Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run 1 24' led light bar and 4 led spotlights right now with just a relay, havent had any issues. I'm finding that I'm outrunning the LED spots more often than I'd like though, and I'm thinking about doing an HID retrofit into 4 hella lights, and mounting them on the roof for some more range.

Caveat to this is I'd potentially be running 5x 55w HID's off a stock battery and alternator. Anyone know how to calculate draw on this, and whether our alternator can handle it?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I run 1 24' led light bar and 4 led spotlights right now with just a relay, havent had any issues. I'm finding that I'm outrunning the LED spots more often than I'd like though, and I'm thinking about doing an HID retrofit into 4 hella lights, and mounting them on the roof for some more range.

Caveat to this is I'd potentially be running 5x 55w HID's off a stock battery and alternator. Anyone know how to calculate draw on this, and whether our alternator can handle it?
What you really need to look at is the actual amp draw. When it comes to ballasted lamps output ratings may not match the amp draw. Four 55 watt incandescent lights would be drawing nearest to 16 amps at 14 volts and the standard automotive relay is not going to handle that for very long.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard these kits run about 13 amps cold and ~ 5 amps apeice hot. I'd be running 5. The math is way above me though.

What's the reccomended fix for increasing capacity, and is it needed to prevent an electrical failure, or do the lights just get less power and produce less light?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've heard these kits run about 13 amps cold and ~ 5 amps apeice hot. I'd be running 5. The math is way above me though.

What's the reccomended fix for increasing capacity, and is it needed to prevent an electrical failure, or do the lights just get less power and produce less light?
Just run the lights in pairs from separate relays. You can use the same switch if you want to, that's up to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts