Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The brakes on my Frontier have been fair at best since I bought it a year ago. What aftermarket products have improved your Fronty's braking? Better pads? Stainless steel brake lines?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Slotted/dimpled Rotors (EBC or R!concepts)
SS Brake Lines
Ceramic Pads (EBC Green/Yellow)

Stillen sells a BBK but it is overly expensive and requires new rims I believe.

Lastly thou you could do a Titan brake swap. It will require titans spindle assemblys and then either a Titan rear axle (it will be too wide thou) or a custom hybrid Frontier m226 with Titan m226 parts combined.

I am sure if you do a search you will find a lot of posts on this same topic and will probably answer most of your questions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did indeed complete a search before generating this thread. I found the rotors, green pads and SS lines seem to be what many people quote. I didn't find what I could identify as first hand experience with rotors, green pads and/or SS lines. Perhaps I missed it. Have you done these upgrades?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
On my first gen I upgraded to the performance pads that advanced auto has and my brakes are much better than prior. I would just gets pads then if you want more rotors then SS lines because you have to bleed the brakes then.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I am currently just under 43k on my 07 and I am thinking about doing brakes areound the 45-50k mark since they are fine as of now.

I was leaning towards the R1s with slots (others have had great experiences with these) but I may go with the EBC rotors with the slots and dimples (mainly for the looks). Then either the Green or Yellow pads ( I have to finish doing my research on these) and then the SS lines. I will also use my Motive Power Bleeder to bleed/flush the brakes with some new Valvoline syn fluid. I would go with the motul blue racing fluid but the price isn't worth it for my application since I bleed/flush once a year anyway since it take a couple of hours total and only costs less then 20 bucks worth of fluid and cleaning supplies.

Side Note: While you are at it changing the pads/rotors and lines, may as well paint your calipers to give them a little pop. Most go with red but depending on your tastes, you may want to choose another color but beware most auto parts places only carry red or blue or gold/bronze or black. I believe it is G2 that makes other colors to be used but more then likely need to be ordered online.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am in the middle of picking up some rotors, pads and lines.
I was going to go with the

Power Stop Cross Drilled Rotors
EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads
PRG Braided Stainless Front Brake Lines

What do you guys think??

·
Registered
354 Posts
Why is everybody so enamored with EBC Green Stuff pads?

When I was researching them years ago for my Integra auto-x and track day car, the dealers that were selling them told me they wouldn't last a month on a street only Integra.

I wouldn't dare put something like that on a 4,000+ lbs. truck that I'm going to daily drive and tow with.

Also, stainless steel brake lines will not affect your braking performance, only the pedal feel.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
^^^ We all do agree that there are better pads out there but most are not made for our applications. You are either stuck with the autozone pads or ......... EBC.

SS lines are also nice and will affect your braking performance. Their main purpose is to eliminate the baloon effect of rubber hoses when applying the brakes. The performance gains will be small but they can not be ignored. You are still applying the same force at the end but that force will be there quicker since the lines will not absorb some of it due to the baloon effect.

·
Registered
246 Posts
After looking online I am going to go with the SS Goodridge 4" extended brake lines. I have the Calmini 5' lift so im thinking these will work for me. They have them at autoanything for $127.95 plus 10% off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go with EBC yellow stuff brake pads in the front and EBC green tuff (pathfinder brake pad size) in the rear. ie, the pathy rear pad is about 9% bigger and fits into the fronty brake holder for an increase in brake swept area in the rear.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Why is everybody so enamored with EBC Green Stuff pads?

When I was researching them years ago for my Integra auto-x and track day car, the dealers that were selling them told me they wouldn't last a month on a street only Integra.

I wouldn't dare put something like that on a 4,000+ lbs. truck that I'm going to daily drive and tow with.

Also, stainless steel brake lines will not affect your braking performance, only the pedal feel.
I got 30k on my green stuff ebc pads in front, rear still on at 40k. I changed to ebc suv green stuff in front now which are an upgrade over the standard green. I wish they made Red stuff to fit cause Ive always used/use these on other cars and love them. I cross drilled my own rotors, and run braided lines front and rear. I think this is about the best you can get for us. And would really like to upgrade to larger APC kit to stop me at 5500#, and 300+ wheel HP. But I have other things to spend $1700 on....like the new Torin 56" top and bottom tool baoxes I bought for the garage today..Needed to get oganized and the smaller boxes i have are too packed...to bad the new are full now too.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Go with EBC yellow stuff brake pads in the front and EBC green tuff (pathfinder brake pad size) in the rear. ie, the pathy rear pad is about 9% bigger and fits into the fronty brake holder for an increase in brake swept area in the rear.
Can anyone else confirm this? This would be a nice thing to do when I change my rotors and pads.

·
Registered
521 Posts
ive got EBC 6000 green stuffs up front, goodrige braided lines up front and earls braided lines out back...love the setup so far, great improvement over stock

·
Registered
397 Posts
I ran the EBC green pads on the front of my explorer and they were a big improvement, and they do last.

Dan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone run the OEM rotors and brake pads with aftermarket stainless steel brake lines?

If you have, what were the results?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Just upgrading to SS lines will gain you almost nothing. Its the rotors and pads that give you the bang for your buck. The SS lines just finish the whole package.

Also, the only person that I think did this has been HKYstormfront and then of course, the lifted crew but the lift adds weight and does not exactly help with the stopping power.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has anybody used EBC redstuff?since everyone's here only used greenstuff.
EBC do make redstuff for frontier.

Also, I'm a bit confused when try to shop for EBC brakepads because it seems that there are 2 types for Frontier & Navara, dont know which one for which.

Anybody knows?I'm looking for Navara with diesel engines

·
Registered
246 Posts
Where is the best place to purchase the SS lines, rotors and pads that we have been talking about????

·
Registered
521 Posts
Has anybody used EBC redstuff?since everyone's here only used greenstuff.
EBC do make redstuff for frontier.

Also, I'm a bit confused when try to shop for EBC brakepads because it seems that there are 2 types for Frontier & Navara, dont know which one for which.

Anybody knows?I'm looking for Navara with diesel engines
They are the same pad.

The part number for the 6000 series is DP61747 (the 7000 series is DP71747).

I have the DP61747 in my Navara :)

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f47/ebc-6000-pads-goodridge-lines-upgrade-43285/

i got them from this seller on ebay (did a few transactions with them and i have only good things to say :) )
eBay My World - kurumamotoring

1 - 20 of 37 Posts