Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about buying a camping trailer. The thing is is that the one I fell in love with is 28' 7" long. It has a dry weight of 4646 lbs. which would leave 1500 lbs for water and gear. I have had my suspension beefed up quite a bid so I'm not afraid of that. So the question of the day is: is it too long to pull behind a CC long bed with the 6-speed. My gut tells me no because I have pulled over 5000 lbs up mountains with NO problems but it was a 19 footer. Wind would suck arss

What do you guys think?:comphead:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i'd stay away... add water and gear and you're close to if not over the trucks limit. What did you do to beef up your suspension? i have the hellwig 500 helper springs. like you, i'm in the market for a small trailer 17-18 footer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a spring shop build new leaf packs. They said they added 1000 lbs of load which would = 2600 I think. I would have to look at what the truck started with. I know it doesn't sound like it, but my ride is better. No overload = no sudden stops. One smooth motion. I had two cow elk in the back and it dropped the bed an inch. Well worth it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Man, that just seems right on the limit. Does the trailer have electric brakes? Any estimates of what your gear would add up to? I know that you could always add water once you get to your destination to help limit travel weight, but that sure seems like it could potentially be a strain. DO you have an aftermarket tranny cooler?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
also, u say the trailer is 28'7", is that including the tongue? if it isn't you're over 30' total length. I'd be scared to tow something that big. I tow a 23' fully loaded toyhauler with a 2500 chevy duramax. It's 5500 lbs empty, 800 lb tongue weight, holds 30 gallons gas, 107 gallons h20. fully loaded, with quads, easily tops 10,000 lbs... total length is 27'. the duramax is rated at 12,000 lbs hitch pull. the toy box feels really heavy that close to the trucks max tow rating. Just like the frontier, but a smaller scale I would stay away with something that close to the limit. Add the six speed, imagine being stopped on an incline and trying to accelerate... BTW, what is the tongue of the trailer you're interested in?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
tongue weight and trailer brakes are going to determine if you can do it. however, i still think your are at about the upper scale of what a midsize can handle. tow ratings also take your truck's weight into consideration, not just suspension, power, and braking ability.

·
Registered
337 Posts
There are a few campers on the market now that are designed for midsize suvs and pickups. They have a lower hight and a narrower profile. If you search the web you will find them....

Check out Cruiserrv.com and others...much for reasonably sized campers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I concur with TLBones. You are going to want to stick with a "lite" trailer. There are many out there in the 25-26 foot range that weigh in around 47-4800 lbs. Steer clear of anything with a slider as these add considerable weight. And it goes with out saying that you will need a brake controller as most travel trailers these days have electric brakes. You might also consider a small 5th wheel. They are easy to tow and when properly set up, you will hardly know they are there.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Towing 6000# with 4400# rig is possible but I would not want to do it on regular basis, your at the limit and probably dangerous in high winds and emergency stops and stressful to drive. I would do more shopping, should be able to find something you like in 3000# dry weight range.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Another nod for a brake controller here, based on all the reading Iv'e been doing about towing. Also, a weight distributing & sway control hitch (like the Equal-i-zer) is probably a must when you are getting into this weight range. I'll be towing a 3500lb 20' trailer this summer, but hope to buy something around the 4000lb & 22-25' range in the next couple of years. We've been looking mostly at rear slide units; they seem to mostly fit the bill though a couple of them have pretty high tongue weights.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I would stay away from it. It is better to have to much truck then just enough when it come to pulling

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
the weight and your 285s aren't going to help tranny temps either with out gears

·
Registered
11 Posts
Electric brakes a must, weight distributing a must, the length is legal but long if your not used to it. But might be close to the limit

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
another vote for walking away ..
I have been towing trailers since '92 and I would only pull an under 20 ft. ultra-lite or hybrid with this truck ...

just my .02

d-mo

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was looking at doing the same thing. Were going to get Travel trailer that's 28' long around the same weight. Might be the same one? Were set on the Coleman 270..

If you check your Nissan owners manual it's a no.. The frontal area of the trailer is too much. Plus the trailer is just to long for the truck's wheel base.

Were still going to get the trailer.. Just need to sell my Frontier and get a F150 first..

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMO, it seems like it would be at the limit for manueverablility, especailly in smaller campgrounds and forest roads. Are you considering a weight-distributing hitch? It seems like that would be safer for you, the truck, & the trailer. I saw this one on Courtesy Parts.
Nissan Weight Distributing Ball Mount - Class IV towing :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Make sure and let us know what you do. I might want to upgrade our pop up trailer.
That's a GREAT PRICE...

That looks just like mine, made by Hidden Hitch. BTW, they are not unique to the truck or brand of truck -- but they do come in different weight ratings. Mine is 8,000 lb, which was their smallest at the time I bought it. I paid close to $300 (delivered) for mine in 2004...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys! The tongue weight is 604lbs. Weight distributing hitch is a must. I don’t think I'm going to buy it but I plan on getting a Suburban in a year or two so that would take over the pulling duties when that happens. You guys confirmed what I was already thinking…just a little too big. Thanks for all your input

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would recommend a different truck for a trailer that size. My Wolf Pup 16bhs is just under 4000lbs loaded. I have electric brakes and a weight distribution hitch. I wouldn’t want to tow anything bigger and for sure not heavier. The frontal area (of trailer) is a lot for this truck and it’s wind resistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts