Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone heard good or bads? or know anyone who is running them? just wondering how they are up to the PRGs... Im thinking about slapping a calmini list on my credit card and want to do coilovers to get better flex and street ride.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
its basicly race runner (calmini) or radflo (prg).

the difference is that greg is going to valve the shocks specifically to your application. i would say that both are good shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
dude also prg is moving to auburn so you could just go pick em up and if you ever have any questions or need them rebuilt the guy is right up the road from you only prob is i dont know when hes moving

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh prg is going to auburn! thats like 35 min from my house... i was wondering because calmini is offering the 5inch lift with the coil overs for 2000 bucks... seems like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
572 Posts
idk man i think its going to be up to you.they look like the same shock and seem like they have the same functions..try give calmini a call and then give greg a call youll probably end up with gregs products just by the way he knowledges you? haha did i make any sence there? sorry kinda sick right now cant think straight

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
even if you get calmini if anything goes wrong greg from prg is probably good at workin on all coilovers im sure he would help you out for the right price

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome everyone thanks for the help... yea what do you all think 2k for the 5inch calmini and calmini coil overs? I was thinking fabtech because i used to have one on my 03chevy 2500hd but the calmini lift for the frontier looks like its built better and the front crossmember protects the front diff pluss i like the full under skid plate... i mean yea you lose a inch but i can always throw a inch in the rear with shackle/block or Deaver AAL and the front idk haha

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
thats a deal if its shipped that price. gregs ones are 799 with it being valved to your specification. so thats a deal, i bought my kit for 1300 shipped plus i spend 1400 on uca's and coilovers.. thats a good deal.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I would go with SAW coilovers over the Radflo coilovers.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
awesome everyone thanks for the help... yea what do you all think 2k for the 5inch calmini and calmini coil overs? I was thinking fabtech because i used to have one on my 03chevy 2500hd but the calmini lift for the frontier looks like its built better and the front crossmember protects the front diff pluss i like the full under skid plate... i mean yea you lose a inch but i can always throw a inch in the rear with shackle/block or Deaver AAL and the front idk haha
i would stay away from the 5" calmini kit for 2nd gens. you can achieve more with the prg kit and a 1" body lift for less money.

depends on if you want that "big tall truck" look or a slightly more agressive, yet more capable look.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
i would stay away from the 5" calmini kit for 2nd gens. you can achieve more with the prg kit and a 1" body lift for less money.

depends on if you want that "big tall truck" look or a slightly more agressive, yet more capable look.
What do you mean PRG kit? The spacer lift?
How is a 1" body lift going to help?
What do you mean "achieve more"?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i apologize, i was vague. i meant "achieve more" as in, achieve more performance through capability. the prg 4wd advanced coilover package does 3" of lift and 2.5 in the rear. the 1" bl would help with rubbing should he want to stuff larger tires in there.

of course i don't own a 2nd gen, but i have wheeled with a truck with the calmini 5" and i was not impressed at all. i felt that the drop bracket allowed for a higher ride height, but solely from lowering the vehicle's stock configuration. stock ground clearance is not improoved much unless larger tires are used.
the prg kit makes the lower control arms "reach" down to achieve the lift, which improoves ground clearance between the lower control arms.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
i apologize, i was vague. i meant "achieve more" as in, achieve more performance through capability. the prg 4wd advanced coilover package does 3" of lift and 2.5 in the rear. the 1" bl would help with rubbing should he want to stuff larger tires in there.

of course i don't own a 2nd gen, but i have wheeled with a truck with the calmini 5" and i was not impressed at all. i felt that the drop bracket allowed for a higher ride height, but solely from lowering the vehicle's stock configuration. stock ground clearance is not improoved much unless larger tires are used.
the prg kit makes the lower control arms "reach" down to achieve the lift, which improoves ground clearance between the lower control arms.

You are comparing a replacement coilover set up to a straight up drop bracket left. The OP plans to add coilovers to the calmini lift so your comparison is not fare.
With After-market coilovers and after-market control arm add to a Calmini 5" lift you can archive the same amount of travel plus fit 35's.
Also with a drop bracket lift the break over angle is increased. I body lift wont improve that and a 1" body lift will do nothing for a Gen2.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
you are correct, i'm comparing costs and capabilities overall. in my opinion, its the best route. of course, others may decide differently.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i like your thinking tho roastbeef... i could do 3inch spacer or coils and uca and 1 or 2 inch body lift and get 5 inch of lift... but... ive never really had a body lift but Im kinda going for more performance... I think the coils will give me more what i need to go hunting and 4wheeling... and with the 5 inch i can always do a 1 or 2 inch body if i want to go that way... do they make a 1 inch body for gen2? I think i would only be running 285s with the 5inch lift 35s would be nice but i would miss the power and dont want to re-gear...

·
Registered
223 Posts
if you already have the calmini kit if you add after market uca and coilovers can you get more lift out of it? I run 295's and would like to add a 2" wheel spacer, but cant right now do to too much rubbing.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
wait wait wait, im surprised no ones mentioned this yet

are the coilovers that come with the kit meant for that kit... like are they extended length? OR are they stock length and still use that redic huge spacer?

if there stock length go talk to greg cuz he has extended length coilovers that get rid of that nasty spacer

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think they're meant to replace the spacers since they mention in the site a 4.5-5" adjustable height lift.

D40 Coilovers

Nevertheless, a phonecall over to calmini will resolve any questions, but i'd recommend PRG's lift.

A local 4x4 shop (I live in Greece) has told me that there are issues with calmini's products and their customer support is very slow. In fact he told me that it would be better for me to purchase my lift from PRG on my own instead of him selling me the calmini because in case of any problem he couldn't guarantee me proper support in terms of spare parts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea yea they are 4.5 to 5 inch coilovers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts