Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a new 2010 Pro-4 with a 6-speed. I will be driving 600 miles straight from the PA dealer to my new house in Tn. I plan to vary the load and engine speed but i'm concerned with proper break-in. What is the general opinion on break-in procedures? I'm also thinking about changing the engine oil at about 1000mi and then starting the 3750mi maintenance plan. Would it be a waste to change all the driveline oils at about 5k? I hope to drive this truck for years until the body falls off.
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been told that you do not take a brand new truck on the highway before it has been driven 50 miles on the road. Then you dont go over 60 mph for the first 100 miles I believe was the number. Good luck enjoy the truck. I am buying a 10 pro-4x CC with moonroof in a couple weeks they are really nice trucks.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Break-in routines are overrated. Just get in and drive it. You'll never think about it again.

I drove my truck straight home and dropped the factory engine oil for synthetic, and went straight into my 10,000km intervals.

My point is, everyone does something different, and they all work just fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My point is, everyone does something different, and they all work just fine.
True. There is so many opinions out there and no one really proved any of them that I don't know what should I follow.

So I'm just driving. @300miles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Unless you are the first one to put the key in it and drive it from the assembly lot to the truck, to the dealer lot - there is no way of truly knowing how the first miles were done anyway. Most people test driving vehicles are not going to baby them, meaning those few miles that are on the truck when you toke possession probably already were kind-of hard miles. Just drive it.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
... I will be driving 600 miles straight from the PA dealer to my new house in Tn. ...
Yep, everyone's got their own thoughts on engine break-in. We always seem to buy our vehicles from distant Dealerships, but have never had 600 Miles to cover! <g>

My wife and I break out a road atlas and plan our route, including local roads as much as possible so as to keep speeds lower and vary engine RPMs. With 600 Miles, you probably don't have the time to travel local roads exclusively, but I'd exit the Interstate where it makes sense, enjoy some slower-paced break-in miles, re-enter the Interstate for a while, then repeat.

Enjoy your ride. I have the 6-Speed stick and love it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why not just follow the owner's manual? If you try and do everything you'll read here you'll be very frustrated. I've read posts that encourage going easy for 30 minutes but after that it makes no difference. I've read that engine rpm's don't matter (even tho the manual clearly states to not go over 4000 rpms for the first 1200 miles), it's the ring gear in the rear end that needs differing speeds so you don't get a "hum" at any one speed. I've read that with newer, better engines and oils, break in is largely unimportant. Etc, etc.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Drive it like normal just dont romp the pedal is what I say.

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
they rev the **** out of the motor at the factory.
there are some break in periods on some motors.

but the best break in you can do is drive it like you would no matter what. you wanna romp, romp.

·
Registered
584 Posts
True. There is so many opinions out there and no one really proved any of them that I don't know what should I follow.

So I'm just driving. @300miles.
Every new car here comes through the rail yard, and they all hire kids to pick them up there and drive them from there to the dealership. Those kids probably hit the rev limiter in every gear when they drive the vehicles back. My truck is fine.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
at the factory in japan when the ninjas are done building the gtr motors they spend 44 mins going through the rpms including 10 mins strait of redline. i wouldn't recommend 10 mins of redline in your frontier but you can just get in it and drive it like you want the major part of real break in is already done by the time you get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
oil changes

it would never hurt doing that. I just bought a used 09 and @ 60,000 I'm changing all the oils. Don't know how it was treated.:comphead:

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you feel better changing your drivetrain fluids at 5k initially, by all means do it. For the little bit of money, if that gives you piece of mind do it. As for oil changes, I feel it's a waste at anything less than 5k miles. Run a GOOD synthetic oil, Amsoil for example ;), and change it as directed. You'll be fine. I run Amsoil Signature Series and change every 10k miles. No worries.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
you two do understand that you're replying to a post that is almost 2 years old, right?

·
Registered
757 Posts
HAHA. Yea this threw me off...a brand new 2010??

Just in case others do the same thing we did...you can see my maintenance post. Nissan did NOT fill my front differential all the way at the factory. At least check the fluids and do not wait until almost 26k miles into ownership to do it.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Ninjas make GTR's ? :thefinger:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've had may new vehicles, three of them new Frontier in fact and have driven them all like an ******* from day one with no problems. I say hammer it until something breaks, then get it fixed under warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts