Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does "avoid driving for long periods at constant speed" mean.. like what does Nissan mean by a "long period"? Is that 30 minutes? 10 hours?

I am going on vacation next week (NW of Baltimore to Ocean City MD)... several highway hops for 45-90 minutes and the rest varying speeds. Is this considered too "constant"?

I'd really like to take the truck on this trip but don't want to do what the manual says to avoid during the first 1200 miles. She has 220 miles on her right now.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride! I would avoid cruise control at all cost during this period, not that many can use them these days with all the cell phone jabbering folks going 20mph under the speed-limit in the fast lane. :(

You should be good to go on your trip as long as you vary your speeds while driving.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I agree with volcano. Just stay off cruise control. Try to very you speed a little, maybe play with the gas a tiny bit. You'll be fine on a smaller trip like that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the dealer told me, and i specifically asked about it, that even small variations in speed are ok. and that 30 minutes was a good time window. as in - if you're going 60 for 30 minutes, then back down or speed up to 65 or something for the next 30 minutes. in any type of normal highway traffic, i think you'll be fine. there was no information i could find to conflict with this.

i also asked how he knew that people test driving didn't violate any of the break in procedures. his answer was less specific, but came down to the cars they sell aren't the ones that get test driven. they have demo vehicles for that.

this is a topic where there does seem to be a fair amount of conflicting information and i'm not sure there is any definitive break-in method. avoid the cruise control seems smart though. and avoid redlining the engine regularly. even how important this is i'm not so sure about though. i had a nissan tech claim that they have to test certain aspects before releasing the car. some of them violate the break in procedures. my feeling is that this is a cya by nissan more than anything else.

i did come across some info on the automatic transmission somehow learning/adjusting to driving style that i'd like to know more about though.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Yeah I will just make sure not to hold a steady speed and avoid the cruise.

I have been keeping it under 2000 RPMs... very easy to do with the 4.0, damn that thing is torquey.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree with vary your speed and not using cruise. Other than that I think just drive it like you normally would any vehicle...don't get too paranoid with an overly elaborate break-in ritual. It'll be fine!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I've been a mechanic for 12 years. We tell our customers the same thing after a complete motor rebuild. The reasioning behind the changing your speed is do to the cross hatching on the cylinder wall. With out getting to technical, if you did 1 rpm for too long on a fresh motor, it would/could smoke later in it's life, on decceleration. You really would have to stay at 1 rpm for hours to make it happen. If you take the advice of what the other guys said, you'll be just fine'

have a good trip!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have been keeping it under 2000 RPMs...
This comment suggests you're being overly cautious. 2000 rpm is not much over fast idle. Just drive the thing respectfully and vary the speed for a few hundred miles. It's not rocket science!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I will drive and have fun, and just make sure not to keep it at a consistent speed.

I'll send greetings from the beach!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I say it's all hogwash...it's a way for manufacturer's to put limits on a vehicle from the get-go, so that A) you learn to drive the vehicle slowly, and B) they get more miles on the clock before it gets driven "normally"...meaning they have less of their warranty to uphold.

From day 1, I drive the vehicle how I intend to drive it. At 1200 miles, I drain out the OE oil and put in my preferred oil and filter...and go from there. I also don't do "3K or 3mo oil changes...that's BS too!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've been a mechanic for 12 years. We tell our customers the same thing after a complete motor rebuild. The reasioning behind the changing your speed is do to the cross hatching on the cylinder wall. With out getting to technical, if you did 1 rpm for too long on a fresh motor, it would/could smoke later in it's life, on decceleration. You really would have to stay at 1 rpm for hours to make it happen. If you take the advice of what the other guys said, you'll be just fine'

have a good trip!
Cross hatching on the cylinders is for honing the rings to the cylinder walls...and having your engine run at 3K RPM for 10 hours straight, won't do anything different than revving your engine from idle to 5K for 10 hours straight.

The cross hatching wears down due to the piston moving across it (rings, specifically) within the cylinder...it neither "knows" nor "cares" how fast the piston moving those rings through the cylinder at any given moment...therefore, for any length of time...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thats good info, Im curious though. Does the transmission have break in proceedures? Im hopein that nissan replaces my transmission this week. If they do so is there anything special to be done or is the break in only for the block?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cross hatching on the cylinders is for honing the rings to the cylinder walls...and having your engine run at 3K RPM for 10 hours straight, won't do anything different than revving your engine from idle to 5K for 10 hours straight.

The cross hatching wears down due to the piston moving across it (rings, specifically) within the cylinder...it neither "knows" nor "cares" how fast the piston moving those rings through the cylinder at any given moment...therefore, for any length of time...
Wrong. You vary the speed to vary the pressures above and below the piston rings, causing them to "flip" so to speak from top to bottom. Breaks them into the cylinder walls and keeps the walls from glazing. If you keep a constant speed, the rings aren't flipping up and down correctly.

I say it's all hogwash...it's a way for manufacturer's to put limits on a vehicle from the get-go, so that A) you learn to drive the vehicle slowly, and B) they get more miles on the clock before it gets driven "normally"...meaning they have less of their warranty to uphold.

From day 1, I drive the vehicle how I intend to drive it. At 1200 miles, I drain out the OE oil and put in my preferred oil and filter...and go from there. I also don't do "3K or 3mo oil changes...that's BS too!
this post ^^^ should be completely ignored.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts