Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 2001 Frontier XE regular cab, stock single din radio/cd player and stock speakers in the doors. I was listening to speed metal (Dragonforce). Now the speakers are busted, they still work, but they also make other noises. So I have a couple of questions.

What output is the stock radio/cd player rated for?
What are stock speakers rated for?

Since I want to add usb and/or auxillary input to the head unit, I will probably replace head unit and the busted speakers together. Anyone has suggestion of the set consisting of head unit and two speakers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know any info about the factory stereo or factory speakers because when I bought my truck the head unit had already been replaced as well as the speakers.
My truck is an 02 Desert Runner XE I put in a Pioneer fh-x70bt head unit in and replaced the speakers with a pair of Rockford Fosgate R1525X2's, the Head Unit i have is double din but Pioneer makes single din options as well,
The sound quality is awesome!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I've replaced the broken-cone or bad speakers in my '98 and 2004 Frontiers, and in my daughter's 1998 Pathfinder.

Several things come to mind.
1. Be careful removing the trim around the door release handle, you don't want to break that. That's the toughest thing about gaining access.

2. Nissan uses proprietary speakers in these, and proprietary wire connecting terminals. crutchfield.com may have adapters for both so you can use generic replacement speakers. On the three Nissans listed, I used local-purchased generic speakers and engineered my own mounts or drilled holes/used sheet metal screws to mount them, and soldered in/heat shrunk the wire ends supplied with the new speakers. Of course, the speakers do need to be shallow enough so the window doesn't hit their rear when rolling down the windows.

3. When I installed new stereos in these, I used Nissan install kit purchased at local AutoZone. And I solder wires there when necessary instead of using crimps.

Here's what I wrote a few years ago:
98 Frontier:
Carefully remove the plastic retainer plug at the top front of the panel (near the mirror) with a small screwdriver. Carefully pop the rear arm rest piece by pulling up on its rear edge, then release its front clip.
Remove the small vertical Phillips screw in the front armrest, press in its clip, and pull up and out.
Unscrew the two horizontal hex-head/Phillips screws underneath. Press in on the panel and use an L-shaped hook tool (that’s what I used) or window crank removal tool (available at most auto part stores) to remove the horseshoe-shaped clamp that holds on the manual window handle, then pull off the handle. Carefully pull off the trim piece around the door release handle. Lift up and out on the front part of the door pull and disconnect power window/door switch. Starting at the bottom of the door panel, carefully pull straight out releasing the clips from the door with either a screwdriver or panel release tool (easier); in any case, be gentle, be patient, you don’t want to break anything. There are about 11 of these panel retainers on the front, rear, and bottom of the door panel; work your way up the panel and then lift straight up while lightly pulling the bottom of the panel outward toward you.

My speakers were 6.5 inch diameter (that's how they are measured, even though the speaker cone itself is about 5 inches), with the four mounting screw holes a hair over 4.25 inches apart. These speakers were Frontier originals (state Nissan, 4 ohm and 15 watt); they fit in a Nissan mount which itself bolts to the metal door. The depth of my speakers were 2.5 inches.

How do I know all this? I took mine apart today; the original speakers were essentially fully separated from the rim, the cause of the poor sound. Not too surprising, Arizona heat dries these things out, and nine years old. I’ll be replacing with same-size speakers to make the job easier. I only broke on panel clip, but Ace Hardware or friendly local auto parts retailer should have a pack, they look pretty universal.

Update: I used 6.5 inch speakers from Checker/Schuck/Kragen (Dual #SBX654) as they fit the Nissan spacer mounts (after I snipped off the little plastic nub), about $21. The individual replacement 6.5 inch speakers there (about $13 each) were too small to fit into the Nissan spacer mounts, and the Roadstar brand 6.5 inch speakers were too big to fit into the Nissan spacer mounts. I didn't bother to look elsewhere. I soldered the push-on connector wires supplied to the Nissan door wires (the door wires with the stripe are the negative for the speakers). By the way, I even called Nissan and speakers through them were $65 each, and special order. Regarding extra door door clips, I found that Dorman Body-Tite #45464 worked fine, even though they state GM & Chrysler.

2004 Frontier King Cab speaker replacement
I used 6.5 inch speakers (Dual #DS652, 2 inch depth), drilled holes to install (Frontier speaker is proprietary). Solder new connections, Nissan are proprietary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both.
Soldering the wires together and shrink tubing them is not a problem. I do it all the time at work.

Regarding a slightly odd sizes. I bet the dimensions are metric and that is why American inches are either slightly shorter or slightly longer than what is needed.

I did speaker replacement in my Nissan Altima, back when I had one, so I am somewhat familiar with Nissan door panel removal.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I don't think the speaker size is a metric thing, I think it's the plan that people will go to dealership more often. I call that greed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to replace the ones in my 99 today. The person who had the truck before me had put in a Sony head unit but left blown factory speakers. I just picked up some cheap Sony XS-R1645 from wally world. The holes lined up perfect and the door panels covered them nicely. I just cut the factory ends off and spliced in the the pigtails that came with the speakers using crimp connectors. I know they will corrode and I will be doing it again soon. I should have soldered and heat shrink but I was out of heat shrink and I was too lazy to go back out and get some. The new speakers sounded a lot better than the blown factory ones but they still didn't sound right. I started playing with the stereo settings and found that the fade and balance didn't do anything. I pulled the head unit and found a wiring nightmare. Someone cut the factory end off, used scotch tape, and put all the speakers together. I didn't have enough splices to do it up the right way so I used electrical tape and done the best I could. Now the speakers sound pretty good, the fade and balance work, and I can hear it over the exhaust leak. I have attached a wiring diagram for the radio and speakers if anyone needs them.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts