Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been thinking about getting a programmer and really like the Bullydog. Just curious how everyone is running the power cord since it has to hooked into the fuse box. Are you even using the fusebox or did you make your own end to supply power a different way? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Hey guys, I have been thinking about getting a programmer and really like the Bullydog. Just curious how everyone is running the power cord since it has to hooked into the fuse box. Are you even using the fusebox or did you make your own end to supply power a different way? Thanks.
Really? The Bullydog needs a power supply other than the ODBII port?
Didn't know that, learn something new everyday I guess.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was thinking about getting a Bullydog Triple Gas GT.

The problem is, do you have an extended warranty?

If yes, I think it is a bad idea.

Your dealer can not see the plugged in programmer or your warranty is at risk of being void. It would be a pain to remove the Bullydog every dealer visit.

A Superchips or Hypertech programmer simply return to stock and unplug. Marketing aside, both do the same thing to increase performance via removing restriction designed to enhance safety and longevity of the powertrain.

Lastly, the Bullydog monitor features are really pointless. They doesn't show you anything that you really need to be worried about or can't see in your gauges.

Want better MPG via driving coach? It is pointless. You know how to get better mileage... drive like a granny. The monitor might as well just show a picture of a granny to remind you. Also, it is a truck with a really powerful engine and an exaggerated weight (to enhance towing ability)... don't expect world class gas mileage on a truck.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? The Bullydog needs a power supply other than the ODBII port?
Didn't know that, learn something new everyday I guess.
According to the installation manual, you have to tie the power into the fuse box. I do not like this idea at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its easy to do. You can purchase wiring connectors that will plug directly into the accessory fuse holder on the Frontier. It dosent exactly have to be the fuse box, any key on accessory wire can be used,( ie stereo pigtail splice,cig socket) or it can be set to power up thru the OBD port.
You dont have to leave the Bullydog hooked up once your tune programming is uploaded, it can be removed.
Also, for yur info the driving coach does help, not so much as driving like a granny, but in being smooth and with efficiency.
It really makes you aware of just how much fuel is wasted in slow traffic, at intersections, and the like.
Another thing as well, it will help you find the sweetspot of your engine where it is most efficient. I found that mine actually likes running a bit on high side of posted speeds, not what the treehumpers in the EPA recommend.
I was very skeptical about it at first, but now realize it was money well spent, especially with the coming fuel taxes.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was under the impression that it needed another power source other than the OBD port until I went back re-read the instructions. You can run off the OBD port. Guess I should of paid a closer attention when I was at work reading. LOL.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've got my bully dog hooked up to just the obd right now, but is there a way to get around having to manually turn it off via the switch on the obd (other than hooking up the power wire)?

·
Registered
104 Posts
bringing this thread back to life - i just installed my bullydog but i cant get it to run off of just obd power -

and i didnt have time to hook up the power cable, so i just used a micro usb car charger thing i had lying around to flash my ecu.

im curious if different years obd2 plug arent always hot or what not

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love my bullydog, you can either use obd as your power supply but you have to manually turn it on and off. I hooked mine into the yellow power wire from my radio that allows it to shut on and off when my truck is turned on. Couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The problem is, do you have an extended warranty?

If yes, I think it is a bad idea.

Your dealer can not see the plugged in programmer or your warranty is at risk of being void. It would be a pain to remove the Bullydog every dealer visit.

A Superchips or Hypertech programmer simply return to stock and unplug. Marketing aside, both do the same thing to increase performance via removing restriction designed to enhance safety and longevity of the powertrain.

Lastly, the Bullydog monitor features are really pointless. They doesn't show you anything that you really need to be worried about or can't see in your gauges.
Wow, old thread.

Apparently you have never seen or installed a bully dog programmer.
1. The bully dog can go back to stock
2. I doubt you can read, real time MPG, Intake air temp, injection pulse width, MAF volume Etc. on your gauges.
3. The bullydog would have to be the cause of the problem to void your warrenty. And if something does break see #1 above, remove the module from truck, drive/tow to dealership, enjoy your free fix.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The truck has to be on our aux position, there is a switch on the obd plug......flip it.

I agree wigh jayden, those extra features are great and you can return to stock with bd.

·
Registered
104 Posts
thanks - i didnt think to look on the plug... i was looking all over the tuner.

my install took less than 10 minutes and was super easy.... i hear it differs by vehicle, jeep wranglers take almost 45 minutes to flash.

there was only 4 options to set

- tune (i chose high octane)
- speed limiter (i set mine from the default 107 mph to 125mph)
- rev limiter
- WOT restriction ( i set allow WOT)

i think there were some other ones but i didnt change those... cant remember now

·
Registered
104 Posts
yeah i put in 91

I didnt mess with the timing because.. i figured I didnt need to? any significant gains with altering it?

I was hesitant to retard it 1point - I dont wanna effect the ecu's normal ability to alter timing based on the engines condition

·
Registered
730 Posts
I woulden't. If the 91 tune was worth anything, it would have already adjusted your timing.
On a side note: I used 91 tune and 2 degree advance at the same time. I started losing oil from crankcase (either blow-by/burning or via PCV). About a half quart between changes. De-tuned and it dosent use any oil anymore.

My experience, your results may vary.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Schweigert, so did you connect a power line or are you just running off the OBDII port? Does it turn on with the ignition or do you have to manually flip the switch when you want it on (if running off the obdii port alone).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts