Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, wheres the best place to get replacement calipers?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I get almost all of my parts from Rock Auto, haven't been disappointed yet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
One thing is a stuck caliper pin, when that happens it puts more friction on the top or bottom of the pad opposite of the stuck pin. Had this on my truck, bottom pin was rusted tight, so the top of the pad had almost no pad left, and the bottom hadn't wore much at all. Put new caliper brackets and pins from RockAuto for about $30.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing is a stuck caliper pin, when that happens it puts more friction on the top or bottom of the pad opposite of the stuck pin. Had this on my truck, bottom pin was rusted tight, so the top of the pad had almost no pad left, and the bottom hadn't wore much at all. Put new caliper brackets and pins from RockAuto for about $30.
that would make sense cause i had to replace my driver side pads recently one pad was worn down to the point it messed up the back side of the rotor and the front was almost the same but not much, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
337 Posts
You might be able to free the stuck pin and clean up the caliper bracket, new pins are a couple of bucks. Just make sure that both the top and bottom slide freely. Oh an added bonus, if you did have a stuck pin, get ready for better gas mileage. When the caliper does no slide freely, it tends to stay in contact, with the rotor, casing friction all of the time and is the source of your brake dust. It really is a cheap and easy fix. Good Luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might be able to free the stuck pin and clean up the caliper bracket, new pins are a couple of bucks. Just make sure that both the top and bottom slide freely. Oh an added bonus, if you did have a stuck pin, get ready for better gas mileage. When the caliper does no slide freely, it tends to stay in contact, with the rotor, casing friction all of the time and is the source of your brake dust. It really is a cheap and easy fix. Good Luck.
i am thinking of replacing the caliper, bracket etc with new parts and probably some of the brake lines aswell just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check out RockAuto, they have a complete front brake kit, 2- rotors, 2- calipers, 2- caliper brackets, pins and pads for $170, $135 if you send the calipers back. I replaced all of my brake lines, metal and rubber, I had a rear brake line that rusted out on me and failed. Replaced all of them, but the others really were not bad, only the rear.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
The brake pad composition can also cause excessive dust. It's best to spend a little more a get a good quality pad, like Raybestos Professional Series or Akebono. I've used the new Wagner OEx pads on a couple of vehicles (one R51 Pathy and one Chevy Silverado); they are priced well and don't create a lot of dust and perform well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The brake pad composition can also cause excessive dust. It's best to spend a little more a get a good quality pad, like Raybestos Professional Series or Akebono. I've used the new Wagner OEx pads on a couple of vehicles (one R51 Pathy and one Chevy Silverado); they are priced well and don't create a lot of dust and perform well.
the first set of pads i had were from r1 concepts but i cannot remember the brand and the newest pair is duralast

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I recently installed Wagner ThermoQuiet OEX pads on my Yukon. Wagner ThermoQuiet has been my pad of choice for my other vehicles for several years now. I bought through RockAuto.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I get almost all of my parts from Rock Auto, haven't been disappointed yet.
Me too, but now I get calipers from O'Reilly's, they give a lifetime warranty no questions asked and it saves the hassle of taking off a stuck caliper to warranty and then waiting to send it in for the replacement

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Me too, but now I get calipers from O'Reilly's, they give a lifetime warranty no questions asked and it saves the hassle of taking off a stuck caliper to warranty and then waiting to send it in for the replacement

That's not a bad idea, I just looked and the price for the calipers is not that much higher, considering the convenience. Usually the Auto Parts Store is close to double what RA charges, w/coupon codes. I'll admit I was surprised.

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's not a bad idea, I just looked and the price for the calipers is not that much higher, considering the convenience. Usually the Auto Parts Store is close to double what RA charges, w/coupon codes. I'll admit I was surprised.
They give that lifetime warranty on their house brand for a lot of stuff that are nearly considered wear items like starters and alternators, calipers, fuel pumps... and they warranty them on the spot. so it's totally worth paying more than RA in my opinion for stuff like that.

Definitely a bad place to buy gaskets and electrical connectors, wire, heat shrink, etc though.

They sell about 2ft of 3/8 split wire loom for what you can get a 100ft roll on eBay for, it's crazy.

10 pack of electrical connectors? Spend a few more dollars and you can get a whole kit with all types... 480 piece!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You could always support a forum sponsor and go with R1 Concepts. I recently replaced all 4 rotors and pads with one of their kits and have been very satisfied. You can PM them for a quote.

·
Registered
337 Posts
They give that lifetime warranty on their house brand for a lot of stuff that are nearly considered wear items like starters and alternators, calipers, fuel pumps... and they warranty them on the spot. so it's totally worth paying more than RA in my opinion for stuff like that.

Definitely a bad place to buy gaskets and electrical connectors, wire, heat shrink, etc though.

They sell about 2ft of 3/8 split wire loom for what you can get a 100ft roll on eBay for, it's crazy.

10 pack of electrical connectors? Spend a few more dollars and you can get a whole kit with all types... 480 piece!

I agree with to point. I just for fun looked up an alternator, OR $180 + Tax, RA $115 no tax and free shipping. I get it, you can just go back "IF" there is a problem, maybe I've been lucky, but I have yet to have an issue, and the savings adds up. I absolutely agree about the small stuff. I got 12 rolls of electrical tape, free shipping for what I could get 1 roll at OR.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts

What I do for Rockauto warranty parts is order a new part and install it, then, send back the old part and they'll credit the cost of the part for warranty. They'll let you do it either way. For smaller parts that aren't worth the cost of shipping, they offer to split the cost of the part and refund it to you; this works for incorrectly ordered parts, as well. For example, if I ordered a $3 seal and find out it's the wrong one and it costs that much to mail it back to them, they'll let me keep the wrong seal and refund me $3.50.
On some common parts, like brake calipers, that the local Advance Auto Parts stocks, I'll price compare with Rockauto. If the part is over $50, discount code TRT30 take 30% off if I purchase the part online and pick up at the store. It all matters if I need the part "today" or not, but it always pays to price and compare. Ebay is the other place I check.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts