Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i keep getting letters from my nissan dealer saying they want to buy my truck back. Aparently i own a very "wanted" model. the most recent letter offered 120% of KBB value plus extra incentives if i buy a new one from them. Has anyone else been getting letters like this?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
LOL 08 nismos must be special

·
Registered
219 Posts
have not seen that but im 2wd

·
Registered
5 Posts
It depends on how much your truck means to you. If you post on here, I would assume quite a bit. I would try to find out what is so "wanted" about it.

Is it for an employee?

Is the dealer's son turning 16 and "it's the truck he's always wanted"? :p

If I had your truck, I'd keep it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
ive been getting them for a long time. from my hardbody, my xterra, and my frontier. its just a form of advertising.

they want you to buy a new truck. they would be absolutely fine with you buying a new one every other month. saying yours is desired is a stretch of the truth. sure the dealer likes to have used cars on the lot that are only a year or two old. but dont read too much into it. they just want you to come into the building so they can try and sell you a new one.

the way it works is they give you 120% of blue book value, but then they dont budge on the sticker, msrp, or invoice price. dont let the terms fool you. any number they are willing to show you, is on purpose. they arent losing money, or selling below invoice no matter what they tell you. they are selling above cost and making enough money to pay 3 peoples commission.

i encourage everyone to spend a summer working as a car salesman. you learn a lot about how things actually work.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
We get them all the time asking for our 2007 SE Frontier. We just laugh because there is no way they would take that truck back after the extensive mods we have done to it, and I wouldn't give it up for anything to begin with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive been getting them for a long time. from my hardbody, my xterra, and my frontier. its just a form of advertising.

they want you to buy a new truck. they would be absolutely fine with you buying a new one every other month. saying yours is desired is a stretch of the truth. sure the dealer likes to have used cars on the lot that are only a year or two old. but dont read too much into it. they just want you to come into the building so they can try and sell you a new one.

the way it works is they give you 120% of blue book value, but then they dont budge on the sticker, msrp, or invoice price. dont let the terms fool you. any number they are willing to show you, is on purpose. they arent losing money, or selling below invoice no matter what they tell you. they are selling above cost and making enough money to pay 3 peoples commission.

i encourage everyone to spend a summer working as a car salesman. you learn a lot about how things actually work.
It's kind of a scam. Not illegal but it's a trick.
Very interesting. I had no idea about these. I guess I never had a dealer trying to "buy" my car.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I love these buyback things. I just got a letter in the mail from a dealership telling me that I WON AN AMAZING PRIZE. All I have to do is call up and blahblahblah....tempted just to do it because I will probably only end up wasting 5 minutes and getting a decent laugh out of it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
that is about how long car sales men last. Once they have run out of friends to "hook up" they are stuck doing walk in sales and unless they are good they are looking for a new job.
it takes a certain type of person to do it. im a car nut, i love talking to people about cars, i can show you a car and relate all the important things that you need to know. i can explain how things work and make you understand.

the problem is im a terrible actor. not much of a liar either. the whole ordeal is buying a car is a like a magic show. you come in, they amaze you, smoke and mirrors, you go home happy and a few weeks later you figure out the trick and feel cheated. i got tired of the constant pressure and long hours. pay was pretty good. but i had a hard time selling a lady an altima for 22k when i sold the same car the day before for 18,5.

only a few of the guys i worked with are still selling. they have changed dealers a few times. but yeah, i see the ads for salesmen all the time. its just a revolving door.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I dont plan to sell it. I love this thing to much and because of that even at 120% they wont give me what i'd want to part with it....plus after all the work i went through to get the stereo in i'm not taking it back out. next time i'm in for its service i'm gona find the guy whos name is on this letter and tell him hes wasting paper. Besides i'm waiting to see what the 2014 titan has to offer. Last time i was in for an oil change i was waiting in the showroom checkin out a sweet 370 and one of the salesmen started in on his sales pitch and didnt even let up when i told him i was just waiting for mine in service.....i'm just going to have to hang out in the service area next time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
there is nothing illegal about it. even according to your link.
i do relize its just a dealers gimik....i should go up and see what they would give me for mine and what they would do on a new one though. i'll report my findings if i get some spare time to visit them

·
Registered
704 Posts
.....i'm just going to have to hang out in the service area next time

yep as soon as you step outside the service area zone they attack,like throwing meat in the shark pool,happend to me at sullivan bros in kingston,
figured i would go look around the lot(mistake)i was attacked soon after.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts