Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First... I have looked around, but I don't see a clear answer on my cam bolt question...

What direction should the cam bolts be installed? I bought the rough country bolts, and it appeared as though they could only be installed on direction for the lobes to work. My set only has lobes welded to the bolt side, no lobe on the nut side.

On the front I installed front to back with the lobe on the front side, and the nut towards the back of the truck.

On the rear bolts, I did the opposite with the lobe on the back side, and the nut towards the front of the truck. Basically all nuts are in the center, and lobes are on the outsides of the LCA's.

Is this correct?

Secondly, I took it to an alignment shop today to check on it. I have read quite a bit here about alignment specs, but I wanted to get your take on my numbers. I assume that The Camber may be as good as it gets since I lined the lobes up as specified, but is the toe in too much? The instructions call for some additional toe in, but it is listed in inches not degree.

Front Left Camber: 1.2 (in spec)
Front Left Caster 2.6 (in spec)
Front Left Toe: 0.28 (Factory spec is 0.11-0.19)

Front Right Camber: 1.5 (Factory spec is 0.3-1.3)
Front Right Caster: 3.1 (in spec)
Front Right Toe: 0.28 (Factory spec is 0.11-0.19)

Front Cross Toe: 0.55 (Factory spec is 0.23-0.38)

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Toe is adjusted by the steering link, it should be turned in a turn or two while doing the alignment, if you want less toe in.

Right?

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
You really should have cam bolts that have eccentric washer (lobes) on both sides. I see the RC ones do not. If you don't have the 2 washers then the pivot bolt (cam bolt) can shift to the side.
This are the ones you have

Below are 3 examples of pivots. The left is the pro comp one with more alignment than stock. The center is the factory nissan on with the tick marks. The right is the non cam of the 06+.

I do not think it really matters which direction your bolts are pointing. I think I have my two bolts pointing inwards to each other. The question is how are your cam bolts adjusted. did you center them on install or did you follow Brutal DYI alignment guide. From you numbers I would think that you just centered them; essentially no adjustment with the cam bolts.

So you took it to an alignment shop to have the numbers checked, but they did not actually do any adjustments. Is this a shop that offers free alignment inspections. Talk to the shop asked them if they will do a three angle adjustment with the cam bolts. some will enter your truck model/year into the computer and tell you "it says there are no adjustments for camber and caster, sorry we will only adjust the toe". Even though you added the cam bolts they will tell you it is their policy not to touch any aftermarket parts, blah blah blah.

Here is what I would do for adjusting the cam bolts. Your caster numbers look pretty good but you camber is terrible. Use the cam bolts and push the lower control arms out as far as they will go. That means all four bolts as far to the outside as possible in the slot. The center mark on the fattest part of the lobe will point towards the center of the truck. This should get your camber closer to 0 or slightly in the negative (good). Brutal's guide says now to bring the front cam bolts all the inboard. This will pull the wheel forward and max out the caster. But since your caster numbers are good (don't think that driving the camber more negative like we did in the first step will change the caster or not) I don't think I would do this step. I would give the left side a couple of ticks, not past center of the slot, to give it a little more caster so that it matches the right side. Eye ball the toe, then take it to the shop to get some numbers. Or have them align the toe.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yeah, you need to grab a set of camber bolts that have lobes on both ends so that it doesnt shift on you (at least that seems like a reasonable possibility). I have a simple set from Amazon by Moog and - again - while simple, they work perfectly and I have had no issues with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I ended up just telling them to align it to specs right now. I am not super happy with it, as it feels a bit off to me. I may take it back and ask for a bit more toe in to stabilize it. Caster and Camber are at least good, and it looks right to the eye.

I have decided, that I want/need new UCA's. I am surprised in how much coil bucket contact there is and how much it limited down travel. Even simple things make it hit the UCA's. I installed bumpstops, so at least it is not making a metal to metal sound... but I don't like it none the less.

So when I take it apart to install new UCA's... I will go ahead and do new bolts then also.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/how-alignment-w-o-special-tools-28535/

^ Take a look at that.

Front cam bolts pointed out toward tire, rear cam bolts pointed in to the oil pan.

Buddy and I aligned my truck with a tape measure in the driveway 4 years ago when I put the Titan Swap on and other than minor tweaks to the UCA heims I've never touched it.

Tracks down the highway at 80 straight as an arrow.

Reactions: Michael Dickenson
1 - 6 of 6 Posts