Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. After selling my weekend vehicle Jeep Wrangler, which was horrible, I am planning on purchasing a Nissan Frontier.

I want it for now as a weekend ride or second vehicle, therefore I am not looking to spend lots of money.

I've seen some dealerships selling 2005 and 2006 with mileage of about 160k for approximately $7000. Do you think that's a good deal? Most Frontiers I find go for over $10,000

My main concern of getting 05 or 06 model is the famous radiator/transmission issue, but from what I gathered it's a fairly easy to do a mod to make sure transmission won't go bad. So with that been said, do you think it's a good idea to get 05 or 06? or should I try the hardest to get newer model? Any other issues with getting 05 or 06?

Thanks so much for your help

·
Registered
58 Posts
$7K for one that age/mileage seems very high, but we're talking retail prices and probably rust free? No luck finding a private sale?

For me living in the rust belt, it would be rare to find a 2005 in good condition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here in Florida I would assume it would be rust free (of course I'll check under the truck to be sure).

The 2001 Wrangler I had, I bought from auction in PA, so it definitely had rust. I've seen some Jeeps here that were made in 2001 and they had no rust at all. So far the cheapest Frontiers I've seen here is 2005 $6800 with mileage of 181000

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
$7K for one that age/mileage seems very high, but we're talking retail prices and probably rust free? No luck finding a private sale?
Yep - If it's a trade-in vehicle, the dealer probably gave the original owner less than HALF of that amount.

The dealer's mark-up on used vehicles is ridiculous - and on an older, high-mileage vehicle, you're not getting any help from the dealer if something breaks after you buy it, either.

Suggestion: (1.) Stick to private party sales, and (2.) pay a good mechanic to go over any vehicle you're serious about buying. Even after you've paid your mechanic, you'll still be saving thousands of bucks over what you'd be paying for the same vehicle at a dealer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Having driven my last 3 vehicles well past the 200k mark, I had no qualms about jumping in them and driving anywhere...

But unless there were detailed service records, the chance of getting me to spend more then 3k on any vehicle north of 150k on the clock is SLIM without those pesky service records.

Unless your very mechanically inclined, I'd wait for a friend or friend of a friend deal....Or pass on any vehicle without good record keeping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks for the input. I tend to think I am mechanically inclined, I replaced generators, starters, radiators, ball joints etc and did many electrical mods to cars.

What sort of sucks is that I am looking for a weekend or 2nd vehicle, not as a primary vehicle, therefore I don't really want to spend more than $7000 on it. I thought of getting older model, but they're not super cheap too, probably going for $3000 and up. To me it just seems more reasonable to get a newer model with 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual to save on fuel a bit and to get it to work better on highway roads.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'd look for one with a manual transmission or proof that the radiator and auto-trans had already been replaced for those years.
Would also be nice to see proof that the timing chain and tensioners had already been replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts