Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have experience in welding and I love learning new things. I'm thinking about tackling the project of building a set of rock sliders. I plan on building my own with an emphasis on how inconspicuous they will look (think the Shrockworks or the Rocky Road sliders). Mounting may require drilling. Haven't decided on that yet (kind of want to get some feedback on what consumers think). Personally, I don't mind drilling if I know that will be the best way to mount them. I don't want to sacrifice strength for ease of install...

That being said, if there is anyone interested in working with me on the design/learning process, I'll be happy to make you a set (just cover the price of materials). If you can make it to Lexington, KY, I'll even install them!

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I might be able to help with the design, I have a fair amount of CAD experience. Not so much on the welding experience though, so this might work out well. Is your truck a KC or CC?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I'm a KC as well so I can help make a design using measurements off my truck. You said like Shrockworks and rocky road, both of their designs are very simple and are really just some square tubing with a small section of round tube kick out. You could probably make them less noticeable if you did away with the round tube section, but then you would also lose the side impact protection they offer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed. That's exactly what I'm shooting for. I like the 45 degree bevel on the front and back of the Rocky Road, but I don't like that they seem to stop short of both wheel wells. I'd like to see if there is a way to design these so they come closer to each wheel well without dropping too far down to clear the bulge of the wheel well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used trail gear kit from 4wheelparts. 78" for crew cab. 67" or 63" would work for King cab. Got them disassembled so I could weld them as I wanted. $300ish totally installed. Took me maybe 3 hours to weld and mock up. Super awesome and great coverage

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Looked up the "Trail gear" kit thinking they used "CREW" for material.They actually use "DOM" ,a much better material and a lot more expensive. Unless you own equipment or plan on purchasing equipment (tube bender,chop saw,tube notcher etc.) I would go with what drewbie suggested.Heck,a decent notcher cost more than the kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts