Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking to by some emergency gear anyone have some gear i can check out like breaker bars and floor jacks that would be good for my frontier and fits?

Thanks Guys Jake

·
Registered
17 Posts
All depends on where you want to store it. I have an Aluminum jack in a a mount locked in the bed and my tools are stored in my ammo can. All locked of course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where to buy

Hey can you tell me which one you bought and also if you have a breaker bar and where you bought that . I have the factory wheels and lugs.

Thanks. Jake ( sick truck also)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The jacks they sell are worth it. I bought mine over 10 years ago and it's still going strong even stored in my bed. It will rust on the bolts, but all I do is wire brush them and spray with clear when they start looking to rusty. I store the jack handle behind my bench seat with bungy cords.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A decent bottle jack can be picked up for 30ish bucks. One of those and a 1 foot section of 4x4 will get anything on our trucks off the ground. Also pick up a bottle of hydraulic jack fluid. They're like 2$.

As far as breaker bar, I have a 2ft bar from advance auto or one of those stores, idk. its a 3/4' drive and seems to be a decent quality. Hasn't broken yet. I think I paid like $25 for it.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I use a Humvee jack mounted in the bed of the truck.I modified the jack so I can use an electric impact that is strapped down in the cab.
The tools are kept at the rear of the truck in an ABS tube.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Tool storage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Impact.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Strapped down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Thanks,Prenissan.Nice of you to say.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You may want to check out the Garage Journal forums for tool recommendations. I check out that site when I'm looking into tools.

They have a thread about decent items from Harbor Freight:
Harbor Freight all-stars - The Garage Journal Board

And their breaker bars are listed on there.

I took a look at them the other day. They have two types. Some that are made in China for about $10 and I think range in 3/8 and 1/2" drives. And a 1/2" drive 25 inch one made in Taiwan for about $20. Just based off of look and design, the one made in Taiwan looks kind of like the Gear Wrench one, with the comfort grip added. And I just noticed that the Gear Wrench one doesn't have any identification on it. So who knows if they're the same or not. And the 25" one also says it has a lifetime warranty. Didn't check the other ones.

My local Harbor Freight looks like it's gearing up for it's sidewalk sale on the weekend of October 14th. And they have a stack of jacks saying they're discontinued. I noticed that they have a newer looking jack in their ads so maybe they're replacing the old ones. But I don't think that the ones being replaced are the ones that people typically talk about or recommend.

Here is the link for the breaker bar mentioned:
1/2 in. Drive 25 in. Professional Breaker Bar

If it's not some kind of special price, remember that you can use the 20% off coupon on it and also use the coupon to pick up a smaller free item too.

For jacks, it looks like people have good things to say about the Arcan jacks from Costco, forget which boards, I think this board was one of them. It sounds like they were mostly referring to the XL35, which Costco doesn't sell anymore but it's still at Northern Tools. Costco sells another version that doesn't have as much lift height as the previous one and is a bit lighter:
3 Ton Professional Grade Aluminum And Steel Service Jack

I was kind of concerned if it would lift my Frontier high enough and had the capacity to do so. The previous version people talked about has a 21" inch lift and is about 80 lbs I think. But it seems like it does the job okay.

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
I use a Humvee jack mounted in the bed of the truck.I modified the jack so I can use an electric impact that is strapped down in the cab.
The tools are kept at the rear of the truck in an ABS tube.
H1? H2? is it beefier than the OEM Nissan one?

Tool storage.
What tools and what size tube is that?

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
H1. The H1 Hummer weighs almost twice as much as a Frontier. It also is mounted on a steel plate from the factory. Changed a tire during the 1000(wheel failure, not the Toyo tire) worked fine.Only problem was the mount I made. Made it too tight fitting,was hard to remove and replace do to all the dirt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Just the tools needed to change the tire.
Universal
Impact socket for lugs nuts
Impact socket for modified jack
Breaker bar
Extensions
Large screwdriver
4" tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Block of wood; have seen stock jacks not going high enough. Especially when folks go larger with tires or wheels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I needed all this stuff on Monday. Whatever the little trick is to get that T bar through the little hole and into the receiver to crank down the spare I didn't figure it out... finally got the spare down and that stock jack and little bars to crank with are the worst.... Nice start to the week!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts