Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are peoples experiences with these 2 tires?

I need to replace my stockers after about 35,000 miles. My truck stays on road, and the only real challenge would be winter, so snow and ice.

I had revos on my old Jeep and I liked them.

But I've heard a lot of good things about the Firestones. One bad thing that comes up is that they are poor tires in the winter. Is this true?

I'm in Canada so while I can appreciate that someone in Texas may feel strongly about one or the other, lets try to throw some relevant opinions out there too.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
The new Revo 2 is slightly less aggressive than the old revo. I live in the south though, so can't give any winter driving experience. I have dest. MT's and have driven in snow w/ no problems but thats a totally different animal than the at's.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Destination ATs here, living in Pennsylvania.
They worked well last winter, although our winters probably aren't as severe as yours.
I think the deepest snow I was in was maybe 10-11" with them.
They grip in the dry, hold the road in the wet, quiet on the highway, so far they have impressed me.
They appear to be wearing well, I have right around 5,000 miles on them, they're due up for rotation at my next oil change.
At this point I would rate them highly and recommend them to anyone, keep in mind though I have few miles to base my opinion on.
We'll see how many miles they last, that will determine my final verdict.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Destination ATs here, living in Pennsylvania.
They worked well last winter, although our winters probably aren't as severe as yours.
I think the deepest snow I was in was maybe 10-11" with them.
They grip in the dry, hold the road in the wet, quiet on the highway, so far they have impressed me.
They appear to be wearing well, I have right around 5,000 miles on them, they're due up for rotation at my next oil change.
At this point I would rate them highly and recommend them to anyone, keep in mind though I have few miles to base my opinion on.
We'll see how many miles they last, that will determine my final verdict.
I can't say we get a lot of snow, but the problem is the cold with enough snow to make it slippery. I didn't get to try the revos in this as I sold my Jeep in the summer right before I bought my frontier.

I'd think about a dedicated winter tire, but the reality is I'd spend 4 months of the winter on bare pavement.

Has anyone used a 265-75-16 tire instead of a 265-70-16 on their trucks? I know it shouldn't change much, I'm just wondering about sensors and stuff.

Kind of leaning towards the firestones

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I've had the Revo(2)s for about 13,000 miles now and they are wearing extremely well so far.
Had them in the snow/ice (more ice than snow down here) a couple times and was very happy with their performance. It was nothing like what you see up there, the worst we had here last year was about a half inch of ice cover by 4-6 inches of snow (which also was frozen solid on top, gotta love that freezing rain). I had no problems getting around with these tires and only 2wd.

My uncle has the Destination ATs on his truck and he says it's a great tire as well. I think you'll be happy with either one you go with.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Has anyone used a 265-75-16 tire instead of a 265-70-16 on their trucks? I know it shouldn't change much, I'm just wondering about sensors and stuff.
I upped my tires to 265/75-16 when I put the Firestones on (from the OEM 265/70-16 BFG).
It actually fixed my speedometer to match my GPS by upsizing.
I did notice my gas mileage drop off a tiny bit though, just for the record.
You're talking about an inch bigger in diameter going from 70s to 75s, which means 1/2" taller obviously.
My truck is an SE model but the Nismos came with 265/75-16s from the factory if I'm not mistaken.
75s fit fine with no rubbing issues or other problems.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I upped my tires to 265/75-16 when I put the Firestones on (from the OEM 265/70-16 BFG).
It actually fixed my speedometer to match my GPS by upsizing.
I did notice my gas mileage drop off a tiny bit though, just for the record.
You're talking about an inch bigger in diameter going from 70s to 75s, which means 1/2" taller obviously.
My truck is an SE model but the Nismos came with 265/75-16s from the factory if I'm not mistaken.
75s fit fine with no rubbing issues or other problems.
Yeah the only reason I ask is that the bigger tires are cheaper. I have an SE as well, good to know they still fit ,and I'm assuming all your tire pressure/ ABS sensors still work.....right? Lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Yeah the only reason I ask is that the bigger tires are cheaper. I have an SE as well, good to know they still fit ,and I'm assuming all your tire pressure/ ABS sensors still work.....right? Lol.
Yep, everything still works fine.
Just an FYI, I have aftermarket rims on (MB Predators) which push my tires out of the wheel wells by about 5/8" or so (diff. offset then OEM rims).
Still, I know the Nismos (with Nismo rims) ran 265/75-16 with the same offset as SE rim (30mm) and no problems.
Quite a few guys run the 265/75-16 on OEM rims, I'm sure they'll chime in to put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I currently have the Destination A/Ts and have been very impressed with them in all regards. I had the regular Revos on one of my Jeeps and couldn't have been more impressed with them. Long story short, I think you'd be happy with either one, but the Destination A/Ts are a little more offroad oriented. My Destination A/Ts have been much better than expected off the pavement while the Revo II looks like its going more street oriented.

I wish I could comment on the Revo IIs, but my Revos were amazing in the snow/ice and my Destination A/Ts are almost as good.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The Revos on our Pathfinder kicked A$$ last winter. Story: Had the family at the sisters in SLC Ut. and got a huge snowstorm when we were leaving. Cars spinnin out all over, deep ruts of snow/slush and these things just pounded thru it all - never lost grip. I cant imagine a diffferent tire for that rig again. Even in the mild snows here in boise the vehicle stays easily manageable, no surprises.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Revos on our Pathfinder kicked A$$ last winter. Story: Had the family at the sisters in SLC Ut. and got a huge snowstorm when we were leaving. Cars spinnin out all over, deep ruts of snow/slush and these things just puonded thru it all - never lost grip. I cant imagine a diffferent tire for that rig again. Even in the mild snows here in boise the vehicle stays easily manageable, no surprises.
Yeah, I'm going to go with the revos. Too many mixed opinions about the Firestones in winter driving. Not here in particular, but general interweb opinions.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've found mine to do pretty well. They do fine in all conditions, but they do exceptionally well at stopping in snowy/icy conditions. There are a few spots in my normal driving that other vehicles consistently had issues stopping at (wanted to slide) where mine always stopped with no issues.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just had these tires put on today at Firestone. They're offering a $100 American Express rebate card from Sept. 2nd thru Oct. 2nd. I had a set of original revos on a Ford Ranger 4x4 years ago and found them to be excellent tires, great wet & dry grip and very quiet. I put over 40,000 on them when I sold it and still had quite bit of tread left. This is the reason why I replaced the terrible OEM tires with half the tread on them.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
The Revo2 will actually get stickier (grippier) as you drive it more. It got a dual layer tread design that improves traction as you wear them down.

·
Registered
321 Posts
They don't actually get better traction as it wears down. Basically, the tread pattern just starts over when they wear down so you still have decent traction as they wear down. However, your snow and off road traction will suffer from not having much tread depth.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a good deal on the Bridgestone Dueler AT 695's. They were under 700 all in at costco and seem to get decent reviews. We'll see how they handle the winter.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The 695's were good in the winter but I hated them in the mud! =O Really failed me one day in my blazer... Slid 50' sideways down a hill till the grade mellowed out. Everyone else climbed it no-prob.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 695's were good in the winter but I hated them in the mud! =O Really failed me one day in my blazer... Slid 50' sideways down a hill till the grade mellowed out. Everyone else climbed it no-prob.
Cool, well I haven't had my truck in mud yet so as long as they do okay in the snow and last longer than the stockers I'll be happy.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just looked into both of these a TON in the last week myself, I'm looking to get some tires to swap out for my cordovans for the winter up here in Edmonton (treads gettin a little too low for comfort...)

Firestones - I was quoted at about 880 at a local shop, has slightly more tread, and slightly heavier (1 pound i think)

Bridgestones - Was quoted around 1100

Both are made with UNI-T and should perform fairly similar, I do believe the REVO2 has a bit more of the edge when it comes to wet roads due to its tread, but if you take a look at their tread side by side they're both really similar outside of the middle tread

Both realy have good reviews from what I've found on the net, but keep in mind they're both still all terrain tires and won't do the greatest on ice. If you wanan savea few coin go with the firestones, if you want something a little better and don't mind spending 200 more then go with the bridgestones.

Just as an aside, the chevy trucks the CF uses for domestic use have firestone destination ats on them, and their contracts always go to the smallest bidder. So what i'm really saying is that the firestones will get the job done and are probably one of the best value tires out there.

As a further aside tho, I juts pulled the trigger on some Goodyear Wrangler duratracs. got em priced at a local shop for about 1150, and they of tough construction, and have really good siping IMO, and are winter snowflake rated. Deeper tread too, heavier, etc... but definitly worth at least a look

Happy hunting

·
Registered
8 Posts
What kind of qutoes are people getting for a set of these (revos or destinations)? I was quoted 690 otd for the destination a/t....Firestone seems to be having a deal on the Revo 2s because I was quoted $650 otd..Leaning towards the revos because of the price diff....Are the destinations worth $40 more?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts