Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
So i'm used to drive an acura before this and the brakes were always on the dot, very precise and the pedal was very sensitive.... while on the fronty, the pedal seems a bit more squishy, but the truck still stops fine.

Is this normal for a truck, or should i take off the wheels tommorow and check my pads?

and yes... i read the brake pedal play thread, but the other thread about how someones pads wore out on one side without squealing kinda freaks me out :/

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
different cars have different feels. yours is an '06, so it wouldn't hurt to pull of the tires and have a looksie.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did notice this when I test drove before I bought another one, I seems kinda bad at first, but you get used to it, and I think it is just normal. I have no problems stopping, Had an ABS stop (insert Colorful language for stupid drivers here) Saturday, Worked great....

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
yeah, i noticed that too but it is normal. you could also adjust the brake cable at the brake pedal to shorten up the play. i also had an ABS stop yesterday (friggen chrysler lebarons)

·
Registered
335 Posts
For all of you that live in mountain areas you are probably use to this, but I was in the Smokey mountains last week and after being on top of the mountain and heading to a valley the trucks brakes were very soft and fading!
I was going faster than I should have, and if I had a MT it would have been a lot better. Im not complaining, but I couldnt believe how quickly they faded.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
different cars have different feels. yours is an '06, so it wouldn't hurt to pull of the tires and have a looksie.
+1
I went to Hawk front pads @ 15k mi. and I like the grabbiness; I think the stock pads are ceramics(for towing?).

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Have you tried stainless lines and a higher temp fluid like Motul RBF600? That should help with the squishiness!

Scott
^I have Goodridge SS lines @ 4 corners and DOT 4 synthetic; same feel.. The pads are what woke up my "panic" stops.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
just wait till your doing high speed and the pads get hot. say hello to NO brakes. that will be my next upgrade. almost took out a grass cutting businesses truck, trailer and grass cutters the other day.

For all of you that live in mountain areas you are probably use to this, but I was in the Smokey mountains last week and after being on top of the mountain and heading to a valley the trucks brakes were very soft and fading!
I was going faster than I should have, and if I had a MT it would have been a lot better. Im not complaining, but I couldnt believe how quickly they faded.
you know you can down shift an auto just like a manual, right?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
i have ss lines up front and they are still somewhat squishy. they also fade slightly if i press the brake pedal alllll the way down.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i have some hawk hps pads on the bimmer and they are tits.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
tits are awesome. therefore, tits = awesome. now, use it in a statement; "hawk brake pads are tits."

·
Registered
28 Posts
I drive a 2400 vertical foot 10% grade to and from work everyday and Ive been pretty happy with the braking performance of our trucks. Ive got the manual transmission and know the road and my truck very well, so that really does help, but the brakes always bring the truck under control if need be. I have noticed little fade; however, if you ride any brake long enough, it will fade.

That being said, I have noticed less than confidence inspiring pedal feel. There seems to be a slight moment of uncertainty when you first press the pedal. Ive become used to it but my girlfriend notices it to when she gets behind the wheel as well.

Despite the previous post, I dont see how better pads, fluid, and ss lines wouldnt help or comepletly solve this problem.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
better pads are typically softer, and grab harder. a high performance fluid will keep its consistency despite high heat, and stainless steel lines don't expand as much as the rubber lines that come from the factory.

all of the above mods would help to minimize a "soft" peddal feel. the pads would help with the grip/fade, and drilled/slotted rotors would help with fade.

·
Registered
111 Posts
yeah, i noticed that too but it is normal. you could also adjust the brake cable at the brake pedal to shorten up the play. i also had an ABS stop yesterday (friggen chrysler lebarons)
chrysler lebaron.... ewwwwwwwwww gross... those still exist..

yuck.

i saw a "K" car the other day... i threw up in my mouth a little..

·
Registered
111 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts