Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I will be buying one of these in the next month or so. Wanted to get some of your opinions, or if someone has one. Not too heavy, with plenty of room for us and the kiddo. Hoping to get some good use out of it for a long time

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
im slowly traveling down this road as well. the woman and i may scoop one up that needs rebuilt soon.

i will say with a frontier and that thing loaded down with all your gear and people, it will not tow that all that easy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GVWR is 3500, and should tow it just fine in my opinion. We won't be driving cross country pulling this thing, so that also plays a part. Most of the time we'll be within a 2 hour drive of where we're going with mostly flat interstate.

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
yea you will scoot past 3500 pretty quick with people/gear/supplies/ect. it adds up a lot fast than you think.
if you say you have it, i trust you.

i do think popups are the way to go though. you arent using the space while you are driving. close that B up. less wind at least. easier to see and drive as well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Oh that looks great! What brand is that? I don't know what kind of camping you do but a solar panel or two on the roof go a long way if you don't have power available plus you don't have carry a generator and gas around with you.

I'm not sure why a frontier would have trouble with a 4500lbs trailer. That still keeps you well within your weight ratings for the truck. I've towed close to that and never felt like the truck was struggling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a starcraft launch mini series. 16RB model. Solar panels will be installed for when we camp on the farm if we don't feel like going anywhere.

Dry weight is 2575lbs. We'll never pull it with any of the tanks full of liquid. At MOST, we'll have 500lbs of gear so we'll be well within the 3500lb GVWR of the trailer.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Those are nice and what we're looking for to upgrade from our pop up . We found a very light weight built by R Vision. 30' with tongue, 26.6' body. Dry weight 4410. Pulls very nicely. I also use a weight distributing hitch. Towing mirrors have also been added.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are nice and what we're looking for to upgrade from our pop up . We found a very light weight built by R Vision. 30' with tongue, 26.6' body. Dry weight 4410. Pulls very nicely. I also use a weight distributing hitch. Towing mirrors have also been added.
Nice. I don't think my balls are big enough to pull something quite that big! Haha

·
Registered
548 Posts
It's a starcraft launch mini series. 16RB model. Solar panels will be installed for when we camp on the farm if we don't feel like going anywhere.

Dry weight is 2575lbs. We'll never pull it with any of the tanks full of liquid. At MOST, we'll have 500lbs of gear so we'll be well within the 3500lb GVWR of the trailer.

Thanks for that. You'll defiantly get lots of enjoyment out of that set-up.

That's the kind of trailer I've been looking at.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for that. You'll defiantly get lots of enjoyment out of that set-up.

That's the kind of trailer I've been looking at.
They're a tad pricey, but i think it's worth it. Lightweight, all the necessary features I'd need, and plenty of room thanks to the pop out beds. We didn't want to use the dinette as a bed

·
Registered
338 Posts
I was looking into campers myself. Not remotely close to pulling the trigger. But this thread is what I have seen over and over. Some people saying "no way you can pull it", then few others saying "I pull this 26 footer with my frontier" LOL. I have no clue as to what I could pull.

I found one the wife and I both liked. The Lance 1685 seems to be great. It has a slide out, dual axle, not overly large or heavy. Numbers seem to fall within what the Frontier can do. Obviously I would get a brake controller, tow mirrors and something for the frontier rear before I purchased a camper as well. I do not know anything about towing but I'm learning and want to know more before I ever attempt it.

Even though I am nervous that the Lance 1685 might be too much for the Frontier I found this couple that tows theirs around everywhere with a 4 runner that is rated at only 5klbs for towing. I would think if the 4 runner could do it the Frontier could also.

Towing A Travel Trailer With a 6 Cyl Toyota 4 Runner? - Trailer Traveler

Good luck with the camper shopping! Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
^Its really all down to what each person feels comfortable with that creates this variation.

Everyone has a different idea of what is taxing the truck too much and what is safe. Location also plays a role in this (mountains and such).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Are you pulling this with a 4cyl or V6? Because if its the latter, youll be fine. This is what i tow, about the same weight, no problem. I would get some mirrors though. 1aauto

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you pulling this with a 4cyl or V6? Because if its the latter, youll be fine. This is what i tow, about the same weight, no problem. I would get some mirrors though. 1aauto
Do you use a WD hitch? Anything upgraded on the rear-end, like HD springs?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have towed a lot of trailers with my Frontier, you will have no problem pulling that trailer. Proper loading of gear in the trailer is important. Don't put too much weight behind the axle and reduce your tongue weight, that can lead to more sway. The only time I ever had an issue towing was when I brought home a used 18' travel trailer that had car tires on it. The weak side walls in the tires and the very light tongue weight made for white knuckle driving the entire way home.

IMHO you will not need a weight distribution hitch but I like the friction anti-sway for piece of mind.

Happy trails, and remember, home is where you park it.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Very nice!

Congrats!

If the canvas gets wet, be sure to open it up to dry out before you shut it for the season. Mold and mildew are b*tches.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You'll be fine with that camper. I tow a 3700 lb boat/trailer combo nearly every weekend and I use cruise control at 70mph on the highway. It's not a rocket ship, but it'll cruise right along in OD no prob.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts