is great too, but I think my tune is really holding it back along with the WOT at mid range. But overall pretuned, my truck is noticeably stronger. Cant wait to get it tuned.
The side benefit to these cams, as johnny mentioned, they sound great too. I have a very noticeable lope at idle now. The idle sounds deeper now too. Plus from the 3000-5000rpm range the intake sound is awesome. I cant keep my foot off the gas pedal :). It still doesn't sound like a Z, but I personally think it sounds just as good, at least with the newly modified intake sound.
Now here are a few clips i made today. Now remember my trucked still needs tuned, which I hope will happen next weekend.
This is a short clip of my trucks lope at idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_92oY8dDVqU
This is a longer clip of my trucks lope at idle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40fvGh1L1qQ
Here is a drive by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVxQWeLHRhM
Here is another drive by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1xLEm0xCbk
And lastly here is a in car clip showing the cool sound. Note that i was just playing from 3000-5000rpms, not totally wring it out on this clip and trying to get it at reasonable speeds. Don't need any tickets. It also had 500+lbs(passenger and driver) of fat men inside the truck :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEtYQFra1Yw

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
DA*M! Your mid-top end sound AMAZING. I can tell it reallllly opened up your power band to a more useful area for your setup. I think I'm just going to stop by after my Odessa trip to hear this thing. The videos do NOT do it justice!

Throaty. Very throaty. You'll be seeing shiner soon. Maybe for an install as well

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
you have a 500 pound friend??? Did you make him ride in the bed for traction??
when we going to the track?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
you have a 500 pound friend??? Did you make him ride in the bed for traction??
when we going to the track?
No Bill, on the in car clip I meant that between me and the passenger who was filming we total about 525lbs together.

I just want to get tuned first, then I will heading to the track. Hopefully the tune will happen next weekend.

DA*M! Your mid-top end sound AMAZING. I can tell it reallllly opened up your power band to a more useful area for your setup. I think I'm just going to stop by after my Odessa trip to hear this thing. The videos do NOT do it justice!

Throaty. Very throaty. You'll be seeing shiner soon. Maybe for an install as well
Your welcome to come by. I'll let you take it for a drive.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Hahaha I remember driving that thing when we both went in for R&D w/ Uprev. That was a pretty fun night! hahahahaha.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Can't wait to see the numbers! Effing awesome man. Nice job.

... and I said I was done modding my truck... hmm I may have to get some of those!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As long as I get to the 280whp & 300ftlb range I'll be OK with it. There is a chance I'll be a little higher, but that will be just gravy on top if it is. We'll see as soon as Uprev will throw my truck on their dyno.

Can't wait to see the numbers! Effing awesome man. Nice job.

... and I said I was done modding my truck... hmm I may have to get some of those!
Cams are a PITA, but they are pretty awesome too.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Nice work! the truck sounds sweet. Any thought into getting the new doug thorley long tubes when they come out?...it'd be cool to see the first N/A fronty break the 300hp mark.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice work! the truck sounds sweet. Any thought into getting the new doug thorley long tubes when they come out?...it'd be cool to see the first N/A fronty break the 300hp mark.
Truthfully, I doubt I will go for the long tubes anytime soon. They appear to be nice headers, but I personally still don't think they will give any significant gains over what I already have. At least not for my truck anf the way I drive it. Maybe they do, but I'll just wait & see what gains somebody else makes with them before I spend that much to replace my already very nice exhaust system. The 300hp would be very nice. In theory I could possibly get there with Brian Crower claiming 30-35hp gains with my setup, but I I know must manufactures over exaggerate their hp claims so I'm not expecting it. Soon we'll find out though.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would these cams be a waste on just a Super Chips-equipped rig?
Can't wait for your numbers!
I don't think would be a waste on a handheld tuner, however there is issues going that direction. First big issue is the random misfire code. I know Brutal, I, and I think johnny have all gotten that code and it's considered normal for the overlap you get with cams. We all have or are getting Uprev so its a none issue for us. You would need to get rid of that code. The other thing is you won't get as much gains as a custom tuner gets. If my truck is a decent example I still got noticeable gains without my retune, but Johhny said his appears to have lost a little overall with his base hypertech tune. So sounds like a crap shoot. For certain a custom tune like Uprev is the best answer since they can readjust the viarable timing to match your new cams, plus I'm assuming the A/F ratio's will need to by played with again.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh man rdr! I was still saving money to get my exhaust put together! You just added another thousand dollars to my wishlist! My gf thinks peoplle like you are bad influences! ;D Anyways, cant wait to see some numbers! Must be in 13s by now! Sounds f*****g AWESOME!

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
sound fcukin sweet!!! would love to tackle this project but to be honest i am WAYYY to lazy to do that amount of work. especailly the cleaning of the rtv. i mihgt do the Headers and exhaust in the future since that seems more of an easier DIY project.

·
Registered
256 Posts
SOUNDS WICKED!!!!!!! But like Shiner said, "VIDEO DOES NOT DO THE SOUND ANY JUSTICE"
It is Nice to be as loud as a mach 1 when u romp on it lol especially in our little frontiers :)

Overall im more than impressed with how these cams react to our trucks.....

As for anyone who has a handheld tuner and is thinking about/planning on getting the cams, My truck "UNFORTUNATELY" is in limp mode because of the cams......since my tuner cant erase the misfire code, I cant enable my WOT which is a big pain cause All my power is thrown at me when I hit 40mph. So Uprev is definitely the way to go!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Looks like a worth while mod! Congrats on the power, waiting on new times.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I'm loving it. First Uprev and then the track. Soon.

SOUNDS WICKED!!!!!!! But like Shiner said, "VIDEO DOES NOT DO THE SOUND ANY JUSTICE"
It is Nice to be as loud as a mach 1 when u romp on it lol especially in our little frontiers :)

Overall im more than impressed with how these cams react to our trucks.....

As for anyone who has a handheld tuner and is thinking about/planning on getting the cams, My truck "UNFORTUNATELY" is in limp mode because of the cams......since my tuner cant erase the misfire code, I cant enable my WOT which is a big pain cause All my power is thrown at me when I hit 40mph. So Uprev is definitely the way to go!
Johnny, you know IF I can get to Uprev next weekend, you could probably use my tune as a good base tune for your local shop. Other than an automatic and a few slight changes, your setup fairly similar to me.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Hey Rodney, when're you hittin Uprev? I might have to be there for this one...again.

·
Registered
872 Posts
That sounds just ridiculous rodney...I don't think I've ever heard a V6 lope like that at idle, and when you get on it it just screams! Sure doesn't sound like any Frontier I've EVER heard. Definetly waiting on the retune + dyno results for this one.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.