Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the post by cd85233 buying a used truck in Chandler, AZ. I want to make the younger members aware of some of the stunts auto salesmen/dealerships will pull on you. There is a good article at Edmonds.com written by a journalist who went 'undercover' as a salesman to learn firsthand about their shenanigans. Here's the link to the article: Confessions of a Car Salesman

Some other good articles at Edmonds.com are here: Car Tips and Advice - Edmunds.com

Hope somebody finds this beneficial.

·
Registered
427 Posts
it's funny because after reading that, I went to buy my first car and I actually got some of those lines they use such as "my family can't eat if I don't sell a car today". I just laughed.

The one thing I've found is that I've ALWAYS gotten to a deal faster and with less haggle by dealing with the dealership via email. The internet manager usually is his own man, meaning he'll be able to cut you a deal that makes his margins and sends you out the door happy. I've even had a good deal of experiences working my trade in numbers via email with photos attached. Save yourself the time and trouble, work through the internet. The guys on the front end are vultures. Of course, being a female doesn't help my situation.. they assume I don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just read the post by cd85233 buying a used truck in Chandler, AZ. I want to make the younger members aware of some of the stunts auto salesmen/dealerships will pull on you. There is a good article at Edmonds.com written by a journalist who went 'undercover' as a salesman to learn firsthand about their shenanigans. Here's the link to the article: Confessions of a Car Salesman

Some other good articles at Edmonds.com are here: Car Tips and Advice - Edmunds.com

Hope somebody finds this beneficial.
:rrg: however, the link to "Confessions of a car salesman" moved here.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
the internet sales guy is typically a better person to deal with. they deal in volume and not profit margin. their price will start a few thousand lower than a salesmen.

i worked as a salesman for a nissan dealer. best advice, go in armed with everything you need to know and try to throw the salesman off his game. never give too much info about what you want to pay, never fully commit to any particular thing. always talk about your other option whether its another brand or dealer. and once you sit down to negotiate, time becomes money. he wont walk away because he almost has a sale. however, the longer he sits with you, the more sales he can miss. take as much of his time as you need. send him to the sales manager as many times as it takes until his number is close to yours. leave if you have to.

if you feel like being young is going to put you at a disadvantage, either deal with the internet guy since he wont know your age until most of the way through the buying process, or case the dealership and pick your own salesman. dont just talk to the first snake that walks up. look at the sales board and pick either the top guy (who gets sales quick for a reason) or the bottom guy (who needs a sale bad). just tell them "i have an appointment with "Salesman A". they wont argue with you unless they have a current commitment.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I find the best way to start is to just go in and tell them you are looking at buying about a month from then. Just say you want to take a test drive to narrow done the car you want. Name a few other cars you are "looking" at. The salesman will be less likely to try to pressure you since you made it clear you are not buying today. However, they will want you to come back when your ready. After the test drive ask for a price for comparison. This will let you feel free to leave at anytime. Also you can now get a good starting point for negotiations. Often they will give you a written qoute and tell you they will beat anyone else's deal. Now you are free to come back with leverage to get a fair price and you aviod the high pressure sales tactics.

·
Registered
475 Posts
the internet sales guy is typically a better person to deal with. they deal in volume and not profit margin. their price will start a few thousand lower than a salesmen.

i worked as a salesman for a nissan dealer. best advice, go in armed with everything you need to know and try to throw the salesman off his game. never give too much info about what you want to pay, never fully commit to any particular thing. always talk about your other option whether its another brand or dealer. and once you sit down to negotiate, time becomes money. he wont walk away because he almost has a sale. however, the longer he sits with you, the more sales he can miss. take as much of his time as you need. send him to the sales manager as many times as it takes until his number is close to yours. leave if you have to.

if you feel like being young is going to put you at a disadvantage, either deal with the internet guy since he wont know your age until most of the way through the buying process, or case the dealership and pick your own salesman. dont just talk to the first snake that walks up. look at the sales board and pick either the top guy (who gets sales quick for a reason) or the bottom guy (who needs a sale bad). just tell them "i have an appointment with "Salesman A". they wont argue with you unless they have a current commitment.
I second this! The last two vehicles I've bought I worked with the Internet Sales people and couldn't be happier! All the haggling and paperwork was done over email and the phone. I went in to test drive the truck and signed the papers. I was in and out of the dealership in less than 1 hour with my Frontier.

I'll never walk into a dealership cold again to buy a vehicle!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts