Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do not buy Duralast slave or master cylinder. I replaced them both a month or 2 ago. They are already shot

Been having to pump the clutch recently, then Tuesday the slave cylinder left me stranded.:serious:

There is black gunk in the bottom of the masters reservoir. as well as wet fluid on the bottom of the master cylinder. My guess is that the o-rings couldn't with stand the fluid.

I will be returning both this weekend, then stopping by O'Reilly on the way back.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Do not buy Duralast slave or master cylinder. I replaced them both a month or 2 ago. They are already shot

Been having to pump the clutch recently, then Tuesday the slave cylinder left me stranded.:serious:

There is black gunk in the bottom of the masters reservoir. as well as wet fluid on the bottom of the master cylinder. My guess is that the o-rings couldn't with stand the fluid.

I will be returning both this weekend, then stopping by O'Reilly on the way back.
A friend is on his third slave cylinder- the first was a Duralast and the second was one I purchased for my truck off Amazon - made by Dorman. After the Dorman was installed on his 2002 Frontier April 7, 2020, he went and swapped the Duralast for a new unit, since it had a lifetime warranty. That unit was given to me in case mine failed. Last Saturday, the Dorman left him stranded in a bad part of town and the truck had to be repaired on the spot. The Dorman part basically sprung a leak and all the brake fluid leaked out. So the replacement Duralast was installed at 1 in the morning, filled with new brake fluid and bled using the method in the service manual. The brake fluid remaining in the old part was black as night, and this fluid was fresh 3 months ago. These Chinese aftermarket components have absolutely no quality control whatsoever, and I'm more inclined to overspend and get a genuine Nissan replacement for the master or slave. Has anybody found any aftermarket components that hold up for years, rather than months? The Nissan slave is over $100 and money is tight.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I opted to install new rubber bits in my stock slave on my Miata. This reasoning was that the bore was good and the factory part may have a plating or finish that would be removed by a rebuilder.

Tt

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Get Exedy, OEM, through RockAuto

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've a got a Duralast Master Brake Cylinder i put on last year. No Issues

Reactions: keno70815

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I've a got a Duralast Master Brake Cylinder i put on last year. No Issues
I have an Autozone rebuilt master cylinder on my 1971 VW, over 25 years now, and it's lifetime warranty. I also have some Duralast wheel cylinders on my 1970 VW.

This is not modern technology by any means, I really doubt that Duralast with lifetime warranty could be that bad, as Autozone would lose a fortune exchanging those.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I did my 100k tune up last year, I flushed out my brakes and slave cylinder. The slave cylinder brake fluid was almost red with rust. It looked so bad I'm thinking of doing it again and buying a new one to keep with me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an Autozone rebuilt master cylinder on my 1971 VW, over 25 years now, and it's lifetime warranty. I also have some Duralast wheel cylinders on my 1970 VW.

This is not modern technology by any means, I really doubt that Duralast with lifetime warranty could be that bad, as Autozone would lose a fortune exchanging those.
I've also had great luck with Duralast components, and the rare failure was exchanged at the store without any problems and without any excuses. I'm convinced that either the source was changed to another supplier, or there was a bad "batch" of the raw rubber that was either low quality or was not fortified properly with the additives which protect the rubber material from the effects of constant exposure to brake fluid. And since this problem is an issue with a Dorman unit that failed us, it may be specific to a factory that manufactures these components by the million.The black color of the brake fluid on failed units is a dead giveaway. Seems that Autozone will certainly lose with this "batch", of clutch hydraulic items. They've also had issues with the failure of lifetime alternators, with repeated failures two and three times, judging by the comments left by customers and mechanic friends. I've also read that this company carefully monitors quality control, and will quickly stop using a supplier if found to be the source of unacceptable numbers of defective units, and will screen and use another supplier that can provide the level of quality that a lifetime part must deliver.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I’ve never had any good luck with autozone stuff. Had fan belts shred in a few months, tools break, alternators go bad or not work from the start, etc. I only buy stuff from Advance Auto or NAPA.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
About 2012, starter on 2005 Yukon died in small town; battery tested fine, tapped on starter, it worked, time for new starter. O'Reilly and Autozone are only auto stores in town, O'Reilly had remanufactured and Autozone had brand new, so bought Autozone, each lifetime warranty. In 2019, had intermittent starter on it, readily swapped for new by Autozone.

Back to Frontiers: my 1998 Frontier has been fine with O'Reilly alternator, water pump, fan clutch, radiator. And I replaced its clutch master and clutch slave with O'Reilly ones last year just because the pedal would feel funny sometimes (240K miles).

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Get Exedy, OEM, through RockAuto
Well said Cusser. My neighbor is reworking an old Honda and had seen two new master clutch cylinders fail that were sourced at local auto parts stores. He did some research, switched to Exedy and has had no troubles since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts