Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sa lately my truck has developed a break squeal around mid pedal range when slowing down from speeds above 40mph. It does not do it at the top nor the bottom of the pedal and it does not do it below 40mph.

I had the truck serviced recently and i know i am due for a break fluid flush but do not think that would be the cause. about 8k miles ago my pads were in good condition and in my last service about a month ago they were not checked.

could they have worn out that quick in 8k miles? i have not been breaking the truck any harder than before.

What do you guys think? Time for new pads? What is the usual life spam of them??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I have a 1998 Frontier I changed front brake pads at 153K, installed Wagner ThermoQuiet. I'm at 211K now. Rears on that are brake shoes.

Daughter has 1998 Pathfinder 4 years now (maybe 5); didn't know how long front pads were on that when she bought it, but just installed Wagner OEX on that a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had to change break pads in my audi at 10k miles because its a have monster but my truck should not be that way. I do run 33's but i feel like they would last a little longer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not so much an opinon but an obsveration, but I changed my pads and front rotors on my 2013 CC SV and when I did the brake pads looked like they had very little wear. I swapped on one of the performance kits that has cross drilled and slotted rotors because I had done something that caused the drivers side rotor to have some slight warpage in it (long story about a flood zone and accidentally ramping into water) but I think I did that all around 55,000 miles but if it had not been for the warped rotor I do believe my brakes would have been good easily beyond 100,000 miles at the rate of wear there were on the pads and rotors. In face, I actually took the rotors and put them in a spare parts box because you never know what can happen while driving and I think I could have it turned and throw another set of EBC brake pads on and get a full life out of both.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
At 75K my front pads are ready to be changed out
What you are hearing (most likely) is the wear indicator squeal tabs. They are set to start making noise at just past 1/2 the pad life. If you take a look now it will still seem that your pads have plenty of life left in them. So yes it could have looked fine 8k ago and now making noise.

I have been driving with my indicators going off for the last 1000 miles or so. Just have not gotten around to changing them out.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
So my indicators might have been going off for longer. On Sunday I did my front brakes. I would say I have a few mm's of pad life left at most. Ikkks.
There was a pretty deep groove worn into the pad as well. That was the thinnest spot. Put in new rotors while I was there. Boy do my breaks feel nice. Went all pit crew on it and spent 1 hour per side.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts