Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to replace my cabin air filter last night and there is no latched cover over the opening for removal/insertion of the filters. I did find a small piece of broken plastic where apparently, someone removed it and broke it. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement? Original part number would also be awesome.

Thanks!

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I went to replace my cabin air filter last night and there is no latched cover over the opening for removal/insertion of the filters. I did find a small piece of broken plastic where apparently, someone removed it and broke it. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement? Original part number would also be awesome.

Thanks!

Scott
there is space/location on mine for a small bolt/nut combo... That plastic tab is super flimsy. Bolt/nut it and never worry about it again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is space/location on mine for a small bolt/nut combo... That plastic tab is super flimsy. Bolt/nut it and never worry about it again
I noticed that and searched the forums for it, found some good info on it, so I plan to do that. Crazy how flimsy those things are.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I noticed that and searched the forums for it, found some good info on it, so I plan to do that. Crazy how flimsy those things are.
someone has a cousin trying to sell plastic doors for the hvac filter access....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just placed a cabin filter on my 2014 and broke the tab on the cover. My cover is currently held on by duct tape.

• Sad
Reactions: Hamilgs

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm not glad you guys have broken cover tabs, but I am glad you've posted about
them here.

I was very careful checking my filter yesterday, can see how I could easily broken
it if I hadn't been forewarned. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
The clip is part of the case. The original design was supposed to have a clip and a bolt (some aftermarket cabin filters come with instructions that show it). I guess Nissan decided to save 5 cents and not install the bolt and clip and just use the plastic tap to keep the door shut. That's all fine until the tab breaks and there is nothing to keep the door attached to the case. The fix is easy, though. All you need is a 6Mx1 body fastener (sometime called fender nuts) and a bolt, which you can pick up at most hardware or auto part stores. Slide the fender nut onto the case and run the bolt through the round hole in the filter cover.

Attachments

Reactions: Hamilgs

·
Registered
34 Posts
I fixed mine yesterday. Used a U Spring Nut 1/4-20, a 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt with a lock washer. It cost $1.06, should have been less but I also bought a 3/4' bolt just in case. Got the parts at ACE Hardware. I will say that 1/4-20 is bigger than necessary.

Reactions: luap

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Yeh the tab is on the case side not the door side. So a new door will not help. I used a bolt/nut last time but what a PITA is ti trying to hold the backside nut while loosening it. The last time I used a zip tie, and will simply cut and replace when it is time for a new filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The clip is part of the case. The original design was supposed to have a clip and a bolt (some aftermarket cabin filters come with instructions that show it). I guess Nissan decided to save 5 cents and not install the bolt and clip and just use the plastic tap to keep the door shut. That's all fine until the tab breaks and there is nothing to keep the door attached to the case. The fix is easy, though. All you need is a 6Mx1 body fastener (sometime called fender nuts) and a bolt, which you can pick up at most hardware or auto part stores. Slide the fender nut onto the case and run the bolt through the round hole in the filter cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just picked up a 2015 Xterra Pro-4x (Manual) with only 53k on it and, while going through it, found that the cabin air filter cover was missing and the tab was broken off. I suspect that the seller, who claimed to have changed the oil and installed new engine and cabin filters, just broke the tab and didn't know what to do. To keep the cover from just dangling and potentially rattling, he must've just trashed the cover and moved on. Had he been more upfront and admitted the issue, he'd have saved me the cost and trouble of ordering a new cover at least. 😕

1 - 17 of 17 Posts