Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please take in consideration im a first time truck owner. I came across a really good deal on a 2015 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, 5" bed. It's the "S" trim and it's a rear wheel drive. I was conflicted because I kind of wanted a 4X4 but I bought it. My question is, if I wanted to have this truck as a bug out vehicle, is there even a point in maybe adding some off-road tires and lifting it, say 4" to fit said tires, or would that be just dumb and look tacky? Do people in the truck community in general lift and add offroad tires to rear wheel drive trucks or is it tacky?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also im kind of taking a guess here assuming id have to lift the truck to fit bigger offroad tires. I am so sorry but im a complete newbie to trucks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Please take in consideration im a first time truck owner. I came across a really good deal on a 2015 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, 5" bed. It's the "S" trim and it's a rear wheel drive. I was conflicted because I kind of wanted a 4X4 but I bought it. My question is, if I wanted to have this truck as a bug out vehicle, is there even a point in maybe adding some off-road tires and lifting it, say 4" to fit said tires, or would that be just dumb and look tacky? Do people in the truck community in general lift and add offroad tires to rear wheel drive trucks or is it tacky?
FishBones, It is cheaper to achieve the 4" lift with the rwd than 4wd. Checkout cst spindle lift. I see couple of them listed under the classified section>parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a similar Fronty, and have owned several 4WD trucks. I don't think it's worth lifting the truck, and adding bigger tires as the truck isn't really suitable for any serious off- roading. Aggressive tires on all four corners help a lot, and work well for snow driving with a 2WD truck, and will help some for off road. My suggestion is save your money, and instead of lifting or bigger/aggressive noisy tires, invest in a pair of tire chains which do indeed increase the off-road capabilities of 2 WD vehicles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a similar Fronty, and have owned several 4WD trucks. I don't think it's worth lifting the truck, and adding bigger tires as the truck isn't really suitable for any serious off- roading. Aggressive tires on all four corners help a lot, and work well for snow driving with a 2WD truck, and will help some for off road. My suggestion is save your money, and instead of lifting or bigger/aggressive noisy tires, invest in a pair of tire chains which do indeed increase the off-road capabilities of 2 WD vehicles.

I like the idea of tire chains and that might be a viable option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FishBones, It is cheaper to achieve the 4" lift with the rwd than 4wd. Checkout cst spindle lift. I see couple of them listed under the classified section>parts.
What are my options as far as lifting to fit a set of decent offroad tires? I mention 4" because I've read an article about it, but does it have to be 4"? Could it be 2" and still safely accommodate offroad tires?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzak tires worked WONDERS on my 2004 F150 Xl that was rear wheel(really one wheel since no diff) in the snow in Michigan ... huge difference.... does your 2wd have the locking diff?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Do people in the truck community in general lift and add offroad tires to rear wheel drive trucks or is it tacky?
Most all pre- runner type vehicles are rear wheel drive.
These are mostly used for desert type terrain and not for rock crawling.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Is your truck a V6 or a four banger?
You do not necessarily need to go with larger tires.You can run a decent off- road tire if you stay about the same size tire you have on it now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bridgestone Blizzak tires worked WONDERS on my 2004 F150 Xl that was rear wheel(really one wheel since no diff) in the snow in Michigan ... huge difference.... does your 2wd have the locking diff?
I checked today, yes it has locking differential.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
For a BOV, just being able to hop curbs is a huge advantage - It can get you out of stalled traffic, around vehicle accidents, etc.

However, the Frontier's stock grille under the front bumper hangs low, and the radiator behind it is vulnerable to damage, too.

Shrockworks makes a front bumper that does away with the original low-hanging grille - and it also includes a thick skid plate for protecting the radiator, at no extra charge.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
my thoughts. 2wd is quite capable with a mild lift or stock height. Mod 1 would be a locker for the rear. a locker a little extra speed will get you through a lot.
Next would be not expecting to get too radical on where you can go, but you will need to get out on some trails with friends and find your limits.
as far as a BOV, I keep a supply of nessities in my truck in MOLLE bags in the door pockets for EDC. I find a full BOB takes too much room since I also have to carry work gear (oil field PPE) too.
Really, the only thing that isnt in the truck that would be close to a BOB is my psitol and rifle bags that I grab depending on where Im headed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my thoughts. 2wd is quite capable with a mild lift or stock height. Mod 1 would be a locker for the rear. a locker a little extra speed will get you through a lot.
Next would be not expecting to get too radical on where you can go, but you will need to get out on some trails with friends and find your limits.
as far as a BOV, I keep a supply of nessities in my truck in MOLLE bags in the door pockets for EDC. I find a full BOB takes too much room since I also have to carry work gear (oil field PPE) too.
Really, the only thing that isnt in the truck that would be close to a BOB is my psitol and rifle bags that I grab depending on where Im headed.
I like that setup. I CARRY some stuff on the truck as well, working on getting a toolbox so I can securely CARRY more.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
What everyone thinks bugging out looks like:

What bugging out actually looks like:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
What everyone thinks bugging out looks like:

What bugging out actually looks like:

you are right, but there is one detail that is missing.
the people with the prepper mind set that has their vehicle rigged out and ready to go likely had a hotel booked in San Antonio a week earlier and left a day or so before those pictures were taken.

Depending on where your bugging out of, you may need some offroad capacity.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Lack of fuel along the evacuation route is often a huge problem - Many of the gas stations are either closed, have run out of gas, don't have electricity to pump gas, or have lost the connection to their credit card merchants (in which only cash is accepted).

Crawling along at 5 MPH in traffic jams doesn't help the fuel economy, either.

Sadly, Nissan doesn't offer a larger fuel tank as an option on the Frontier, and nobody seems to make a decent aftermarket upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
For a BOT, I'd agree with Ski about the bumper. May even decide to get a winch. The locker will be a BIG asset. For tires I'd stick with either stock size 265/70/16 or 265/75/16 (31 or 32 inch) with a good AT tread pattern.

A solid bumper is good not just for radiator protection or winch placement but if you need to "nudge" something too. The plastic bumper won't stand up to anything and if you lose a headlamp because you had to pop through some bushes that would be frustrating.

Sadly, Nissan doesn't offer a larger fuel tank as an option on the Frontier, and nobody seems to make a decent aftermarket upgrade.
my suggestion for a fix there is to drop a fuel cell between the frame rails where the spare sits. That then pushes the need to find another location for the spare... But with a 15-25 gal tank under the bed and either using a small pump to push the fuel from the aux into the prime tank or some other solution...

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I am sorry but a Nissan Frontier would not make a very good "BOV", especially a two wheel drive.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I am sorry but a Nissan Frontier would not make a very good "BOV", especially a two wheel drive.
Gotta disagree.

Just off the top of my head:

1. Good ground clearance - Even a base 2WD model will ford streams and low-water crossings that would float away most minivans or crossover SUVs.

2. Reliable.

3. Decent cargo-hauling capability.

4. Good towing capacity - Very handy if you're bugging out with a trailer.

5. Easy to repair on the road - Simple, and low-tech. Plenty of repair parts available. (Try getting a fuel pump for yer bloody Land Rover while you're broken down in Sabinal, Texas!)

6. Fairly compact - Can squeeze through spaces no Suburban or F-150 would even dream of!

7. Very capable highway cruiser - Can comfortably transport 4+ people long distances at 85+ MPH.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts