Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

What are the pre-load torque specs for the pinion on a 2011 Frontier C200K Differential?

This information seems to be a State Secret. Have spent hours on the web to no avail. Joined this site, very cool indeed, and was hoping to find this info here but have also turned up empty handed.

Rebuild due to water in oil. Who would have guessed a 4x4 pickup would not be factory fitted with a rear axle breathing system that could handle even a little bit of water.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Chris
Stoughton, Cheeseland (aka Wisconsin)

·
Registered
427 Posts
This sounds like a repost. It seems like Nissan doesn't rebuild rears anymore but just replaces the entire thing. (Maybe I'm wrong about that but it seems that way) This is what I wrote on my post on Oct 1, 2016. Perhaps you missed it.

I checked my manual and there were no specs for the pinion preload but... I googled "what is the preload of the Nissan C200K pinion" and got some specs for the 200 axle which was in the 13-25 inch Lb range and backlash was in the .005 to .007 range which sounds about right for most rears. I usually adjust my pinion preload by feel. As Long as it feels stiff and doesn't stick when you turn it, it should be ok. If it sticks, it's too tight. Be sure to run a pattern on you gears to check for proper setup.

In addition, larger rears (12 bolt Gm, 9 inch ford etc.) have slightly larger backlash settings but the preloads are similar on most rears. So, I think that the C200 specs should be fairly close. If you just want to be sure, he can probably give Steven Lutz at rugged rocks a call and he can probably give you more exact specs. If you do call him, Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bobus8,
Thank you very much for the info and recommendation. I think you are very close to the mark with your advice. I will give it a try.
Regards,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts