Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with 2nd gen A/T trans, have any of you extended the trans/transfer case breather hoses to a higher location? Looking at it tucked behind the top of the bellhousing I'm concerned that they aren't high enough... and water ingress would be a very bad day... I really don't need SMOD due to a deep water crossing...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
The transmission breather is next to the airbox?

Edit-No, that's the front diff. I haven't ever heard of that being a problem, now I am thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are in water deep enough to be above the line of the bellhousing, you are going to be having other water intrusion issues.
the mounting point for the trans breather hoses are below the engine intake level. I'm also considering an intake snorkel kit. a buddy of mine last year ran the ENH Overland Challenge and had water up to his fenders. No water into the cab. manual gearbox. extended diff breathers. while the Jeepers were swimming and draining the muddy water from their tubs, he was clean & dry.

I'm trying to find out if anyone with an auto has run deep and if they either relocated or really didn't have any troubles. I know some tactics like keeping a bow wave will help in keeping water out, but that assumes a shorter crossing, water doesn't go TOO deep, and you keep your speed up.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I read it somewhere that the a/t trans and transfer case breathers sit behind the engine so it's high enough.
depends on who is claiming they're 'high enough'. They are mounted on the bellhousing, behind the engine, below the line of the lower intake manifold (& valve covers). They are not easy to get to.

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
depends on who is claiming they're 'high enough'. They are mounted on the bellhousing, behind the engine, below the line of the lower intake manifold (& valve covers). They are not easy to get to.
Thanks for the pictures. I'll have to check mine out and see if I can extend them this sunday?

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe @crewmaxxis got some water in his trans after crossing this puddle several times. I tagged him in this post so he can confirm whether I'm remembering that correctly.

THATS what I'm talking about!!! You can see the bow wave AND that the water's not all That deep.... thanks Jen, hope crewmassis comments/remembers. Id hate to have to do a full flush every time I play in the muddy water, but would hate even more to have to replace my trans do to an issue I could have simply fixed.

Thanks for the pictures. I'll have to check mine out and see if I can extend them this sunday?
Its tight up there. If you're looking from below, on the PASS/Rt side looking up, you can see and follow the breather from the trans up to the top of the bellhousing. The end MAY be accessible if the Upper intake manifold is removed (if you are installing an IMS in the near future). Otherwise I was considering running new lines all the way to the airbox or something. maybe make a manifold out of PVC, then run a line from it to a secure fresh air source... hmmm

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Negative
It was in the transfer case where I noticed the oil was milky in appearance and it was well above the fill line
Meaning that it was overfilled

Couldn't confirmed where the extra fluid or water got into the case, the breather hose and tube on top of the case seem to be intact

That unknown issue and a constant rear seal failure where factors in the decision for the Atlas case swap

I used new breather hoses and breather filters for the atlas and the transmission, they sit on top of the engine bay

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Negative
It was in the transfer case where I noticed the oil was milky in appearance and it was well above the fill line
Meaning that it was overfilled

Couldn't confirmed where the extra fluid or water got into the case, the breather hose and tube on top of the case seem to be intact

That unknown issue and a constant rear seal failure where factors in the decision for the Atlas case swap

I used new breather hoses and breather filters for the atlas and the transmission, they sit on top of the engine bay

Hope this helps
thankyou. :surprise: Atlas case?! is it chronicled in your build thread? Initially when I was buying the truck I was thinking about an Atlas doubler or at least one with deeper Low gears, maybe even a twin stick to get 2wd Lo... >:D

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I don't think is in my build thread

Rear low with a selectable locker is about the best thing out there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts