Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Yes, I'm new, so sorry if this was discussed before. I tried a search on the topic but mainly found references to a more gradual situation than I am in. I am (was, kinda am, not sure at the moment) a proud owner of a brand new 2016 CC SV 4x4. I bought it 2 weeks and 1 day ago and I have had no issues or complaints. I went to my nephew's soccer game tonight and had to park in a tiny school parking lot. I'm still getting used to the wheelbase on my truck vs my old elantra and had some trouble turning into a spot. I had to turn the steering wheel, very briefly, to full lock to the right to try to turn into a space, rolled like 5 ft. I realized I wasn't going to fit, so I backed up a few feet and straightened her out a bit. But when I went to pull in, it felt like I had no power steering and it was really difficult to turn the wheel. No noises, no popping, not anything but a heavy steering wheel.

Anyways, I was running late, so I just put it in park and walked over to the game. An hour later, after the game, I came back and there was what looked like an EXPLOSION of power steering fluid under my truck. I popped the hood and the reservoir was bone dry. Luckily, I was only 3 miles from the dealership and it's only like 4 turns so I was able to get it there with manual steering. It's staying the night (at least) and they gave me a loaner.

I've owned the truck for 2 weeks, garage kept, no off-roading, no crazy driving, it has 434 miles on it and I can only assume either a hose clamp popped loose or the pump sprang an immense leak. The whole system drained. Anyone have any inference as to what could have happened? The entire underside of the front differential/radiator skid was covered in power steering fluid. It was still dripping at the dealership. Thanks for any insight.

·
Super Moderator
10,418 Posts
I had a huge leak like once and it was a bad steering rack. It's under warranty so don't sweat it. Make sure they clean the undercarriage to your satisfaction.

Clint

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you mentioned the rack, I thought about it and that's right where it was leaking. Front more on the driver's side. I didn't get a great look at it since I was in a hurry to get it in before the shop closed. Hopefully they can get it fixed pretty quickly. I've got an out of state wedding to go to this weekend and they already told me I can't take the loaner out of state. Might be missing the wedding.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I've got an out of state wedding to go to this weekend and they already told me I can't take the loaner out of state.
"No problem - Just comp me for a rental car that CAN be taken out of the state - Something big, with a nice ride, and leather."

"Note that I'm trying to be reasonable here - I could have asked you to comp me for a chartered jet..." ::grin::

·
Super Moderator
10,418 Posts
Rental/loaner cars can go out of state but not to Mexico.

Clint

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, on the loaner agreement I signed and I followed up and asked about it, they said I can't take the loaner out of state. But I did say, "Well, I have to go so what can you do for me?" They said if the truck isn't going to be out of the shop by Friday they'll figure something out for me. I'm in Oklahoma and the wedding is in Kansas, about a 4 hour drive. Presumably they were referring to a rental. Anyways, I'm more eager just to find out what the problem is. I can't believe that went out so early on. Maybe their QA in Canton, MS isn't too great. I'm lucky I wasn't on the highway when that happened.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
When you turn the steering wheel full lock and hold it against the stops, you build up large amounts of pressure. There should be a relief valve or bypass of some kind. You can normally hear the pump change sound. You built up enough pressure to blow a hose. It shouldn't have happened, but, a weak hose or clamp or faulty bypass valve and you got what you have here.

What you should do when you need to turn sharp like this is turn the wheel to full stop and then turn the wheel back just enough so the pump quits making noise. This is true for all vehicles with power steering.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you turn the steering wheel full lock and hold it against the stops, you build up large amounts of pressure. There should be a relief valve or bypass of some kind. You can normally hear the pump change sound. You built up enough pressure to blow a hose. It shouldn't have happened, but, a weak hose or clamp or faulty bypass valve and you got what you have here.

What you should do when you need to turn sharp like this is turn the wheel to full stop and then turn the wheel back just enough so the pump quits making noise. This is true for all vehicles with power steering.
Well, I'm familiar with what you are describing. I've tried in every vehicle I've owned to not make turns with the wheel all the way for the exact reason you described. This is my 5th vehicle and I've actually never had a power steering problem EVER. I only had the wheel at full lock for a brief moment. When the wheel came to full lock and I realized I wasn't going to make the turn, I stopped and backed up to adjust. Also, the vehicle was barely rolling, it wasn't any kind of high speed maneuver. The weird thing is there was no noise, no change other than a heavy steering wheel, and also a hemorrhaging of power steering fluid all over the parking lot.

The tech at the shop tried to insinuate that I was abusing the car and was offroading and that's why the power steering went out. I was stabbing him with imaginary daggers. I was livid! I've babied the crap out of it and my wife has accused me of driving miss daisy. lol. I'm gonna call this afternoon if I don't hear anything and attempt to find out what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
10,418 Posts
After he said that I'd DEMAND the service director and let him know what his moronic tech accused a customer of and that the spotless truck has just over 400 miles. I'd make another demand that this d*ck apologize for even implying it.
If he was a real MECHANIC he'd realize is was a component failure and nothing else.

Clint

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I glared at him and told him he can feel free to grab a flashlight and crawl under the truck and I dared him to find a single speck of dirt under it. He just laughed and said he was only joking.

It was one of the service advisers who said that when I was checking the truck in.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
After he said that I'd DEMAND the service director and let him know what his moronic tech accused a customer of and that the spotless truck has just over 400 miles. I'd make another demand that this d*ck apologize for even implying it.
If he was a real MECHANIC he'd realize is was a component failure and nothing else.

Clint
This...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Well, I glared at him and told him he can feel free to grab a flashlight and crawl under the truck and I dared him to find a single speck of dirt under it. He just laughed and said he was only joking.

It was one of the service advisers who said that when I was checking the truck in.
He also has a boss! Just keep climbing the ladder!
Good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've got an update:
The dealership calls me right after I leave work and they say it's all fixed. They said there is a retaining clip that is attached to the hose clamp that was installed at the factory that was supposed to have been removed but wasn't. He said the retaining clip helps them install the hose clamps but is supposed to be removed so that the clamp can fully seat. He said that's what caused my hose to pop off the rack and leak.

I show up to the dealership, return the keys for my loaner and ask the service adviser if they cleaned the under side of my truck. He said " I don't think so, but remind me when you come in for your first oil change and we'll give you a full detail for free." Fair enough. So I walk over to the truck and just for grins, I get down and look under the front of my truck where it was leaking. I see a puddle of power steering fluid, the entire front suspension, from wheel to wheel, is covered in power steering fluid and it's dripping. I calmly walk over to the adviser and ask him to take a look. He said " yeah, that doesn't look right to me" and walked over and gave me the keys back for the loaner. He apologized and said they'd look at it first thing in the morning.

So obviously I'm livid at this point. I kept my composure and got in the loaner and drove home. I called my salesman (who I have a really good relationship with) and explained to him the situation and explained I am questioning the quality of service I've received and feeling some regret for even purchasing the truck at this point. He, of course, was very apologetic and assured me he'd follow up with the service manager and his manager to make sure the problem is identified and corrected promptly. A side note: my dad had been talking to my salesman about buying a decked out new Titan and I mentioned I had been discussing my issues with my dad as well. Hope that lights a fire somewhere.

Anyways, we're day two with no truck, still in a loaner. They apparently have no idea what's wrong with my truck since they didn't fix it the first time. We'll see what tomorrow brings and I'll update you.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
There really isn't that much to the power steering system and it's a system that's been used for decades; it's a shame that a dealer doesn't have a competent tech to fix it and make sure it's fixed when he's done!

·
Super Moderator
10,418 Posts
How stupid and lazy can they be, it's far easier to clean the steering fluid off the under carriage of the truck while it's still wet and hasn't picked up every speck of road grime out there. Why would they want to do it once it's dry and next to impossible to make a look like it never happened in the first place.
The other thing you have to make sure is that since you ran out of fluid and you drove it to the dealer in this condition that the steering pump isn't damaged. Best of luck in getting this happily resolved.

Clint

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So get this. My shop opens at 7am. They said they'd look at it first thing in the morning. I waited until a few minutes ago, 1 pm, to call and check on my truck. The service adviser said they checked all of the connections and inspected the steering rack again and did not find any new leaks. He said what we saw under the truck was "residual" power steering fluid from servicing and refilling the system that was dripping from underneath the vehicle. He said the vehicle was taken care of this morning and is ready for pickup whenever.

Jee whiz, thanks for calling and letting me know...

I don't know that I fully trust them, but I'll monitor the issue and wait and see what happens. Looks like I'll be getting my truck back today.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Clint said:
How stupid and lazy can they be, it's far easier to clean the steering fluid off the under carriage of the truck while it's still wet

he service adviser said they checked all of the connections and inspected the steering rack again and did not find any new leaks. He said what we saw under the truck was "residual" power steering fluid from servicing and refilling the system that was dripping from underneath the vehicle.
OK, I used to work on old VWs in the 1970s in college. I do almost all my own vehicle work, have never had anything done at a Nissan dealer. However, I do not understand how ANYONE could check to ensure a leak was fixed after a repair if one doesn't wipe up the already-leaked fluid ????

Jee whiz, thanks for calling and letting me know...
I don't know that I fully trust them
Welcome to 2016 level competence.

·
Super Moderator
10,418 Posts
Do not accept it if it's not clean as when new.
Anywhere you go especially your own driveway doesn't need oil spots all over it.

Clint

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, it was nice and clean when I picked it up last night. They didn't clean the whole car, but at least the front end and under carriage. He said the fluid had pooled on the frame rails and skid plate and just about everywhere else. He said that's why it looked like there was a leak because the fluid was sloshing around. So I said "it was fixed the first time, but because your techs didn't clean it when they were done is why we thought it was still leaking and I had to take a loaner for another day?" he said "basically, yeah". He didn't offer any apology or any other words other than he handed me the keys and said "have a nice day".

So far so good though. The steering actually feels a lot more free and easy compared to even after I bought it. Thus, I think it confirms the diagnosis that this was a problem from day 1. It gives his explanation of the problem a little more credit. The first night it was in the shop, I did find a few new stains on my garage floor where the front of the truck sits, soaked into the concrete. Not much but a few specks that could have been ps fluid. So basically, it was an assembly issue, as it would appear. I just hope he's right. All is well that ends well I suppose.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Best of luck. Let us know if you have any other issues with the steering.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts