Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm thinking about adding a bull bar of some sort to my truck. Anyone have any inputs as far as brand, type, and opinions as to what looks good or doesnt? I have a silver '09 SE 6cyl 4x4.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I have to put this out there. Are you going for looks or for some place to add extra lights? Also, if you actually go wheeling with your truck, a BullBar will limit your approach angles and front-end ground clearance.

·
Registered
269 Posts

It definitely puts a hurt in your clearance! Here is a pic of mine. I live in Florida...the land with no hills so I had no draw backs with the clearance and I only lost about 1 1/2 inches with it. But I like it

·
Registered
602 Posts
like the batman emblem on the front

end thread steal

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have to put this out there. Are you going for looks or for some place to add extra lights? Also, if you actually go wheeling with your truck, a BullBar will limit your approach angles and front-end ground clearance.
more for looks. i will eventually be putting foglights in but not on the bar. im not exactly an offroading type either lol.

It definitely puts a hurt in your clearance! Here is a pic of mine. I live in Florida...the land with no hills so I had no draw backs with the clearance and I only lost about 1 1/2 inches with it. But I like it

like the batman symbol! what kinda bar is that? where did you buy it from? im not really worried about clearance.. no real plans to go offroading with the truck.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Since you are not going offroad then the one that Hutch has is going to be your most unique solution. I believe Rusty has this and Pro2x did. Your other option is the Westin one but you see them on everything so they are not unique.

Your other option is going to be a "brush guard" but that has its own drawbacks. It gets very dirty and if you are ever in an accident, it will cause more damage to the vehicle then it would help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
cool thanks dubie, appreciate the input!

where did you get your bar from?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am not going to say anything about brush guards that probably hasn't been said on this and other forums many many times.
I just would not recommend them.
The bully bar on Scott Hutch's truck might be better then a brush guard in that it might cause much less damage then a brush guard will if you ever actually hit something with it.
A lot depends on how it is attached. By the time you get to the top most part of the bar that is where most of the potential leverage is to rip the bolts right out of the frame or really bend the frame depending on how much the force of impact is and how its attached to the frame.
If you want real protection a full bumper replacement with bully bars welded on such as on Phil's truck is the best way to go. It is no guarantee against damage but it will be able to take a lot more force before damaging your truck then either a bolt on brush guard or bully bar.
I will be making something that resembles the bolt on bully bar in the future but it will basically play more of a role as a light bar then something you would expect protection from. The physics of the bolt on bully bar and brush guards are such that they are almost always a bad idea, unless you are from the school that says anything that makes you drive more careful is a good thing, like having a 12" spike sticking out of your steering wheel would make you drive very careful. Forgive my hyperbole.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not going to say anything about brush guards that probably hasn't been said on this and other forums many many times.
I just would not recommend them.
The bully bar on Scott Hutch's truck might be better then a brush guard in that it might cause much less damage then a brush guard will if you ever actually hit something with it.
A lot depends on how it is attached. By the time you get to the top most part of the bar that is where most of the potential leverage is to rip the bolts right out of the frame or really bend the frame depending on how much the force of impact is and how its attached to the frame.
If you want real protection a full bumper replacement with bully bars welded on such as on Phil's truck is the best way to go. It is no guarantee against damage but it will be able to take a lot more force before damaging your truck then either a bolt on brush guard or bully bar.
I will be making something that resembles the bolt on bully bar in the future but it will basically play more of a role as a light bar then something you would expect protection from. The physics of the bolt on bully bar and brush guards are such that they are almost always a bad idea, unless you are from the school that says anything that makes you drive more careful is a good thing, like having a 12" spike sticking out of your steering wheel would make you drive very careful. Forgive my hyperbole.

haha i gotta say i appreciate the comment. enjoyed the 12 inch spike idea!:fantastic: i've only been considering a bar for about 3 days now.. kinda just in the preliminary stages of deciding what i want to do. There is a truck or two that has one in my area that im trying to catch a better glimpse of to see what they look like in person. Pictures say a lot but seeing it in person will probably sway me one way or the other.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I got mine for a place to mount lights and of course looks. I got it for 85 shipped on ebay. It was called a Black Bullet Bull Bar.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts