Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 with a V6 and along with a new y-pipe and muffler, I'm interested in fixing some breathing issues on the other side of the dinosaur explosions. I've never run a snorkel on a vehicle and most of my modding experience (in this regard) has been on sports cars. I'm not building this truck for max power and shes mostly city/highway with just a touch of Houston flooding (hence the snorkel interest) but she will also see a fair amount of beach use so if I can reduce dust intake, I'd like to. I'm just not sure if it's worth the damage to my resale to cut up my fender for a snorkel.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The stock intake is essentially already a CAI. It flows quite well, I believe they even use it to feed the 5.6 V8 in the Titan. The best improvement for it would be upgrading to a better filter. Many like the AEM dryflow (doesn't require oiling, easily washable)

The snorkel would help some, and would help keep sand out of your intake should you bury the truck or be behind someone throwing some rooster tails.

But upgrading the filter, and checking it after every couple of beach trips would probably serve you well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not always what you might want to hear, but Skinny06 id correct on all counts. Most "CAI's" do the opposite of the stock box. No matter the temperature outside, from teens to 90's, with the stock box my intake temp hovers consistently around +10F of ambient.

Plus, if you do a number of mods, like CAI, exhaust, IMF... You really should go to a speed shop for a Dyno tune so the engine knows what to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not always what you might want to hear, but Skinny06 id correct on all counts. Most "CAI's" do the opposite of the stock box. No matter the temperature outside, from teens to 90's, with the stock box my intake temp hovers consistently around +10F of ambient.

Plus, if you do a number of mods, like CAI, exhaust, IMF... You really should go to a speed shop for a Dyno tune so the engine knows what to do.
I was just reading through a thread talking about helping the ECM? relearn when you change flow rates. Some said just unhook it for a bit, others recommended the pedal/key dance and others said just take it go a shop. I'm not trying to screw with my warranty so I'm not sure what route to go.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I was just reading through a thread talking about helping the ECM? relearn when you change flow rates. Some said just unhook it for a bit, others recommended the pedal/key dance and others said just take it go a shop. I'm not trying to screw with my warranty so I'm not sure what route to go.
When you replace the mass air flow sensor or make changes to the air intake, you need to do an idle air volume relearn. It can be done with a capable scan tool or manually, without a scan tool, which can be a bit of a pain to do, sometimes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you replace the mass air flow sensor or make changes to the air intake, you need to do an idle air volume relearn. It can be done with a capable scan tool or manually, without a scan tool, which can be a bit of a pain to do, sometimes.
I'm assuming that's the "pedal dance"?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts