Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Just bough a brand new Nissan Frontier Pro 4X 2016 (KC) and I want to do some modifications on it so I need some Help / Advice !
What I want : Durability, durability and more durability with good functionality. Wait time for parts are not an issue.

Mod list for now :
- Tonneau Cover
For now my choice is Truxedo Lo pro Qt for the lifetime warranty, decent price and good reviews.
- Rear Bumper + Hitch
I like either Shrockworks or Calmini but I am not sure if I can fit an hitch on it so I need so information on that.
- Front Bumper
Calmini Pre runner.. Good price, nice off road naked look but I am not sure if it's a good choice for a daily driver and I heard their powder coat quality is low.
- Rock Sliders
I like the look of Shrockworks Rock Sliders.. Very slick and you don't lose ground clearance.

I will drive this truck during winter so I Need something that doesn't rust.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Congrats on the new truck....What color is it ? Pics?

Tonneau cover...you should also consider "Access" , they also make the covers for grain trucks (super thick heavy duty).
Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | ACCESS Roll Up Tonneau Covers

I kind of lost you on the (wanting something that dosn't rust)....LOL.
I live in the rust belt and have Shrockworks bumpers front/rear and Shrockworks rock sliders , for me its all about preventative maintenance when I get a gouge in my rock sliders I simply touch it up with this rather expensive paint called "Chassis Saver"
Paint Over Rust to Stop Rust Permanently With Chassis Saver Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

Also Just recently Heftyfabworks started producing an aluminum front bumper, obviously lighter than a metal bumper and no rust?
Store - Hefty Fabworks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the new truck....What color is it ? Pics?

Tonneau cover...you should also consider "Access" , they also make the covers for grain trucks (super thick heavy duty).

I kind of lost you on the (wanting something that dosn't rust)....LOL.
I live in the rust belt and have Shrockworks bumpers front/rear and Shrockworks rock sliders , for me its all about preventative maintenance when I get a gouge in my rock sliders I simply touch it up with this rather expensive paint called "Chassis Saver"
Paint Over Rust to Stop Rust Permanently With Chassis Saver Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

Also Just recently Heftyfabworks started producing an aluminum front bumper, obviously lighter than a metal bumper and no rust?
Store - Hefty Fabworks
Thanks for info ! Yea I guess Preventative Maintenance is the key when it comes to rust, Here's a picture, Still fully stock.. for now. That heftyfab bumper does look very good but is out of my price range and I don't really need a front winch so this is why I think Calmini is an interesting option for me considering the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Wow your truck looks super nice.....so new, LOL
I like the color, It must be the Gun Metallic.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have a Tyger trifold soft tonneau cover. It works ok. I am not a big fan of the way it latches to the bed in the back though. It is sometimes a pain to fold up when the clamps do not want to stay folded. If you have the utilitrack system you might have to play with the way it closes to get it to work right, I did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I second the choice of Access covers. AutoAnything has decent prices on them...I love the Access Tonnopro I put on mine. Keeps the bed dry & secure.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
X3 vote for the Access. That's what my truck has and I love it, keeps everything safe and dry, doesn't take too much room and has just enough flexibility to work for objects that are 'just slightly' too tall to fit under, which for me has already happened much more than I thought I would have to worry about...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone i'll go with access, many good reviews also. Now what about bumpers, what is the best option for something durable with good fitment.. Shrockworks ?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Only problem with shrockworks is the time frame to get it. Anywhere from 3-8 months after ordering. Others can be long waits as well, but i believe that shrock takes the top spot.

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
Congrats on the truck and welcome to the forum.

I can build you a house in 8 months, waiting that long for a bumper is insane.
If they are that busy hire and train more people.

Clint

·
Registered
741 Posts
Congrats on the truck and welcome to the forum.

I can build you a house in 8 months, waiting that long for a bumper is insane.
If they are that busy hire and train more people.

Clint
Shrock front with custom light tabs ordered mid-May, shipped yesterday.

So, half the time. Got half a house?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Here is a link to a thread I put together a few years ago - Bumper Choices

Unfortunately, I totaled my truck before I got a bumper. While researching bumpers it became clear that manufacturing techniques, quality and customer service vary GREATLY between these companies.

Let me qualify my comments before I continue.... I worked as a Mechanical Design Engineer and Quality Control Technician for 3 decades in the Semi Conductor equipment industry.

The Pre Runner bumper from Calmini that you are considering is lightweight by design, with an aluminum skid plate and very little support structure. As a result it will not take a hit and survive w/o major damage and also is not suitable for use as a recovery point. There is a thread somewhere that shows someone attaching a strap to that bumper and destroying it with a single pull. The stock tow hook needs to be left in place for use in a recovery and hangs down below the bumper.

When it comes to quality of design and construction, it is very hard to beat Shrockworks. The design of their plate bumper includes a formed structure that is much stronger than individual plates welded together. The quality of their welds is superior to any other manufacturer. This will be my choice when I replace the stock bumper on my X.

When it comes to Rock Sliders, the Shrockworks are very stout and well made but lack one key feature IMHO, that is a bump out to deflect the vehicle away from obstacles. With the large fender flares built into our Nissan's, a bump out is needed to reduce the chances of body damage. White Knuckle Off Road makes a very good set of sliders that includes a bump out and an excellent overall design. Here is a link to their Frontier page - White Knuckle Off Road Frontier Sliders

WKOR makes quality sliders and has excellent customer service. They delivered my sliders in 5 weeks. Whichever manufacturer you choose, I suggest you pay more for DOM tubing and if it is an option (like Shrockworks) additional outer tube supports. The WKOR sliders come with very good support structure but Shrockworks sliders have the option of adding additional supports in instead of the single, centered support that is standard.

Good Luck with your modifications. Read the build threads of members who have built their rigs for abuse and you will gain the knowledge to do it right the first time and save money in the long run.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for replies, so it seems like wait time is the major problem with shrockworks but what about Quality/Fitment? Also I am wondering if it's a problem if I got the reverse sensors on my stock rear bumper, I think they are more annoying than useful so is it possible for me to remove them easily when I change the bumper ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a link to a thread I put together a few years ago - Bumper Choices

Unfortunately, I totaled my truck before I got a bumper. While researching bumpers it became clear that manufacturing techniques, quality and customer service vary GREATLY between these companies.

Let me qualify my comments before I continue.... I worked as a Mechanical Design Engineer and Quality Control Technician for 3 decades in the Semi Conductor equipment industry.

The Pre Runner bumper from Calmini that you are considering is lightweight by design, with an aluminum skid plate and very little support structure. As a result it will not take a hit and survive w/o major damage and also is not suitable for use as a recovery point. There is a thread somewhere that shows someone attaching a strap to that bumper and destroying it with a single pull. The stock tow hook needs to be left in place for use in a recovery and hangs down below the bumper.

When it comes to quality of design and construction, it is very hard to beat Shrockworks. The design of their plate bumper includes a formed structure that is much stronger than individual plates welded together. The quality of their welds is superior to any other manufacturer. This will be my choice when I replace the stock bumper on my X.

When it comes to Rock Sliders, the Shrockworks are very stout and well made but lack one key feature IMHO, that is a bump out to deflect the vehicle away from obstacles. With the large fender flares built into our Nissan's, a bump out is needed to reduce the chances of body damage. White Knuckle Off Road makes a very good set of sliders that includes a bump out and an excellent overall design. Here is a link to their Frontier page - White Knuckle Off Road Frontier Sliders

WKOR makes quality sliders and has excellent customer service. They delivered my sliders in 5 weeks. Whichever manufacturer you choose, I suggest you pay more for DOM tubing and if it is an option (like Shrockworks) additional outer tube supports. The WKOR sliders come with very good support structure but Shrockworks sliders have the option of adding additional supports in instead of the single, centered support that is standard.

Good Luck with your modifications. Read the build threads of members who have built their rigs for abuse and you will gain the knowledge to do it right the first time and save money in the long run.
Good info, That WKOR Rock Slider is the one I will buy ! So I am pretty sure my setup will be Shrockworks Front+Rear Bumper with WKOR Rock Sliders what I am wondering now is if I should take mounts for factory reverse sensors on the bumper or not.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's been a while since I looked but if I recall correctly, at least some of the rear bumpers from Shrockworks comes with an integrated hitch. So you wouldn't need to worry about finding a hitch that would fit with the Shrockworks bumper.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Here's where a tree tried to eat my passenger doors and succeeded only in fender damage thx to WKOR

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
Shrock front with custom light tabs ordered mid-May, shipped yesterday.

So, half the time. Got half a house?
You want left or right side? lol

Clint

Reactions: R00
1 - 17 of 17 Posts