Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 SC , 5-speed
Recently acquired this truck...found the filters were available at multiple sites...ordered a set..reviewed the installation videos...simple enough...
Removed the glove box and found, much to my chagrin, no filters in their appointed location, but a "fixed" plastic, rectangular slot that if cut out, might be the correct size to receive the filters. Has anyone else run in to this and tried to remove the cover and install the filters ? Any idea why Nissan may have omitted the filters but left the covered slot where newer models may have them ? Thanks...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I found the same thing on mine, and was curious about it as well. Hopefully someone will reply with some answers.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Some have it and some don't, but if you don't have one you can put one in - just clean the evaporator core first because of all that time it has spent without one

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for the info. I probably wont bother putting one in if it isnt supposed to be there, but I was just hoping it wasnt overlooked when this vehicle was originally assembled.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
My old '00 KC XE did not have the slots. It was easy enough to cut following a YouTube vid.

Twice per year the filters were covered with leaves and pollen so presume they did work as intended. Still baffles me folks would pay $90-$100 at the stealership to swap the filters out when it literally takes a few minutes to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I added the cabin filters to my 2014 SV. Before the filters were in dust would sometimes blow out the vents and there was always accumulated dust on the dash near the filters. The filters have helped.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think it depended on which options you have on your truck. If you bought an expensive version they gave you a cabin air filter, if not you have to buy your own. Nissan seems to have some weird ways to save a few dollars. I would put them in (there are two to a package that fit side by side) because they help keep the cooling coils clean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Mine is a Super Charged Desert Runner which seems to have come with all the bells and whistles in it's day, so not sure about the particular model as a determining factor in including or not including the cabin air filter. Doesn't make sense to me that such a low cost item would be excluded in an attempt to keep overall costs down...but who knows ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me that such a low cost item would be excluded in an attempt to keep overall costs down...but who knows ? Thanks
When they're willing to put safety at risk to save a few pennies per unit, I have no doubt that everything is up for grabs when it comes to $$$.

There have been a bunch of threads about what years/models came with or without the opening and which model or trim level came with an opening filled with filters. For example, my '04 XE had the opening, but just had a cover plate versus being filled with the filters from the factory. I have used them since about 15k miles, when I first looked in there to change the OEs. Mine get dusty and pick up the occasional bug or leaf, but have never been too nasty (no off-road or even dirt roads for my 4x1 though). Still, IMHO, they're worth the cheap protection to an expensive and difficult to replace part and I get the added benefit, maybe, of cleaner air.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Do not mix the gen1 and the gen2 when describing if you have cabin air filters or not. From what I gather gen2 all have the slot/door for the cabin filter. Some come with filters some do not. Easy to stick a couple of filters in there.

Gen1s are a mixed bag. Some have filters installed. Some have a slot with no filter. Earlier years have a plastic slot that can be cut and filters added.

I recently changed out my filters. I added some with activated charcoal in it. Was going to ride my motorcycle to work today, but it is super smoky due to wild fires. SO I took the truck. Put the air on recuirc and enjoyed a smoke free drive to work.

My brother lives in LA and has asthma. I told him to get some HEPA filters. He says that while sitting in traffic now he breathes the cleanest air in LA.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have only had my truck a short time. If I notice dust becoming excessive, I will add the filters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have had the truck for a couple of years now. Went to replace the cabin air filters the other day as I have been doing a fair amount of driving on dirt logging roads; lots of dust, especially if someone is in front of you. I removed the plastic cover and found that there were no filters, so I installed a pair. It's probably a first for this vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts