Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I dont know driveline stuff too well and always thought that if you had posi both wheels would spin doing a brake stand?
I have an 05 Nismo 6speed and can only get one wheel to burn. I only did it once to see what would happen and was slightly disappointed :( but oh damn did that one tire light right up!

why do both rears not light up?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
You have locker.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
If you decide to lock it and do the burnout, let us know if your diff explodes.

Also, it may be better for you to purchase a TruTrac instead of your locker so that you can spin them equally.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
If you decide to lock it and do the burnout, let us know if your diff explodes.

Also, it may be better for you to purchase a TruTrac instead of your locker so that you can spin them equally.
I have to agree with him, you lock that thing down and it starts to hop, kiss your diff goodbye. Instead of using the locker for stupid stuff, use it where it was made for... DIRT.. not asphalt or concrete. Tell you what, just go ahead and give me your truck, that way it will save you the headache of repairing it.:nana:

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
put some water down so it will help the tires spin, then once the tires burn off the water, they will light right up.

put up pics of the burnout, and the exploded diff.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm thats funny i dont ever remember mentioning locking it up and doing one... this is not something i do on a regular basis I just wanted to see if they both would spin.
I dont wheel my truck hardcore because I need it to last, it is my daily driver and I have to many other hobbies that take all my money. I use my truck to get to work and to haul my bikes up the mountain.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
"need it to last" and "brake stand" don't exactly go together.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"need it to last" and "brake stand" don't exactly go together.
"Once" and "need to last" do...

I own a truck because I use a truck. Which is probably more than a few of the guys on this site can say, then again alot "use" theirs alot more than I do. I expect some wear and tear, and I also have some fun with it. BUT I do expect it to last. IF Nissan builds a truck that cannot withstand a brakestand... well then they shouldnt be building trucks...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Brakes are meant to stop a vehicle, the gas pedal is meant to propel the vehicle. The design of ANY vehicle is not to apply both brake and gas at the same time as it is COUNTER productive. It might also break things.

I own my truck so I can use it, but I also use my mind because I own it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Brakes are meant to stop a vehicle, the gas pedal is meant to propel the vehicle. The design of ANY vehicle is not to apply both brake and gas at the same time as it is COUNTER productive. It might also break things.

I own my truck so I can use it, but I also use my mind because I own it.
holy ****!! now it all makes sense!!! thanks for clearing that one up for me.:goodjob:
I do have one questions though, why is it counter productive if applying the brake and gas at the same time is what I want to do?? doesnt it then make it productive? I might not be going forward, and I might not be stopping BUT I am doing what I intended to do...

oh did you also know that a truck was designed to carry things??? not climb up mountains/trails, not do 1/4 mile runs, etc, etc
so I guess while we are on this topic lets all bag on guys that do that too... you shouldnt 4x4 unless you own a Jeep, and you shouldnt go 1/4 mile runs unless you own a sports car... WHY THE **** NOT!!! I trail rode my kx, and did the occasional highway ride with my Gsxr... oh and they did brake stands too but thats wrong! :crib:

how about this if i break it, it then becomes my responsibility to fix. As such I will pay for the parts and fix it myself as I have done with just about any moving object that I have owned. I am not an idiot and I understand that. So you drive your truck and let me drive mine.

Either way there is one thing I have learned about this forum and that is people tend to rag on other people for stupid **** that shouldnt even bother them... shoulda known that posting this. Anyways gents hope I didnt offend anyone, wasnt my goal at all.
:comphead:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Let me assist again, as you seem annoyed. Everything went down hill when your responses became sarcastic. Sarcastic statement #1:

hmm thats funny i dont ever remember mentioning locking it up and doing one... this is not something i do on a regular basis I just wanted to see if they both would spin.
I dont wheel my truck hardcore because I need it to last, it is my daily driver and I have to many other hobbies that take all my money. I use my truck to get to work and to haul my bikes up the mountain.
Thanks for the help.
Followed quickly by sarcastic statement #2:

"Once" and "need to last" do...

I own a truck because I use a truck. Which is probably more than a few of the guys on this site can say, then again alot "use" theirs alot more than I do. I expect some wear and tear, and I also have some fun with it. BUT I do expect it to last. IF Nissan builds a truck that cannot withstand a brakestand... well then they shouldnt be building trucks...
Some here treat sarcasm with sarcasm which I did then you came out with sarcastic statement #3:

holy ****!! now it all makes sense!!! thanks for clearing that one up for me.:goodjob:
I do have one questions though, why is it counter productive if applying the brake and gas at the same time is what I want to do?? doesnt it then make it productive? I might not be going forward, and I might not be stopping BUT I am doing what I intended to do...

oh did you also know that a truck was designed to carry things??? not climb up mountains/trails, not do 1/4 mile runs, etc, etc
so I guess while we are on this topic lets all bag on guys that do that too... you shouldnt 4x4 unless you own a Jeep, and you shouldnt go 1/4 mile runs unless you own a sports car... WHY THE **** NOT!!! I trail rode my kx, and did the occasional highway ride with my Gsxr... oh and they did brake stands too but thats wrong! :crib:

how about this if i break it, it then becomes my responsibility to fix. As such I will pay for the parts and fix it myself as I have done with just about any moving object that I have owned. I am not an idiot and I understand that. So you drive your truck and let me drive mine.

Either way there is one thing I have learned about this forum and that is people tend to rag on other people for stupid **** that shouldnt even bother them... shoulda known that posting this. Anyways gents hope I didnt offend anyone, wasnt my goal at all.
:comphead:
I guess you really summed it all up when you made factual statement #1:

yup. so the diff is open until i lock it?
makes sens, now i feel kinda dumb haha
Have a nice day.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Its funny this is the 4th time I have re-edited this post... I started flat out calling you a useless ******* but realized that isnt really the way to make friends, so I thought this would work better. My sarcasm was in response to sarcasm that wasnt needed or required in any way shape or form. I did not intend to piss anyone off, just didnt need the responses I received.

I never really thought about what a locker would do unlocked so it was a bit of a doh! moment, but none the less the answer hit me like a ton of bricks.

so thanks for all your help, even though it wasnt very helpful :S

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Its funny this is the 4th time I have re-edited this post... I started flat out calling you a useless ******* but realized that isnt really the way to make friends, so I thought this would work better. My sarcasm was in response to sarcasm that wasnt needed or required in any way shape or form. I did not intend to piss anyone off, just didnt need the responses I received.

I never really thought about what a locker would do unlocked so it was a bit of a doh! moment, but none the less the answer hit me like a ton of bricks.

Thank you for your restraint.

While I am not necessarily a user here that everyone knows, I have observed those who have posted before me. What I noticed is that some of the people who have answered your thread are those same people (regulars people notice), and they don't always spoon feed answers. What they were doing in this case was explaining that locking the rear and attempting a burnout could result in rear end failure.

A lot of people come here seeking information. Some do not heed the information that is given them and then end up complaining when they break things.

I would say that you could consider most anyone here a friend as we all share affection for our trucks and they are mostly all nissans. I have seen few here that have been shunned. Those that are typically are for a reason. Welcome to the club!!

The short answer to your question is that without the rear locked, you have an open differential. Before the thought pops up to lock it and attempt it, use caution as the rear ends in the trucks have been found to break in high traction/locked situations. Spider gear failure is most common.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

Eric, I feel your pain. I get the same B.S. from some of the people on here. You ask a question, and they treat you like cop resonding to a convicted sex offender. Totally piss in your face with a reply.

You were provocted. They (in other words) pointed there finger at you and laughted. And when you responded with the same... all of a sudden your the a$$ hole. How does that happen?

The funny thing is at the end of it... he gave you the answer that he should of in the beginning. What an a$$. I ride my KX450F for Motocross, like it was intended, and I like to ride wheelies for as long as I can. Is that what my bike is ment for... no. And if some one asked me for tips on how ride wheelies like that... I would tell them.

Not jerk them around so I can feel good about my self. (like what you just got from these a$$es)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you for your restraint.

While I am not necessarily a user here that everyone knows, I have observed those who have posted before me. What I noticed is that some of the people who have answered your thread are those same people (regulars people notice), and they don't always spoon feed answers. What they were doing in this case was explaining that locking the rear and attempting a burnout could result in rear end failure.

A lot of people come here seeking information. Some do not heed the information that is given them and then end up complaining when they break things.

I would say that you could consider most anyone here a friend as we all share affection for our trucks and they are mostly all nissans. I have seen few here that have been shunned. Those that are typically are for a reason. Welcome to the club!!

The short answer to your question is that without the rear locked, you have an open differential. Before the thought pops up to lock it and attempt it, use caution as the rear ends in the trucks have been found to break in high traction/locked situations. Spider gear failure is most common.
I dont plan on doing that again thats for sure, not only because I dont want to blow up the rear but tires are damn expensive!!

You know its funny, I was a Toyota guy before buying this and drove a new Tacoma when I was looking for a new one. My ol 92 had 370,000km on it...
I didnt like it. A friend of mine had an X that I drove and fell in love, hence now owning the Nismo. When I did my research I had heard that the Nismo shared the same frame and rear end as the Titan and thought it would be pretty bullet proof. Well the frame is at least... Its really too bad that Nissan took a couple short cuts with this truck because the parts that they didnt are awesome.

While we are on this topic is it typical for the locker to take a bit to unlock? I thought it would as you might have to get the load even on both wheels?

I plan on having this truck for a long time as i just finished school and it was a "good job" gift for myself haha. I had done a few small mods to it and have never had a truck that could climb like this and feels more "sports car..ish" than any other truck I have driven. I wouldnt change it for anything, except maybe one with more stuff done to it haha.

Thanks again guys for the comments, I guess I just need to go with the flow a bit more.

Oh, and ffips no hard feelings eh, thanks for the help!

Eric, I feel your pain. I get the same B.S. from some of the people on here. You ask a question, and they treat you like cop resonding to a convicted sex offender. Totally piss in your face with a reply.

You were provocted. They (in other words) pointed there finger at you and laughted. And when you responded with the same... all of a sudden your the a$$ hole. How does that happen?

The funny thing is at the end of it... he gave you the answer that he should of in the beginning. What an a$$. I ride my KX450F for Motocross, like it was intended, and I like to ride wheelies for as long as I can. Is that what my bike is ment for... no. And if some one asked me for tips on how ride wheelies like that... I would tell them.

Not jerk them around so I can feel good about my self. (like what you just got from these a$$es)
dude I hate looking at your avatar and sig... I miss my kx soo much :(
I could never really get wheelies dialed on that thing, or my gixxer for that matter. I mostly downhill mountainbike, well I say mostly but its like a 3-4 times a week thing, and the brakes are opposite which always messed me up when riding dirt on one wheel hahaha I would always have a tendency to hit the front brake instead of the rear as that would be the rear on my dh bike :crikey: It was always tough because I would break that habit but then just re-enforce it by dhing so much, just needed to practice more I guess.

anyways yeah thats kinda how I felt also but as ffips mentioned in his last post dont take it to personal. They are just goofing around, and unfortunately they are right... damn Nissan and their shortcuts!!
I guess the same rule applies as with the bikes, if you break it you must upgrade it :D thats my excuse to the girlfriend anyways haha

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Okay, I have left this alone for a couple of days but I have to throw some things out there.

There have been plenty of m226 diff failures from Frontiers/Xterras/Titans. It has to deal with the spiders. They are just not strong enough for the power/torque that is put down. Nissan re-designed the diff so that it went from a 2 spider set-up to a 4 spider.

Also, others have mentioned trying to do burnouts with their diffs and it didn't results in a good thing and probably did some damage they didn't realize.

Lastly I did offer you a solution. I mentioned that if you really wanted to do burnouts and didn't really use the locker, you could switch it out for a TruTrac. The TT is basically an LSD that will sense a spinning tire and lock up the diff. A ton of Titan guys have switch over to this for racing and towing purposes and none of them have blown up a diff since. This is something you could do if you choose to.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
and have never had a truck that could climb like this and feels more "sports car..ish" than any other truck I have driven.
I completely agree with that statement.
This motor/transmission combo is quite impressive for a truck.

In a straight line this truck can boogie, corners . . not so much. 8)

·
Registered
225 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts