Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right thread but this bumper will be used off road so I posted it here.

I am going to tackle the project of building a rear bumper. I am just looking for any pointers, opinions, help, etc. Anything is welcome.

Plan so far:
I want to build a square/rectangle steel bumper like the KMA multi carrier bumper.
I have full access to metal sheer, welder, hydraulic break, and much more but have never built anything like this.
I do not want a tire carrier or anything like that on it.
I plan to incorporate a 2" i.d. reciever hitch so I can ditch my stock one.
I plan to weld in two shackle mounts.

I am just looking for any kind of help. Penski I know you have built a lot of stuff so I hope you chime in.

I am not exactly sure what to look at for metal. I was thinking of using 3/32" or 1/8" steel and bend it up myself or if I should buy some rectangle tubing and use that.

And lastly I am not sure how I am going to mount it up yet. I was thinking of running metal straight from to the new bumper to the frame and use the stock bolt holes. But I think I might need to beef it up some for the hitch.

Thanks ahead of time for any/all help

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
good luck! i cant wait to see what it will look like! any chance of sendin one my way once you get it all down-pat??

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
some nice features to consider would be back-up lights, antena mount, and wrap around protection

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
good luck! i cant wait to see what it will look like! any chance of sendin one my way once you get it all down-pat??
haha yeah right... I just figured I would give it a shot.

some nice features to consider would be back-up lights, antena mount, and wrap around protection
I am going to have a CB antenna mount, forgot to list that. And I was thinking about doing some recessed led reverse lights or something like that.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
I think incorporating a Hi-lift jack mount like they have for Jeep's would be a nice touch. Maybe angle it abit for a nice look or straight up with a swing-arm so you can pull it out incase something happens. I know you dont want your tailgate getting bent up. Plus double mounts for Cb antenna's.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
put some huge spikes on the back for more effective brake checking... haha.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Have you thought of taking your stock hitch and flipping it upside down. So it gives you extar clearance. Then possibly figure the bumper desgin around that. Just an idea...

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Have you thought of taking your stock hitch and flipping it upside down. So it gives you extar clearance. Then possibly figure the bumper desgin around that. Just an idea...
I dunno if it will even bolt on upside down. Pretty sure it wont but I can check. That wouldnt be a bad idea.

I think incorporating a Hi-lift jack mount like they have for Jeep's would be a nice touch. Maybe angle it abit for a nice look or straight up with a swing-arm so you can pull it out incase something happens. I know you dont want your tailgate getting bent up. Plus double mounts for Cb antenna's.
No need for double mounts, and I don't want anything that has to be moved or swong out of the way to open the tailgate. I drive around with teh gate down a lot so that would be a no go.

And a Hi lift would not be a bad idea if I could figure out a vertical mount on the opposite side of the CB antenna as long as it clears the tailgate.

put some huge spikes on the back for more effective brake checking... haha.
hell yeah. 12" steel spikes it is

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
^have you thought about making a mount on the metal prtion of the back of the tailgate that usually is covered by that ugly plastic. The only portion of the bed not sprayed from the factory. Thats actually where i have my Hi-lift jack mounted.

Here's a pic.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't even own a high lift so no I have not thought about it lol.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Subscribing to see what you come up with. Good luck man. I have been thinking about this myself but was thinking starting off a calmini design. Make sure to keep us posted :)
thanks, I am going to call my work's metal supplier tomorrow and get some prices on some sheet metal.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one thing you can do with the mounts is build it so it incorporates both the stock bumper mounts as well as the stock hitch mounts. Thats what im planning on doing with my rear bumper once i find time to build it.
I plan on using the stock bolt holes in the frame but I am ditching the stock mounting brackets. And I would prefer to ditch my receiver all together but I am going to look at it and see if I can incorporate the stock one somehow.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
one thing you can do with the mounts is build it so it incorporates both the stock bumper mounts as well as the stock hitch mounts. Thats what im planning on doing with my rear bumper once i find time to build it.
That's what they did here. This also gives you a nice mounting point for side protection.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You can buy the receivers at most auto parts stores and just weld it to ur bumper and fab up something to help stiffin it up. I meant to use the stock mount locations but fab up new brackets that way you can get something beefy enough for the bumper and just mount them where you need them
yeah that is basically my idea. I am just going to buy a receiver tube and weld it in. Brace it front and back and tie it into the frame directly like the stock hitch does. But it will be part of the bumper. So the bumper/hitch will be bolted in the stock location for the bumper and in the stock location for the hitch.

It should make it beefy enough to be able to take some hits and still tow

That's what they did here. This also gives you a nice mounting point for side protection.

thats not bad at all. Basically like what I want to build

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
I know Mr.Plow did something very simliar to what Bigdog showed. I alsways liked it. Plus in person that thing was way beefier than it looked in the pics he shown.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts