Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sucks... I was reinstalling my rad skid and somehow cross-threaded one of the bolts. So I thought, no problem, I'll just use my friends thread repair kit and it'll be as good as new. Well I started turning the tool in the thread and about half way in, it snapped. (as did my patience:censor:) So how in the hell was I supposed to take this out? I know about tap removal tools but the flutes on the tap were much too small for any tool I can find anywhere. So I decided to try to freeze the tap and try to crack it out. Well when I hit it with the hammer, it came out all right, along with the welded nut in the frame. What the hell now, is there any hope here?

For those that may suggest drilling it out and using an Easyout, I thought about that too but in order to do so, I needed to buy a carbide bit. The salesperson at the store told me that if I tried to use the bit in a hand drill, it would shatter in no time because they are so brittle. I didn't want to risk a $25 bit shattering on me in 10 secs. so that's why I went the other route. On hindsight....

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have a welder this is an easy repair. First you need to cut the area around the nut out of the frame. Just cut out a square a little bigger than the nut, next weld a new nut to a piece of metal 1/8-3/6 with a hole in the center that is the same size as the hole in the frame. Now weld the square piece into the frame. Grind it smooth and shoot some paint on it and no one will ever notice the repair

1 - 2 of 2 Posts