Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've ridden in a truck through the Tail of the Dragon...but there was so many other bikes and cops traffic was pretty slow. I've heard if you go there really early it's not bad, plus some of the guys I ride with say there's plenty of other roads that are almost as good but not as popular to hit. I'd still like to take my bike down in that area some day.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've ridden in a truck through the Tail of the Dragon...but there was so many other bikes and cops traffic was pretty slow. I've heard if you go there really early it's not bad, plus some of the guys I ride with say there's plenty of other roads that are almost as good but not as popular to hit. I'd still like to take my bike down in that area some day.
We went on Monday so traffic wasn't too bad. I didn't see 1 cop the whole time I was out there. And you're right there are a lot of roads in the area that are amazing for riding.

So what is the Tail of the Dragon
It's a part of US129 that has 318 turns in 11 miles. Very popular with bikes and sports cars

Here's a pic from the trip

·
Registered
452 Posts
My brother used to go up there all the time in his M3 and burn it up. He's offered to take me but I declined because I value my life :) It is a beautiful area to drive through though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh ok, wow that sounds awesome
It really is, and the scenery is beyond words. I was just there in May as well as last year for a huge event called ZDayZ for all generations of Z's :D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Getting that knee out there with just jeans on...ballsy man!! I ride like such a wimp if I'm don't have my full leathers on lol!

Is that an xb9?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Getting that knee out there with just jeans on...ballsy man!! I ride like such a wimp if I'm don't have my full leathers on lol!

Is that an xb9?
Haha yeah I accidentally touched it down for a brief second, so I had to back off a little bit.

Bike is an '05 Buell XB12S Lightning. Freaking love the bike.

Had such a great time that I am headed back this coming week.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Wow that sounds like fun. Is it a highly patrolled area? I would imagine there are a lot of speeders.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yeah its pretty highly patrolled and the cops up there have some Aprillia Rsv1000r's
Wow...for an instant there I thought it might be cool to be a cop. I'd ride around on my Aprillia giving tickets to cars and cruisers slowing down traffic. Then I'd flip on the flashing lights and ROMP through the Tail, slow rider's pulling over like crazy to get outta my way!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Police presence there has really been beefed up after they had 5 fatal crotch rocket accidents in one month last year. For a while they were ticketing everything that moved. Crotch rocket riders really spoiled a good thing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good ol Buell.. Im ridin a Xb12STT.. love it.. Ever since i got it my 1000RR sits in the garage all alone.. hahaha!!! think its collecting dust...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Police presence there has really been beefed up after they had 5 fatal crotch rocket accidents in one month last year. For a while they were ticketing everything that moved. Crotch rocket riders really spoiled a good thing.
I hope you realize there is a difference between "crotch rocket" riders and sport bike riders. I consider myself in the latter group.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I hope you realize there is a difference between "crotch rocket" riders and sport bike riders. I consider myself in the latter group.
+1 There is definitely a big difference

Good ol Buell.. Im ridin a Xb12STT.. love it.. Ever since i got it my 1000RR sits in the garage all alone.. hahaha!!! think its collecting dust...
Turn that 1000RR into a dedicated track bike. Awesome to see another buell on here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts