Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting in the 2008 Frontier recently, my driver's seat goes "pop" and feels like one of the bolts has come loose from the floor. That's kind of how it looks also, as the seat now rocks pretty freely. The dealer diagnosed it yesterday and said the seat frame assembly is broken and needs to be replaced. $1450 for the part and another $400 for labor. I was shocked that this was going to be over $2000 to repair after tax.

Anybody else experienced this on a Frontier, and do you have any advice for repairing it? I suppose I should remove the seat and verify where it is broken, although it sounds just like what Murano owners have complained about for years.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
For $2000, I'd be pulling the seat to see what and where is broken. Not knowing the availability and price of a used seat, I'd look at what is broken. If it is a spot weld that popped, it is possible you can disassemble that part of the seat and fix the spot. Not sure of your welding abilities, but you may be able to find a welding shop that would put a few welds on it.

But, if the whole seat frame is jacked, I'd go for a used seat.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Local junkyard. From 2005-current the seat assemblies have not changed. You'll find one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
No wonder people have the opinion of dealer service like they do. Is $2000 for a brand new complete and upholstered seat or just a frame?

Clint

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Dealerships replace...not repair/fix. Get other non-dealer opinions OR DIY.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$2000 is just the seat frame. It's part# 87450-EA200: 2008 Nissan Frontier Front Seat - NissanPartsDeal.com

I'm not the typical member here. I don't even own a socket wrench. I watched a video of a guy replacing the same part on his Murano and it looks like there's a ton of labor involved in getting the part on and off, even if you know what you're doing. The entire seat has to be taken apart, all the motors and stuff has to be removed, and the new part itself is still $1200 from the cheapest place I can find. I have aftermarket leather, so I don't think I can easily buy a seat from a salvage yard and swap it out. I guess it's either time to either learn how to do this myself or just bite the bullet and pay them what they want.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The shop that did your aftermarket leather can probably help, or at least recommend someone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pictures and maybe a video would help me understand...
Video is from a Murano owner, but it's same broken part in the same spot, and the same teardown process to get at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_491KB3qbQ

I'm probably capable of doing it, but with having to remove all the trim and the seat cushion, and with electronic controls and an airbag to worry about, it sure looks like a lot can go wrong. Then I'd have to take the frame and have somebody weld it properly, and hope it holds up. I'm just trying to decide whether I should even attempt it. This part failure is pretty common for Murano owners, but I guess it's not very common for Frontier owners.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the video and more info... after seeing this I'm with shizzy, just get a whole seat from a junker and swap out your upholstery and cushions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the video and more info... after seeing this I'm with shizzy, just get a whole seat from a junker and swap out your upholstery and cushions.
I can imagine how weak this sounds, but how would I go about that? Just call around area junkyards and ask for a power driver's seat from a 2008 Frontier LE? I'm positive if I can source the seat that I can do the rest myself, but believe it or not, finding the seat is the hard part for me.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
This seems like something that you should easily be able to do on your own, just follow the steps in the video, keep everything organized, take pictures to review when you put everything back together. If I were you I would start calling around to junkyards and asking if they have the seat you need. The seat can be from 2005 to current, I'm sure you can find something. Just get the entire seat and use the parts you need. There is no way this should cost $2000 doing it that way.

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
If you can't score the same color at the junkyard, you could use aftermarket carseat covers on both front seats to match 'em up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have the same problem on my 2007 frontier nismo. turns out that the roller bearings are falling out of the adjuster. have had no luck finding a seat anywhere. not even the body shop i use can find one, dont know how hard they are looking. i live in so cal and there are at least 10 local pick-a-part yards near me and i havent even seen a frontier 2005 and newer. i dont know where they are hiding them but they are doing a good job at it. dealer sells a new "seat adjuster" for under $600. i have a piece of a 2x4 jammed under the seat corner. to keep it from rocking. too bad for the wife she cant move the seat up to drive MY truck. my seat in manuel not power.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
They actually sell the individual parts for the Muranos and the rear lift is available through Dorman. I wonder if those parts would fit the Frontier seat frame or be close enough to "make work?" The parts are listed in a TSB for the Murano seat repair.

Reactions: ef9

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've only found one source for a replacement seat, about 300 miles away, and they've ignored my email inquiry for days. Hard to believe in a city of over a million people, there's not one area junkyard with a 2005-2008 Frontier. Just my luck, I guess. Plan B might be removing the seat and finding a welder.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Try Car-part.com for the seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts