Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2021 SV 4x4 a couple of weeks ago. Already I am having issues with it that the dealer can not solve. I purchased this truck thinking it had a long track record of reliability and few issues...

Right now when the steering wheel is straight out it has a pretty substantial drift to the right.

I took it to my local dealer last week and after spending the day with it they had no solutions for me. They verified the alignment is spot on. The steering components are nice and snug and my tire pressure is good all around.

They gave me back the truck and said they are reaching out to the Nissan engineer team to figure out a fix.

Has anyone else run into this on the 2021? I know it has the new 3.8L V8 with the direct 9-speed transmission. It would seem strange to me that this new powertrain would cause this issue but I don't see it being a problem on any of the other second-gen Frontiers.

Seems like they are trying this out before launching the new body style with the same powertrain in 2022.

·
Registered
2020 SV Crew
71 Posts
My 2020 doesn't pull but it requires constant correction at hwy speeds because it drifts. The experts here on the forum say that they need the adjustable camber bolt kit and some positive caster added in. I'll get around to it but, yes, it is really annoying to buy a new truck and immediately have to jump through hoops to get it right. After 15 years, you'd think Nissan could have fixed this on the assembly line.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Right now when the steering wheel is straight out it has a pretty substantial drift to the right.
...my local dealer ... verified the alignment is spot on.
A bad tire will cause that. An occasional tire will not roll straight.
Rotate fronts to rear, do one side and test drive, then do the other side. If the problem stops, that last tire moved to the rear is the problem.
You also need a new dealer. Any alignment tech who doesn't know this should be working in a car wash.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same for me. I have to constantly hold the steering wheel to the left to go straight. I have had it in for an alignment as well. I just got use to it at this point. But I agree its BS for a new truck. I have the 2021 Midnight.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
A bad tire will cause that. An occasional tire will not roll straight.
Rotate fronts to rear, do one side and test drive, then do the other side. If the problem stops, that last tire moved to the rear is the problem.
You also need a new dealer. Any alignment tech who doesn't know this should be working in a car wash.
The truck as delivered may be in rough specs but without the cam bolts it won’t be exactly where it should be.
An owner can take it to a good tire shop and ask them to check it out and see the exact numbers.
Clint

·
Registered
83 Posts
Take it to an alignment shop. See what they have to say. It costs money sure, but if they can fix it it's cheap. Then you take that info to the dealership and make them pay for it and your time.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
Take it to an alignment shop. See what they have to say. It costs money sure, but if they can fix it it's cheap. Then you take that info to the dealership and make them pay for it and your time.
Correct, if they sent you away and said all is well, oh well.

Clint

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
840 Posts
I am curious as to what tires you all are running(those who are having issues)? If you all are having the same issue and happen to have the same tires then maybe Nissan got supplied a bad batch?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
A new vehicle should track true with no aftermarket adjustment hardware needed. A new engine and transmission should not affect tracking.

The truck will not fix itself so if you keep pressuring the dealer, there will be a Lemon Law opportunity for you to harvest. Keep your receipts. Not surprisingly, Nissan will pony up genuine engineering resouces to prevent a Lemon Law loss.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
199 Posts
Alignment. The toe is off. An alignment can be within spec while the wheel isn't pointed straight while they have it on the rack. Ask them to check it again and request that you see how straight the steering wheel is pointed before they check the specs.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I found a TSB that goes all the way back from 2012-2020. And after hearing you guys opinions as well I think I am going to call consumer affairs in the morning and file a complaint. Ive already taken mine to the dealer and I have a similar steering issue. If I go dead straight, I have to told the steering wheel to the left about 5-10degrees to hold straight. If I let go, it will drift pretty sporadically to the right. Nissan even tried to feed me the "Road Crown" BS which I tried explaining to them that my wifes rogue or my WRX doesnt have this issue even if there is "road crown". Anyways heres the TSB. I will likely also go to another dealer. Already had the free alignment once.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a 2019 Pro-4x and now have a 2020 with no issues with either one. I can say, once I added the Shrockworks plates, it rides better with the extra weight down low.

My understanding of the lemon law is to take it to the dealer 3 times for the same problem with no remedy then they have to buy it back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure of the best way to resolve, RE: lemon law, indy alignment shop, etc. —— but I will add my 2 cents:

No way any of you with new trucks should tolerate this. My 2011 that came to me with 115,000 miles and worn out shocks and blown tie rode ends tracked perfectly fine, and after repairs, holds a line like new, with great steering feel. Your issues are not normal, get it fixed - you’ll be much happier.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I'm no alignment expert, but if having to manually hold the steering wheel to make the truck go straight 100% of the time - 'seems' like this would contribute to premature tire wear. I'd be looking for the dealership to install the camber bolts then aligned again by someone competent, if not the dealer, then w/ someone w/ 4x4 truck alignment experience.

Tires are expensive compared to alignment issue fixes...assuming it can be fixed. When under warranty, then is Nissan willing to pony up for new tires if the originals are unevenly worn...assuming this is a reality?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
For sure, why risk screwing up expensive tires, go to a local shop who specializes in frame axle alignment and pony up the 75 bucks to get a quality job done to the spec you want, not just in "spec", Then deal with your Dealer afterwards. If you want to save a few bucks install the camming bolts yourself. Chances are your Dealer doesn't currently have anyone who knows about alignment and will work for 15 bucks an hour, a competent mechanic is hard to find at that price

1 - 20 of 131 Posts