Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, been driving my 01 frontier for
15 years. My driver door handle
broken. Remote broke years ago. Can unlock driver door, only door with a lock, but can't get in since handle is broken. How can I get in!! Help!!

·
Super Moderator
10,403 Posts
Locksmith with a slim jim to open passenger side door.
Some tow companies have them too.

Clint

·
Registered
190 Posts
Kinda sounds like his passenger side might be rigged shut somehow (he says no other door with lock). I imagine they might be able to jimmy the driver door though, even with the broken outside handle. Maybe post a pic? Depending on how it broke you might be able to rig something up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the handle itself broke. The part of the handle that goes inside the door that connects to the latch rod is still on the handle but rod dropped out of reach.

·
Super Moderator
10,403 Posts
Kinda sounds like his passenger side might be rigged shut somehow (he says no other door with lock). I imagine they might be able to jimmy the driver door though, even with the broken outside handle. Maybe post a pic? Depending on how it broke you might be able to rig something up.
No keyhole in passenger side door.

Clint

·
Registered
188 Posts
sounds like once you get it open, a trip to your local junk yard and getting another door is in order! cheapest fix too probably.

Had to do this for a door on my cherokee, costs me like $35, and $8 for a can of body matched paint. wah-lah!

·
Super Moderator
10,403 Posts
You can use a coat hanger very carefully. Cut a coat hanger getting rid of the twisted part, open it up straight and then bend a piece about an inch and a half 90 degrees. Slid it down between the glass and the rubber above the handle or a little close towards the door edge and wiggle it up and down as you make contact with the lock mechanism, you need to keep the bent part facing towards the front or back until it unlocks, you’ll figure it out. . Usually it’s not hard to do and don’t yank anything as you don’t want to break a wire or anything else in there.
Good luck.

Clint

·
Registered
245 Posts
Even though there is no keyhole on the passenger side, there is still a locking mechanism that should respond to the slim-jim technique. If the linkage on the driver's side is messed up, the passenger side should be the easier way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
yo9u have power door locks, yes? when you turn the key to unlock the driver's side, 1 turn unlocks just driver, 2 turns unlocks all doors. At least it does on 2nd gen. And my 04 Hyundai. it's a pretty standard practice for quite a while now, especially on a PL vehicle with no lock on pass side

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
No keyhole in passenger side door.
I ABSOLUTELY hate this cost-savings measure. I don't use "fobs". My '98 Frontier has passenger side keyhole, my 2004 does not. And neither does our 2005 Yukon. Apparently once one manufacturer cut cost with this "wonderful" idea, others jumped on it. Super dumb in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Needle nosed pliers are your friend

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk Pro

·
Rogue Admin
13,349 Posts
I ABSOLUTELY hate this cost-savings measure. I don't use "fobs". My '98 Frontier has passenger side keyhole, my 2004 does not. And neither does our 2005 Yukon. Apparently once one manufacturer cut cost with this "wonderful" idea, others jumped on it. Super dumb in my opinion.
Cutting costs was not the only reason that they cut the locks, it was deemed a theft deterrent from the days when thieves used dent pullers and a screw on the passenger door (usually more out of sight) to gain entry. Some manufacturers offered key hole covers or door handle replacements. My brother woke up two mornings with his Mazda missing and nothing but the lock with a screw stuck in it on the ground. Ahhhh the good ol' days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got in

Ok, I did the old pull the corner of the door open with wedges and used a wire coat hanger to pull the inside handle. Taped a mirror on the other side so I could see what I was doing. Easy really. Thanks for all the ideas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts