Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoyed having a roof rack on my Frontie and after getting a bed cap I decided to build a roof rack for it too, using 2" metal conduit pipe and 3/4" pipe for the cross-bars. I am not a welder, and this is my second welding project. Just showing off. If you have any questions, ask.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So finally i finished it. Not yet on the truck, but will be once I paint the cap. Here is a couple of picture finished. Before and after the bed liner paint job:

Cheers,
Mad

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Take lots of install pics, very interested in seeing the install

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Looks good, let's see it on your truck

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i am done. It took me a total of 3 days to build a paint booth, paint and install the rack. Here is a video of the painting process:

https://youtu.be/hDtIYMHcYXE

and here is the finished look:

I also made a video for the installation processof the rack. Need to edit it and post on YouTube.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks good. Pretty clean for your second welding project. Nice booth setup too. I just recently had my white top painted to match my grey truck. Thought about bedlining it but it would have cost more to have it color matched.

From the pictures it looks like your cap is about 1/2" to 1" too far forward. You should give a little room for flex, the first speed bump you cross diagonally you could rub the new cap liner and the cab paint right off and possibly damage the mounting points of your racks. Could just be the picture though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good. ......

From the pictures it looks like your cap is about 1/2" to 1" too far forward. You should give a little room for flex, the first speed bump you cross diagonally you could rub the new cap liner and the cab paint right off and possibly damage the mounting points of your racks. Could just be the picture though.
Thank you. You were right. The top was not sitting correctly and I had to readjust its position. All is good now.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would have hated to see all that hard work go to waste ;-)

How much $ do you have invested between the booth and spray? Just curious as it cost me $450 (with cash discount) to get my cap painted. I was a bit reluctant to drop any more money on the cap after buying it a year ago for $2000 but I also wasn't about to ride around with a mismatched truck and cap. I did that on my S-10 and my '04 Frontier.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have hated to see all that hard work go to waste ;-)

How much $ do you have invested between the booth and spray? Just curious as it cost me $450 (with cash discount) to get my cap painted. I was a bit reluctant to drop any more money on the cap after buying it a year ago for $2000 but I also wasn't about to ride around with a mismatched truck and cap. I did that on my S-10 and my '04 Frontier.
The booth, including the fan, plastic sheeting and the PVC frame cost me right at $100. The base paint about $80, the Raptor liner kit and the gun, $90. So it looks like around $270.

Cheers,
Mad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts